The Student Room Group

British Empire 20th century

Heya, i have to write an essay on who was really benefitting from the british empire at the beginning of the twentieth century, the question seems to be suggesting that someone is widely known to be benefitting but there are arguments to suggest it was someone else.

I am completely new in this area of history and i would much appreciate any help you could give, even if its just a list of what to read, or simple factors of who the british empire benefitted.

I would assume it provided education, travel and wealth into britain, possibly more security worldwide?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Perhaps discuss the benifits of Pax Britannica to countries other than Britain and its empire.
Reply 2
Yeah just researching that now... does look good thanks ^^ Any other tips or books would be useful :]
Reply 3
I am not an historian but perhaps Niall Ferguson's Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World.
Reply 4
Th0mas1337
Heya, i have to write an essay on who was really benefitting from the british empire at the beginning of the twentieth century, the question seems to be suggesting that someone is widely known to be benefitting but there are arguments to suggest it was someone else.

I am completely new in this area of history and i would much appreciate any help you could give, even if its just a list of what to read, or simple factors of who the british empire benefitted.

I would assume it provided education, travel and wealth into britain, possibly more security worldwide?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

You could actually suggest that a lot of countries weren't benefiting from the British empire.

And be careful about any assumptions you make about education, travel and wealth from the colonies into the metropole--these opportunities were really very limited for most people.

If you're going to read Niall Ferguson, read someone whose views on empire are less rosy, too.
Reply 5
Singapore and Hong Kong.

Latest

Trending

Trending