The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also went to the Open day...

I think Loughborough just gives off that vibe, that vibe that makes you want to be there!

Either way it's my firm, I've looked at Birmingham, Southampton, York and Loughborough just appeals more, more tight knit student community and feel
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
hamzab
Also went to the Open day...

I think Loughborough just gives off that vibe, that vibe that makes you want to be there!

Either way it's my firm, I've looked at Birmingham, Southampton, York and Loughborough just appeals more, more tight knit student community and feel

That's exactly how I felt about it! I've also look at York, as well as Warwick and Durham, but definitely preferred the open day at Loughborough. What are you applying for?
Reply 3
flower226
That's exactly how I felt about it! I've also look at York, as well as Warwick and Durham, but definitely preferred the open day at Loughborough. What are you applying for?

Economics. Yourself?

York was closest to the "Loughborough feel" but tbh, the City wasn't all that it was percieved to be based on the reviews and people I've talked to over the years.

I would apply to Durham, but my GCSEs at 4A*s and 4A's dont meet the 5A* requirement, even then I don't think they like state school applicants that much. Ah well, PPE at Oxford will suffice, fingers crossed!

I've had people tell me to apply to Birmingham instead of Loughborough due to it being Red Brick and Russel group but Loughborough does better in graduate prospectus' in terms of percentage employed in Graduate jobs and starting salaries.

Don't quote me as being sad, but everytime I look at pic of Loughborough I get this warm fuzzy feeling inside, only Royal Holloway and York gave me that slight feel lol :woo:
Reply 4
hamzab
Economics. Yourself?

York was closest to the "Loughborough feel" but tbh, the City wasn't all that it was percieved to be based on the reviews and people I've talked to over the years.

I would apply to Durham, but my GCSEs at 4A*s and 4A's dont meet the 5A* requirement, even then I don't think they like state school applicants that much. Ah well, PPE at Oxford will suffice, fingers crossed!

I've had people tell me to apply to Birmingham instead of Loughborough due to it being Red Brick and Russel group but Loughborough does better in graduate prospectus' in terms of percentage employed in Graduate jobs and starting salaries.

Don't quote me as being sad, but everytime I look at pic of Loughborough I get this warm fuzzy feeling inside, only Royal Holloway and York gave me that slight feel lol :woo:

I'm applying for English Literature - I should hopefully be able to get my application off soon!

Good luck with the application to Oxford - I'm sure it would be great there. I had the same concern about Durham too, and I wasn't sure that I liked the look of the course. And I don't think your sad as I felt exactly the same at Loughborough - I thought I'd feel more at home there than anywhere else I looked at! Do you know anyone that is already there? I just thought I'd ask in this forum to see if anyone could tell me more about what it is actually like studying at Loughborough.
flower226
I'm applying to Loughborough for English and loved the uni and the look of the course at the open day. I'd appreciate the advice of anyone who is already there - doing English or another subject - on what it is like to study there. Also, i'm not into sport - will that be a big problem?

Admitedly i havn't been here that long but so far so good :biggrin:

Really, not being into sport is in no way a problem. Really all it means is that if you want to do anything you can. If it's there you can have high quality facilities. If you don't then it's fine :smile:

I can't comment on the English sorry. But the uni always ranks highly on student satisfaction.

Obvs everyone talks about "The Loughbrough Experience" and Lufbra Walks On Water, which admitedly don'es mean that it will nessacerally be right for you. But it indicates that lots of people come here and love it.

But if you like what you've seen then that's a good indication.

Hope i've been of some help :smile:
flower226
I'm applying to Loughborough for English and loved the uni and the look of the course at the open day. I'd appreciate the advice of anyone who is already there - doing English or another subject - on what it is like to study there. Also, i'm not into sport - will that be a big problem?

Not being into sport isn't a problem at all really. I've never done any of the sport here. Just some badminton, squash and football with friends from time to time.

As for English, can't help I'm afraid.

If it means anything, I did 3 years here, loved it so much I came back and am now doing a masters.
Reply 7
Long Haired Teen
Admitedly i havn't been here that long but so far so good :biggrin:

Really, not being into sport is in no way a problem. Really all it means is that if you want to do anything you can. If it's there you can have high quality facilities. If you don't then it's fine :smile:

I can't comment on the English sorry. But the uni always ranks highly on student satisfaction.

Obvs everyone talks about "The Loughbrough Experience" and Lufbra Walks On Water, which admitedly don'es mean that it will nessacerally be right for you. But it indicates that lots of people come here and love it.

But if you like what you've seen then that's a good indication.

Hope i've been of some help :smile:

Thanks for your opinion! :smile: I'm glad that not being that into sport isn't a problem - I would definitely like to try things if I got in but it's good to know that you don't have to. What's the nightlife like there? I liked the look of Loughborough because it doesn't seem like it would be as busy as some of the big cities, but at the same time still had clubs and that on campus. I'm not a big drinker - although I obviously still like going out with others that drink and having a good time - do you think that would be much of an issue, and are there quieter things to do as well?
flower226
Thanks for your opinion! :smile: I'm glad that not being that into sport isn't a problem - I would definitely like to try things if I got in but it's good to know that you don't have to. What's the nightlife like there? I liked the look of Loughborough because it doesn't seem like it would be as busy as some of the big cities, but at the same time still had clubs and that on campus. I'm not a big drinker - although I obviously still like going out with others that drink and having a good time - do you think that would be much of an issue, and are there quieter things to do as well?

Well depends where you go lol. Tonight i'm going out with a pint and a shot for £1.95 at the union. Ovs if you don't want to go out then you do't have to. There's stuff that's on like the weekly pub quiz :smile:

Personally i havn't been to town that much on nights out. But there's a few clubs. There's also Oceania in Nottingham if you want to travel but there's usually enough on campus or in town to satisfy most people.
Reply 9
Does the uni arrange coach trips and such to places like Nottingham for nights out etc?
Quite simply, it is epic.

If you want to enjoy yourself like you never thought possible and also get a top degree then get yourself here asap!
I live quite close to Loughborough and managed to join in on loads of open days/ taster days/ random uni days with school outings and every time I went there I got that vibe :smile:

I ended up studying at Lough - Human bio. I loved the place. I didn't live there but managed to get most of the student experiences regardless. Sorry I can't be of more help but I absolutely loved the place and to be honest most students who go there do :smile:
Reply 12
hamzab
Does the uni arrange coach trips and such to places like Nottingham for nights out etc?

Yes.

Not doing sport isn't an issue, but IMS encourages everyone to take part.

As for drinking, everyone's too busy dancing to care about what you're drinking so they won't notice if you only have one or two :smile:
Reply 13
:yes:
Lehane
Yes.

Not doing sport isn't an issue, but IMS encourages everyone to take part.

As for drinking, everyone's too busy dancing to care about what you're drinking so they won't notice if you only have one or two :smile:

That's good, I've seen a few videos of bus runs of Loughborough students but don't know where they're going to/from. Always loving the banter on there though!

Sport? Me? We go like butter and toast, I play a lot of Tennis and often play in the Surrey league

However, I don't drink, partly because I'm Muslim and secondly, I hate the smell, but I'll see you on the dancefloor with my J20!
hamzab

I would apply to Durham, but my GCSEs at 4A*s and 4A's dont meet the 5A* requirement, even then I don't think they like state school applicants that much.

are these fictitious requirements?! i hope so haha
Reply 15
flower226
What's the nightlife like there? I liked the look of Loughborough because it doesn't seem like it would be as busy as some of the big cities, but at the same time still had clubs and that on campus.

People I know in Leicester go to Loughborough for nights out. As Leicester is considerably bigger there must be something going for it.

Personally I don't like Loughborough much though, it's all a bit small.
Reply 16
jjackson18624
are these fictitious requirements?! i hope so haha

Nope, afraid not mate, Durham are GCSE-whores, just like the LSE, although, I'm sure if you apply with 3A's or a mixture of A*s and A's at A level they might fancy you a bit more?
Reply 17
thatone
People I know in Leicester go to Loughborough for nights out. As Leicester is considerably bigger there must be something going for it.

Personally I don't like Loughborough much though, it's all a bit small.

You find Loughborough small and yet you go to Royal Holloway? Something is amiss.
Reply 18
hamzab
You find Loughborough small and yet you go to Royal Holloway? Something is amiss.

I never went to Egham before I came here and was lied to by "it's 20 minutes into London". I hate it here.
Reply 19
thatone
I never went to Egham before I came here and was lied to by "it's 20 minutes into London". I hate it here.

Then get a transfer, or take a gap year and reapply or reapply whilst at Royal Holloway with your results as you've already got them, just say you're on a gap year, that way if you don't get any offers which is quite unlikely, stay on for your second year and apply for a MA at a central London uni to get the central London student experience. To get into Royal Holloway I presume you need at least ABB/AAB? So try to get into Uni's in London that are on the same ranking as RHUL, such as Queen Mary, City, Brunel, SOAS etc or better yet go to Loughborough/Leicster/Notts, all excellent Unis.

Latest