The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

None of you are southern unless you can see the Isle of Wight from your bedroom window. FACT.

That's pwopper suvahn. Innit mush.
Reply 121
No it's nort
Original post by Redfez
No it's nort

This is from 9 years ago 😩 I bet he ended up marrying a Londoner
Incorrect. It is common accepted knowledge that in southern England the elite or wannabe elite began pronouncing words differently to distinguish them from common folk and it just stuck and became embedded.The correct pronunciation is the Northern version.
I really can't understand why the BBC lets presenters on TV when they can't speak the Queens English. I can accept accents and colloquialisms but to pronounce words with totally different letters in unacceptable. I am sick to death of the BBC and other channels accepting that this is normal!! Thing isn't Fing! Three isn't Free! Thousand isn't Fousand! Simply put your tongue between your teeth and say 'TH'. Do this everyday and you'll soon get used to the fact that TH isn't an 'F'. If our Children are to watch TV, then surely TV must have presenters on it that can speak properly, otherwise our children will not and never learn how to speak properly. Teachers and parents are also to blame as they don't correct children when they say a word incorrectly. Don't get me wrong!! I'm from Teesside and obviously I have an accent, whatever people may think of it. However, I am at 59 years of age still educating myself on Grammar pronunciation. I have read many reasons why the English Language has been *******ised. This appears to be more apparent from Southern regions of the country. So as Southerners, don't knock the Northern take on words so much because as a matter of fact, it's the southerners who are more guilty of this.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest