The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This guy at my college does.

He's some pro cyclist tho.
Reply 41
mipegg
Density of water is 1000 times that of air and density is a major factor in determining the coefficient of friction of fluids, however, you also have to think about what happens to the hair when it gets wet. Rather than sticking up like in air it flattens to your skin and presents next to no surface area to the orientation which we care about (forewards and backwards) so whilst the overall resistance is many times higher, the resistance from your hair may be the same, may be smaller

I'd imagine it'd still be a bit higher, as a flattened down hair still has its width, which I guess is more than a 1000th of it's length.
But good point on the flattening, I'd not thought of that.
Reply 42
No.
Reply 43
super_dry
especially if you are playing sports such as basketball, football etc

No.

Also though keep in mind tsr is mostly British which are really the most hairy people.
Reply 44
Slumpy
I'd imagine it'd still be a bit higher, as a flattened down hair still has its width, which I guess is more than a 1000th of it's length.
But good point on the flattening, I'd not thought of that.

The width of a human hair compared to its length though? Width is about 10 microns I believe
Smooth bodies are sexy.
Reply 46
No. That's just silly.
Reply 47
mipegg
The width of a human hair compared to its length though? Width is about 10 microns I believe

That sounds too small, but might well be right, I was just guessing from looking:p:
Reply 48
AdaD
No. How would doing that help you play football/basketball?

yes it helps with physiotherapy/massages etc...

i play football, academy level a season ago, i had a calf problem and needed physio therapy and all of that, it wasnt something i had to do but was adviced to shave.

my girlfriend dared me to wax instead! i did wax my legs. needless to say, it was very painful!
Reply 49
Slumpy
That sounds too small, but might well be right, I was just guessing from looking:p:

mmm, well 0.02mm according to google, hairs on my arm seem to be about 2cm (20mm) so I guess its about right...
Arms, yes (and certain places on my legs). Because hair over tattoos looks ******* stupid.
Reply 51
No, I'm not bent.
Reply 52
I have some good vascularity in my upper and forearms, ergo; I appear more jacked than I inevitably am.

Unless you wear shorts every single day, shaving your legs would be incredibly pointless.

All the haters can rely on their checkered Vans and wristbands to attract women, I don't need to.
Reply 53
Jay Deeee
Cyclists shave their legs for hygienic reasons. It's easier to clean cuts, remove plasters (lol), and have thigh/calve massages.

It's True.

It was on QI last night, so it must be :wink:

Yup - Points for you! :woo:
Reply 54
I think the only advantage is if you're a swimmer or if your preeetty hairy it takes about half the time to dry properly in the morning haha.
Reply 55
iamkund

Unless you wear shorts every single day, shaving your legs would be incredibly pointless.

Why? Surely there's more point if you never wear shorts?
Reply 56
no, it's even underlines your masculinity :wink:
Reply 57
sheff-student
Do professional footballers shave or wax their legs? They seem to have smooth legs/thighs ...

No, most don't.
Reply 58
No,,,,
Reply 59
Slumpy
Why? Surely there's more point if you never wear shorts?

You could cop a feel on your own legs while beating it?

It'd be far too much hassle anyway, unless you're one of those guys who has more nostrils than leg hairs.

Latest