The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how do we know, i'd say it'd be competitive so a 2:2 won't cut it?
Reply 2
To let you down gently then no.

Unless its from Oxbridge and you happen to have experience in the area and other ECs.
Reply 3
are you very creative? i suppose if you could demonstrate that your 2:2 should not be much of a hindrance.
Reply 4
To be honest, you may as well not have a degree.
LuluAbu
Please tell me am I likely to get a job in Advertising or Marketing in the current climate?

Looks like you wasted three years. Good luck. Bye. Die?
Reply 6
poossum
To be honest, you may as well not have a degree.

Why's that?
Reply 7
get lots of work experience.. but you may well have to work unpaid for a while
Reply 8
achard
Why's that?

id imagine its not exactly a conceptually challenging course.
Reply 9
I will give you my opinion of this. The industry you are going into is already very competitive, so getting is first is still tough work. A 2.2 is almost like not having a degree since it shows that you are probably pretty lazy, that's my impression of people with 2.2 in an art degree (science degrees are different for me). This isn't a good signal to send out. I would get whatever job you can and go from there. Work experience will most definitely count more than your degree.
Freddy C
I will give you my opinion of this. The industry you are going into is already very competitive, so getting is first is still tough work. A 2.2 is almost like not having a degree since it shows that you are probably pretty lazy, that's my impression of people with 2.2 in an art degree (science degrees are different for me). This isn't a good signal to send out. I would get whatever job you can and go from there. Work experience will most definitely count more than your degree.

How does having a 2:2 mean you are lazy?
To be honest you would struggle to get a job with a degree in Advertising and Brand Management in any climate.
Reply 12
sarahlousie
How does having a 2:2 mean you are lazy?

after my degree, I can say that everyone can get into uni can get a 2.1 if they tried. The amount of lazy people who got 2.1 was ridiculous. So if you got a 2.2, you didn't try. For art students only as I said.
Freddy C
after my degree, I can say that everyone can get into uni can get a 2.1 if they tried. The amount of lazy people who got 2.1 was ridiculous. So if you got a 2.2, you didn't try. For art students only as I said.

I don't think that is true for arts students, I know people who did try hard and still came out with a 2:2
Reply 14
sarahlousie
I don't think that is true for arts students, I know people who did try hard and still came out with a 2:2

were they quite thick then? also what is "try hard" how much extra work outside contact hours they do?
danny111
were they quite thick then? also what is "try hard" how much extra work outside contact hours they do?

No they weren't thick. I don't know I didn't monitor the hours of work they did, though i would guess at 3 hours a day outside contact hours.
With just a degree, not very. With relevant experience, far more likely. Do some unpaid work experience if you can. It's tough out there, so you need to do what you can to get the job you want!
Reply 17
sarahlousie
No they weren't thick. I don't know I didn't monitor the hours of work they did, though i would guess at 3 hours a day outside contact hours.

ah well. somethign must have gone wrong. maybe they lack the talent for whatever course they did. i mean i could never do an art subject (maybe history).
My days there is some utter ******** being written on this thread.

Advertising agencies are NOT so hot on academics. If any of you have had a gander at the application forms they are totally different to other graduate applications and not standardised questions. They're designed to test you're ability to think creatively and get your personality on the form.

I know for fact that WPP, probably the best place to land a gig in advertising will grant you an interview even if you have a 3rd provided the rest of the application form blows them away.

EC's/Work experience really don't matter that much. Its your ability to write creatively and innovatively that matters far more than anything else.
Hear! Hear! Unknown demon.

Latest

Trending

Trending