The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
daniel_williams
I know people who got on to chemistry with only a C and a D in chemistry and biology respectively. with anything above 180 you'll be accepted by bangr, and if you are a high achieving student who they thing has potential once you've been through the open days and the interviews they may even up your offer to an unconditional.

if you put bangor sown as your firm i gaurentee you 100% you'll get in regardless... i'd be so sure of it i'd even put money on it.

Interviews? I probably won't put Bangor as firm, but even so, like I said, I'd be pretty shocked if I got below BCCC (*touch wood*). Actually, they said the higher offer wouldn't affect me on results day, so that'd make the offer 260-300pts. I have 5 as levels at A at the moment, so that's 300 pts, worth the same as DDDDa. Not sure what total percentage you need for a D... 50%? The AS is worth 50% so I don't think it's actually possible for me to miss the offer, unless possibly I didn't turn up to any A2 exams.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 41
sugar-plum-fairy

I got an offer from Bangor yesturday (21st oct) for psychology of 380 points, i was shocked as this is much higher than I was expecting (more or less 100 points higher). I was intending to use Bangor as my insurance, but they want AABc and thats my predictions exactly and that will be a struggle as it is :frown:

Do you know why it's so high? Is it because it's a popular course or is there another reason?
On the site it says 300-280, and 380 is way higher. If you got lower than the conditional offer of 380, would they still let you in? Because I'm panicking about that as well haha.

Cheers,

soph_dawth
soph_dawth
Do you know why it's so high? Is it because it's a popular course or is there another reason?
On the site it says 300-280, and 380 is way higher. If you got lower than the conditional offer of 380, would they still let you in? Because I'm panicking about that as well haha.

Cheers,

soph_dawth

Hi,

They said in their email (and the info pack which I got today) that it was on reconisition of my potential (predictions) and so i actually work for my A2's not be all like o bangor only want 280 points i might just coast the year etc etc, but they imply that as long as you meet their typical offer then you have a place :smile: :woo:

anything above 180 you'll be accepted by bangr

really??

I have 170 points already I think so with a spanish total resist and a psy module resit that should be easily managable just with as lol, as i can imagine will be the same ina lot of other peoples cases

Also, interviews??????????????? what?????????????????????????? :s-smilie: :eek3:
Ooooo pack ey? I'm looking forward to looots of post when I get back! :smile: hopefully anyway

That's if the postal strike hasn't cocked things up :rolleyes:
Hahaha!!

the infor packwas quite good (havnt read it all) but itt was good becuase it had my name on the letter rahter than bhams "Dear Applicant," lol!

Also, it came in a nice plastic wallet type folder with Bangor written on, which was nice :smile:
Reply 45
sugar-plum-fairy

Also, interviews??????????????? what?????????????????????????? :s-smilie: :eek3:

I KNOW!!! Interviews are freaking me out. But I guess they are already interested in you if they want an interview, so you just have to be yourself :smile:
If you already have an offer they wont interview you will they??

Im from near london (south east of it) and I dnt really want to go all that way for the open day and then a again for a poss interview. they pay some of your travel for the open days which is good tho :smile:
up to £35 :smile:

but still grr :frown:

Soph-Dawth, I notice you are applying to two psy courses at Bangor what are they?? psychology and psychology and/with ...??

Also, yay Kent :smile:
Reply 47
They're informal interviews at Bangor. DON'T panic about them. The only way they will affect your offer is by reducing it. (If you do well in your interview they might lower your offer)
All I did in mine was chat about running around as Vikings and about Tolkien. It was fun :grin: (My offer didn't get lowered BTW but it was 240 points which was low anyway. )
Reply 48
Hravan
They're informal interviews at Bangor. DON'T panic about them. The only way they will affect your offer is by reducing it. (If you do well in your interview they might lower your offer)
All I did in mine was chat about running around as Vikings and about Tolkien. It was fun :grin: (My offer didn't get lowered BTW but it was 240 points which was low anyway. )

You mean you get interviewed AFTER getting an offer? =S I haven't heard anything about this. They said before though that higher offers were because of higher potential, so by that logic, doing well at interview would make your offer even higher... Though they also said that a higher offer wouldn't affect you getting in if you missed it, so it's effectively just the standard offer in practice. All a bit weird.
Silly Bangor

my head of year wantstoring them up anyway
saying that its stupid giving me higher than russel group unis (and therefore it disadvantages them as I may be more likly to go to a moreprestigage uni)

ahh this is sooo difficult!!

part of me wishes i only had 2 offers rather than 5 so that i didnt have tochoose lol!!!!!!

:s-smilie:
Reply 50
sugar-plum-fairy
Silly Bangor

my head of year wantstoring them up anyway
saying that its stupid giving me higher than russel group unis (and therefore it disadvantages them as I may be more likly to go to a moreprestigage uni)

ahh this is sooo difficult!!

part of me wishes i only had 2 offers rather than 5 so that i didnt have tochoose lol!!!!!!

:s-smilie:
Why is he ringing them up when they said they'd let you in if you met the standard offer? :s-smilie: And if what Daniel Williams said is correct, they'll probably let you in even if you miss that.
Meliae
Why is he ringing them up when they said they'd let you in if you met the standard offer? :s-smilie: And if what Daniel Williams said is correct, they'll probably let you in even if you miss that.

I dnt know

I have shown him the letter etc buthe said he will look over it more in our monday meeting and then phone them

i was happy not to phone them but he is bloody gd at his job so im gonna leave him to it

:s
Reply 52
Meliae
You mean you get interviewed AFTER getting an offer? =S I haven't heard anything about this. They said before though that higher offers were because of higher potential, so by that logic, doing well at interview would make your offer even higher... Though they also said that a higher offer wouldn't affect you getting in if you missed it, so it's effectively just the standard offer in practice. All a bit weird.

They're informal interviews after you've got your offer. Just so they can learn at little bit more about you, for you to learn a bit more about the uni and if you do well at the interview then they'll lower your offer. Oh and you'll also get shown around the library (it's like Hogwarts :biggrin: ) and stuff.
Aber uni does them as well. Seriously, they are really good. They made up my mind about which uni I was going to. (Bangor was lovely and informal and friendly (plus the person who interviewed me was amazing... he's now my personal tutor :love: ) whereas Aber was pretty regimented and they lowered my offer for simply saying that the issues medieval historians might have compared to modern historians is lack of primary sources and then what primary sources there are being in Old/Middle English or even Old Welsh (being at Aber) and so then you have translation issues. )
Reply 53
Hravan
They're informal interviews after you've got your offer. Just so they can learn at little bit more about you, for you to learn a bit more about the uni and if you do well at the interview then they'll lower your offer. Oh and you'll also get shown around the library (it's like Hogwarts :biggrin: ) and stuff.
Aber uni does them as well. Seriously, they are really good. They made up my mind about which uni I was going to. (Bangor was lovely and informal and friendly (plus the person who interviewed me was amazing... he's now my personal tutor :love: ) whereas Aber was pretty regimented and they lowered my offer for simply saying that the issues medieval historians might have compared to modern historians is lack of primary sources and then what primary sources there are being in Old/Middle English or even Old Welsh (being at Aber) and so then you have translation issues. )

Ok cool. What time of year is that? Is it at the open day things? I got a form about those through the post. Is it for all subjects? I applied for psychology as did the other people in this thread with offers. Sorry about all the questions. :p:
Reply 54
In the 2008-2009 academic year, Bangor Psychology open days were fortnightly on a wednesday throughout the second semester (End Jan+). Probably very similar this year.
Reply 55
Psych!
In the 2008-2009 academic year, Bangor Psychology open days were fortnightly on a wednesday throughout the second semester (End Jan+). Probably very similar this year.

Got the dates for the open days, but a couple of current students have mentioned interviews. They study different subjects though. Waiting for someone to confirm interviews are for all subjects (or at least psych).
Reply 56
I don't think they have generally given interviews for UG Psych courses at Bangor in the past, doesn't mean they won't in the future, of course.
Recieved my offers from Bangor this morning

Zoology with Animal Behaviour- 260 points
Zoology with Animal Ecology- 260 points

I only got my UCAS letter this morning, I wasn't expecting any offers, just logged on to track to see how it worked.
Reply 58
Meliae
Ok cool. What time of year is that? Is it at the open day things? I got a form about those through the post. Is it for all subjects? I applied for psychology as did the other people in this thread with offers. Sorry about all the questions. :p:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/openday.php.en
Reply 59

Some schools will send you an invitation to visit when they confirm that they want to offer you a place, although full details of the offer itself will be sent to you from UCAS.

Other schools will invite you to attend for interview (which usually includes an opportunity to view the School and to go on a tour of the University) before an offer is made.

Ok, so I take it from that page that psychology doesn't interview. My questions weren't about the open days themselves but about interviews and whether they would be conducted at open days.

Latest