The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
ViolatedTreason
it makes you stupid for eating anything that could kill you, even if its not the right one..

i dont like babies or kids.. therefore it is my opinion that they are stupid.

:grumble:
Tangerine Dream
Here are a few photographs of the contents of the dead birds stomachs: (Warning dead bird photos)

Spoiler

rofl thats so incredibly fake
Reply 62
It's ******* disgusting that we have dumped so much **** into our oceans. But i suppose it wont start bothering people until they are affected by it. By then it will be too late though.

how much ******* plastic?

thats a bit more realistic

but this one is just ******* insane..

Aeolus
It's ******* disgusting that we have dumped so much **** into our oceans. But i suppose it wont start bothering people until they are affected by it. By then it will be too late though.

nice picture depicting the rising oceans, but how exactly is littering affecting the level of the oceans?
Reply 65
xands
I always knew the bird was equal to the word...

Have you heard the word about the bird ?
his mum fed it a lighter.

edit- cant resist. BIRD BIRD BIRD, BIRD IS THE WORD im saying
BIRD BIRD BIRD, BIRD IS THE WORD
Have you heard the word about the bird ? its dead.
Lets have a concert to make people more aware of this ever present threat to the world.
The funny thing is how many people here after saying 'poor bird' are actually going to do a single thing to help the environment? How many volunteer to go litter picking on beaches, or give money to charities that attempt to clean up the seas? How many simply throw plastic bottles, can, beer can plastic rings in the bin without a care as to where they might end up?

It's all well and good saying poor bird before tucking back into your fillet of dead animal, gravy, and mash. But how many here actually make any attempt to change their lifestyle?

Those who say we can't do anything it's China's fault are simply deluded. China wouldn't be manufacturing half the crap that ends up in the sea if the west wasn't demanding utterly materialistic trash that nobody really needs.
Aw :frown: This is so sad. It annoys me so much when people drop litter and stuff, what is the point? I think if more people saw these photos they'd think before they drop their litter.
Reply 69
This was mentioned in one of my lectures. It is pretty bad and I agree we should stop littering and polluting, but then again if a species of bird isn't able to tell the difference between food and plastic maybe they deserve to be wiped out - natural selection :/
Reply 70
Tangerine Dream
Here are a few photographs of the contents of the dead birds stomachs: (Warning dead bird photos)

Spoiler

We need a Darwin award for birds.
Reply 71
Anon the 7th
omg how sad :frown:

i hope we all learn something from this

Yeah - don't feed your offspring bits of plastic.:rolleyes:

No wonder 19 of the 21 species of albatross are threatened with extinction, feeding their chicks this sort of tat.:eek3:
Reply 72
ViolatedTreason
nice picture depicting the rising oceans, but how exactly is littering affecting the level of the oceans?

:lolwut:Rising oceans wut? It's actually a picture depicting the size of the pacific rubbish patch.

http://www.treehugger.com/galleries/2009/05/great-pacific-garbage-patch.php
Reply 73
Unless you think mankind came from outerspace, I'm pretty sure we are every bit a part of nature as any other species.

What isn't "natural" is when we deliberately interfere with evolution to stop pandas going extinct because they're cuddly looking.
Aeolus
:lolwut:Rising oceans wut? It's actually a picture depicting the size of the pacific rubbish patch.

http://www.treehugger.com/galleries/2009/05/great-pacific-garbage-patch.php

ah.. nvm, it was on an angle.. i thought it was a continent being flooded..

i know about the massive swirl of ***** in the pacific, but it is no concern of mine tbh. its not affecting me, and me changing what i do is useless unless everyone else changes what they are doing too..

basically, there is nothing we can do, as people do not want to put themselves out to help stop something they cannot see..
Tuppenny
And, as someone elses said, there's way too much plastic in there than should fit in a stomach, surely? I don't believe those pictures haven't been tampered with.

You've clearly never seen an albatross then. They're built to swallow fish whole when they catch them, thus a lighter floating on the surface of the water which would look like a fish from up above could easily be swallowed in one gulp. Their stomachs are also built to store food for the long weeks that they are away from land, so in the grand scheme of things with the amount of crap that's floating in the sea it's fairly easy for them to build up large amounts of plastic in their stomach.

When they do return, you have to remember the chicks are fed via regurgitate so they basically just swallow whatever the parent brings them. In many cases a fair amount of what is brought back is plastic.

David Attenborough regularly campaigns for the plight of the albatross and if you've ever been to any of his lectures or speeches you'll find many of the images of dead or dying birds impacted upon by human rubbish that he uses were taken by him personally whilst travelling for his various documentaries. I think it's quite sad really, that you instantly jump to the conclusion that the images were doctored.
fire2burn
You've clearly never seen an albatross then. They're built to swallow fish whole when they catch them, thus a lighter floating on the surface of the water which would look like a fish from up above could easily be swallowed in one gulp. Their stomachs are also built to store food for the long weeks that they are away from land, so in the grand scheme of things with the amount of crap that's floating in the sea it's fairly easy for them to build up large amounts of plastic in their stomach.

When they do return, you have to remember the chicks are fed via regurgitate so they basically just swallow whatever the parent brings them. In many cases a fair amount of what is brought back is plastic.

David Attenborough regularly campaigns for the plight of the albatross and if you've ever been to any of his lectures or speeches you'll find many of the images of dead or dying birds impacted upon by human rubbish that he uses were taken by him personally whilst travelling for his various documentaries. I think it's quite sad really, that you instantly jump to the conclusion that the images were doctored.

that was doctored.. there is no room at all in that carcas for anything like organs..
Reply 77
By insisting that they didn't alter or rearrange the contents of the birds' stomachs in any way alarm bells should immediately start ringing...
Reply 78
Damn, that ******* bird stole my lighter!
ViolatedTreason

that was doctored.. there is no room at all in that carcas for anything like organs..

If you're simply going to play the ignorance card I'm not going to waste my time of you. If you ever have the time try to attend one of the fantastic lectures by David Attenborough on the issue of Albatross.

That and the body of larger species of albatross are like the size of footballs, if you compiled the waste that is pictured into a 3d clump it probably wouldn't even fill a 3rd of the bird in question. Thus it's easy for that amount of waste to be present in one bird.

Latest

Trending

Trending