The Student Room Group

Happy Architecture Or Stressful Medicine?

Ok i'll get to the pooooint.

I've been having doubts with my careers and which one to choose. The first career i wanted to go into was Architecture. This was because it seemed like a fun job, and it was dead interesting to me. :smile:

Then i came across medicine. It was interesting because it was about the body and i had a natural interest in Immunology. :redface:

But from what i've heard Medicine is really STRESSFUL. The pay for medicine is fairly high however the salary for architecture is lower than i would have hoped for (apparently around £30 K). I would expect medicine to get in the way of my happiness because of all the tests, but architecture should be a happy career for me.

What do i choose between, happiness or money? I don't want to be earning around £30 K a year when i could be earning up to £100K being a Doc. But monesy DOES buy you happiness. Also i have to chose my A levels and quick, because im starting my AS subjects in September.

BTW I HATE Physics and Maths (but from what ive heard you don't need to take these for Architecture A level). Really Confused over how my career should go :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
always go to what ure heart says and not what ure brain says.. i think

brain says = medicine

heart says = architecture

I have the same dilemma. I can see me as an architect designing stuff... i love architecture as it is a means of expressing ure artistic nature but hey...
Reply 2
flipflop2
Ok i'll get to the pooooint.

I've been having doubts with my careers and which one to choose. The first career i wanted to go into was Architecture. This was because it seemed like a fun job, and it was dead interesting to me. :smile:

Then i came across medicine. It was interesting because it was about the body and i had a natural interest in Immunology. :redface:

But from what i've heard Medicine is really STRESSFUL. The pay for medicine is fairly high however the salary for architecture is lower than i would have hoped for (apparently around £30 K). I would expect medicine to get in the way of my happiness because of all the tests, but architecture should be a happy career for me.

What do i choose between, happiness or money? I don't want to be earning around £30 K a year when i could be earning up to £100K being a Doc. But monesy DOES buy you happiness. Also i have to chose my A levels and quick, because im starting my AS subjects in September.

BTW I HATE Physics and Maths (but from what ive heard you don't need to take these for Architecture A level). Really Confused over how my career should go :rolleyes:

Architecture is an extremely stressful and extremely underpaid profession. I work in a closely allied profession and can tell you that I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Reply 3
nasht
I can see me as an architect designing stuff... i love architecture as it is a means of expressing ure artistic nature but hey...

You should loose all these wooly notions about sitting at a drawing board designing beautiful buildings and get used to the idea of putting concept designs together in ridiculously short time frames that are heavily constrained by ludicrously tight budgets to be handed over to unhelpful contractors in design-build schemes and then project managing the entire scheme and explaining to your client why what you have designed/built is $1m over budget.

After your client calls you a ****in imbecile you can look forward to weeks and weeks (believe me; it'll seem longer) of "value engineering"; the process by which those nice Italian tiles you chose for the corporate suite get changed out for cheap Home Depot equivalents to get back to budget. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
ooooooK So i guess its medicine then. But ive been put off by a friend who told me about how stressful it was and how you have to take a test every 5 years and then how you work stupidly long hours.

I don't wanna be killing myself with all the stress of the working hours. When i told mi mom i might not wanna do Medicine she was a bit peeed LOL, (My life ! ). But that was expected. Anyway don't you have to work your ass off for medicine and have like no social life/ no family time?
Reply 5
so you want a continually low stress, low hours, low effort, low continuous validation/assessment job?

& earning £30k per year certainly isn't good enough?

hmm, good luck*! :p:

*i think, excluding raw amazing talent/extreme luck, people generally tend to earn their money by such things as surviving stress, long hours, putting in effort, proving their capabilities... :wink:
Reply 6
Elles
so you want a continually low stress, low hours, low effort, low continuous validation/assessment job?

& earning £30k per year certainly isn't good enough?

hmm, good luck... :p: :wink:

Nooo. But Doctors apparently work over the 48hour weekly limit set by the government. Thats stressful! Just imagine a life like that. You'd get home and it would be time to sleep. You'd hardly ever see your family because of the working hours.
I think some of us actually want to do medicine.......if you wanted to you would know....by the sounds of it, all you want is no hassle and money, wouldnt we all, but if u wanted to do med u wudnt care boutt eh hours etc, cus its about the job NOT the money....so go be an accountant or sumat.
Reply 8
if ur not 100% committed to either subject then y not do a more general subject at uni that will open out to loads of jobs rather than a vocational degree?
Reply 9
You sound like you're not too sure what either job involves (no offence) I would sugesst doing a bit more research try http://www.connexions.gov.uk/jobs4u/ for some more info, also you're only choosing your AS levels, if you're doing 4 you could easily choose some subjects which would cover both careers (esp. if you're doing 4 ASs).
Reply 10
Look mate...

I used to think I wanted to do medicine... Why? Because of the money, the sense of feeling for helping people and the fact it's science etc...

But now I know that I do not want to do medicine. Why? Because I don't want to work 60 hour weeks. I don't want to be at university for 5/6 years then do the PRHO which is more exams. I didn't want to have to work five days a week, long hours, then work weekend and still work the following week... I didn't want to practically have to live in the hospital when I was starting out.

I know there is a lot of money envolved. But generally you will only start to earn £100,000+ when you are 35 at the earliest and a consultant, running a department. And that results in a lot of stress...

Money does equal happiness maybe, but the money will not seem worthwhile for the amount of stress and long hours you have to put in, if you don't enjoy your job.

I'm in yr12, almost got to start applying for uni and I still don't know what I want to do. But, I know that I'm going to do the subject that gives me the most enjoyment so I enjoy what I do...

If you don't like maths and physics, then please don't do them. You will only lose interest and end up getting poor results - do what you enjoy! Don't get into this mind set where you think that only architecture and medicine are the only things open to you. Because you can do plenty more :wink:
Reply 11
medicine is not a crap career... my dads a doctor and he doesn't work 60 hrs a week. He works about the average of 40. He earns around 150K because he does private stuff as well. plus he gets to jet around the world and go to conferences, which are all paid for, so the job does have many perks and he has job security for life.

Plus if you want to make A LOT of money..... become a surgeon and go to america. Lots of plastic surgeons in america are multimillionaires so they can pick and choose when they work and who they work with.
Reply 12
^ It is really not that simple at all. You have to be very good and extremely lucky to pick up a job like that. It is really not that simple as deciding to be a plastic surgeon; and instantly becoming a millionaire.
You will work ridiculously long, stressful and underpaid hours as an architect as much as a doctor. Do what you really want to do.
Howard
You should loose all these wooly notions about sitting at a drawing board designing beautiful buildings and get used to the idea of putting concept designs together in ridiculously short time frames that are heavily constrained by ludicrously tight budgets to be handed over to unhelpful contractors in design-build schemes and then project managing the entire scheme and explaining to your client why what you have designed/built is $1m over budget.:

It all depends what type of architect you want to be and where you are working. For every one of those stressed, bawled at individuals, I can name you an architect who after 10 years is running their own practise, bringing in over £100K a year and working from an office next to home the hours he wants. It depends what risk / reward profile you're aiming for, how much natural ability you have and how good you are at organising your client base and spreading your reputation. For any profession (perhaps with the exception of medecine when your hours are dictated to you by your patients) you can be a blithering idiot, working 3 times as many hours as you need to just because you're unfocused and perhaps not in the right career. I wouldn't discourage anyone who deep down thinks their calling is in a certain field.

How much do you think Richard Rogers, Rem Koolhaas, Norman Foster, et al. bring in each year. I'm betting its a pretty large multiple of £30K - and I'm willing to take a bet that there is not a cosmetic surgeon or any other medical practioner in the world that can match their annual income. Yes they are the exception, top of their game, but someone's got to get there haven't they?
jrhartley
For every one of those stressed, bawled at individuals, I can name you an architect who after 10 years is running their own practise, bringing in over £100K a year and working from an office next to home the hours he wants.

I bet you can't. Architecture is a hugely underpaid profession, and it's very, very tough to get to the top.
Reply 16
jrhartley
It all depends what type of architect you want to be and where you are working. For every one of those stressed, bawled at individuals, I can name you an architect who after 10 years is running their own practise, bringing in over £100K a year and working from an office next to home the hours he wants. It depends what risk / reward profile you're aiming for, how much natural ability you have and how good you are at organising your client base and spreading your reputation. For any profession (perhaps with the exception of medecine when your hours are dictated to you by your patients) you can be a blithering idiot, working 3 times as many hours as you need to just because you're unfocused and perhaps not in the right career. I wouldn't discourage anyone who deep down thinks their calling is in a certain field.

How much do you think Richard Rogers, Rem Koolhaas, Norman Foster, et al. bring in each year. I'm betting its a pretty large multiple of £30K - and I'm willing to take a bet that there is not a cosmetic surgeon or any other medical practioner in the world that can match their annual income. Yes they are the exception, top of their game, but someone's got to get there haven't they?

I'm sure there are cosmetic surgeons that can match their salaries..... Dr 90210..... even though its a reality tv program.... the guy still rakes it in.
Reply 17
The pay in medicine is *****! Starting salary of £19k after 5 years plus at uni...

True it does rise, but compare not nearly fast enough...

If it's money you're after. Neither career seems to suit... go for The City :wink:
Reply 18
se77en
Plus if you want to make A LOT of money..... become a surgeon and go to america. Lots of plastic surgeons in america are multimillionaires so they can pick and choose when they work and who they work with.

And most have been sued several times...
Reply 19
If you want to medicine, or think you might want to then you'll need some work experience in some kind of hospital/caring environment. Maybe shadowing a [junior] doctor for a week or so at your local hospital. You'll get a feel of how things are done, what it's like early on and then if it's encouraging you can do more and maybe volunteer at a care home or something like that.

Have a look at both careers and decide which you think you'll be most suited to and don't base the decision on stereotypes, you'll have to go and have a look for yourself :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending