The Student Room Group

there exists a prime in the interval...

i'm coming up with a delightfully convoluted way of solving a problem, and now need to prove the following:

show that for n>0, there exists a prime in the set {2^n + 1, 2^n+2, ... , 2^(n+1) }

i have not a clue how to do this, though it feels it should be true...
Reply 1
This is weaker than Bertrand's postulate (there is a prime n<p<2n for all n), but I think the most 'natural' way to prove it would be using the same proof. (If you know it, that is)

What's the original question?
Reply 2
surely just an example would do?

eg when n=2 2^n + 1 = 5

which is prime

hmm maybe not... doesn't prove it, just shows it is true sometimes
Reply 3
Nytram12
surely just an example would do?

eg when n=2 2^n + 1 = 5

which is prime

yeah, but i'm struggling to find an example for the n=353421523 case
Reply 4
Chewwy
yeah, but i'm struggling to find an example for the n=353421523 case

well thats just easy. can't see why ur stuck there
Reply 5
SimonM
This is weaker than Betrand's postulate (there is a prime n<p<2n for all n), but I think the most 'natural' way to prove it would be using the same proof. (If you know it, that is)I agree, but it's Bertrand (as I'm sure you know).

I'm not sure if it's enough weaker than Bertrand's postulate that there will be an easier proof - my gut feeling is no, but the proof of Bertrand seems a bit tough to set as a problem question.
Reply 6
DFranklin

I'm not sure if it's enough weaker than Bertrand's postulate that there will be an easier proof - my gut feeling is no, but the proof of Bertrand seems a bit tough to set as a problem question.

Agreed, hence why I asked for the original question and suggested the 'standard' proof. (Thanks for the typo catch)
Reply 7
ok, this is the original question. prepare to be underwhelmed:

use the fundamental theorem of arithmetic to show

x(1+logxlog2)π(x)x \leq \big ( 1 + \frac{logx}{log2}\big ) ^{\pi (x)}
Reply 8
I haven't gone through the details, but I'm pretty sure you can get this out by noting that every integer N <= x (as well as some bigger than x), can be written in the form

N=p1a1...pnanN = p_1^{a_1}...p_n^{a_n} where p_1 = 2, p_2 = 3 etc. the a_i are integers and n = pi(x).

Latest