The Student Room Group

Does this count as swearing

So I sent my friend an email that included the phrases "pissed off" and "kick up the arse", neither phrase I know are particularly nice, but I wouldn't have considered them to be particularly vulgar.

Anyways, she emailed me back and at the end wrote PS Please watch the colourful language as this is my work email....so I read back over the email and at first glance I couldn't even find out what she was referring too... It really annoyed me because I didn't think they counted at swear words(although to be honest I'm more annoyed because she's always criticising me and I'm getting sensitive to it, but that's a different issue) Anyways, I think she was being really uptight(it's not like she can get in trouble because I used those two words) but it got me thinking..do you consider them to be swear words? I'm curious to know what people think.
Reply 1
I'd certainly consider it language not suitable for work, yes.
Reply 2
I think your friend suffers from a recently discovered disease called "bugcrawledupmyassitis".
Reply 3
I probably wouldn't be told off for using them at school but I'd try not to use them in the first place. They're not swearing in my books but they're hardly pleasant words and there are ways of saying those phrases which are less likely to cause offence.
At work the employers have the authority to check your work e-mail so anything that can tarnish an employee's reputation should be discontinued.
Reply 5
Kagutsuchi
At work the employers have the authority to check your work e-mail so anything that can tarnish an employee's reputation should be discontinued.

Yeah, absolutely, but do you honestly think that my friend can get in trouble for me using those words.
Nothing wrong with it.

The language most people at work use is a disgrace! Most people swear.
Well...they're not filtered by the swear filter. :wink: However, I'm not entirely sure of the context, but in your friends workplace, it may be a bit out of place, on the other hand, you weren't to know this. I certainly wouldn't say 'kick up the arse' is swearing, I imagine your friend was referring to 'pissed off.'
Really? Seems like a bit of a bitch tbf 'cos I don't believe anyone can be that pissy. If your friend gets fired for that, her work were looking to fire her anyway.
Maybe she has super sensitive bosses.
Reply 10
wouldn't consider them swear words but then again i dount really consider anywords off limits including **** and ****.

At work you could be told off for that language i supose depends where you work, in my mums office they have a mascot teddybear named ****ichops.
Reply 11
Where does she work? The Vatican?
Reply 12
didn't she emphasised that it was her WORK email?! therefore, she don't want her boss seeing anything that is remotely negative!!! why can't you send to her personal email instead?!
roxy potter
Yeah, absolutely, but do you honestly think that my friend can get in trouble for me using those words.

Possibly. Depends how antsy the employer is.

Latest

Trending

Trending