The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well i think freud is full of ****. I fundamentally disagree with the premise that anybody subconciously wants to **** their mom.
I disagree with his theory, but the fact of the matter it's a clever one. Those who agree with it can easily pull the 'you're in denial' card on those of us that don't. They could have a point, but I'd rather believe otherwise.
Reply 3
Freud is now well known to have faked almost all of his results. It remains a mystery to me that he is so highly regarded in the public eye, when almost every serious psychologist laughs at his ridiculous ideas.
It's an artifact of non-scientific Psychology and is no longer taught (non-historically) on the modern syllabus.
Reply 5
Should've put this in H&R for more reliable results :biggrin:
Reply 6
The Oedipius complex was used to show Freud's pervert ideas.
Reply 7
I got taught it at GCSE two years ago.
mcp2
I got taught it at GCSE two years ago.

Was referring to degree level, bro.
Reply 9
GodspeedGehenna
Was referring to degree level, bro.

OK, bro.
Freud needed to see a shrink.

Oh the irony.
While the field has moved on a lot since Freud, psychodynamic oriented psychologists still use the "Oedipus complex" in their clinical work. Its not really about literally wanting to sleep with your mother, but relates to patterns related to identification, achievement and posession. I speak more about it here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15435766&highlight=Oedipus#post15435766

At the undergraduate level, you are not going to get the full picture or cover this in any depth, so its probably just useful to think of it as a historical construct. If you want to go on to be a clinical psychologist or become decent at any form of psychotherapy accept you may have to re-evaluate this later.

Latest