The Student Room Group

MO theory, bond order and diatomic energy level diagrams

I've just finished (finally) drawing an energy level diagram for O2, but now I have to find the bond order for a superoxide ion....I know it has 13 valence electrons as opposed to 12 for O2, but I don't understand where i would put it on the energy level diagram? How would I know where it would go??

I found the answer, b.o=1/2(8-5)= 1.5 and i know that O2 is b.o=1/2(8-4)=2, but i dont understand why it wouldnt be 9-4 instead of 8-5?

Sorry if I didn't explain it very well! Any help would be appreciated :smile:
The extra electron would go in the LUMO, for 3O2 this would be in the pi* orbitals which is antibonding :smile:

O2 should be = 1/2 (10 - 6) = 2

So O2- = 1/2(10 - 7) = 1.5
Reply 2
Thank you! Just a couple of questions, sorry for sounding ignorant, but what is the LUMO? In my book it says O2 is 1/2(8-4), how did you get 10-6? Are you including the 1s electrons?
Lowest unoccupied MO :smile:

I am counting the 1s electrons, yes (so should your book :p:)
Reply 4
Ahhh, so thats a general rule..so a peroxide ion has 2 extra electrons (than O2) so the 2 electrons would go to the LUMO and the bond order would be 1/2(8-6)?

Haha this is a brand new university issued textbook so it definitely should! I assume as it doesn't I wouldn't have to in an exam...hopefully!
Original post by nikki14
Thank you! Just a couple of questions, sorry for sounding ignorant, but what is the LUMO? In my book it says O2 is 1/2(8-4), how did you get 10-6? Are you including the 1s electrons?

yes 1s is also included
Original post by sunit sinha
yes 1s is also included

I am sure that Nikki14 appreciates your help after his/her question of six and a half years ago!...

... particularly as EVS actually answered the question seven minutes later ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by sunit sinha
yes 1s is also included

I think I found something of yours:

Quick Reply

Latest