The Student Room Group

How do you turn an essay into an argument?

So I understand at AS/A2 history, you have to give essays an argument in order to achieve the top mark band...but how do I do this AND make a balanced answer?

I know that your allowed your say in the conclusion, in fact your marked down for sitting on the fence in it...

*confused*

Thanks for any advice/help

P.S. Sorry if this is a stupid question :frown:
basically, you have an opinion from the very beginning of the essay and keep to it throughout
Write it as you would a normal essay, but finish it with the sentence, "If you disagree, kill yourself."
balanced just means you give both sides. So, give the evidence for the opposing opinion, but make sure you evaluate it. If you do this well, you can show how it isn't sufficient evidence to destroy your claim.
Don't "give both sides". In your introduction clearly set out you line of argument and stick to it. When giving alternative views, discuss them then say why they are wrong.
Reply 5
You give your opinion and evidence to back it up, and basically say "this is the evidence for the other side of the argument, and here is evidence why this argument is wrong."
Reply 6
So....

My point, evidence and analysis
The other sides point, evidence and analysis
State why other side is wrong
Link

etc etc?

Surely all essays are arguments? It's just the amount of depth/flair that changes as you progress?

You need to consider what your overall argument is whilst incorporating opposing and similar points of view - each viewpoint should usually equal a new paragraph and a new topic, maybe have two on the same topic with different views in one paragraph. Then discuss your opinion on each, whilst summarizing their reliability as a source and using the facts to back your own opinion up.
There you go, one essay. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending