The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

LSE MSc Finance & Economics/ Oxford MFE

Hey guys,

Do you think having a class in linear algebra would be necessary to be admitted into either of these programs? I know Oxford's MFE technically doesn't have a math requirement, but i'm wondering how much it would help. Does LSE only admit students with extremely strong quantitative backgrounds for this program? I scored high on the GMAT and had a solid quantitative score for the test, but I didn't take this class for my undergrad so I'm a bit curious.

Also does anybody know an approximate ratio for the number of offers to the number of applicants for both of these programs, as well as the MSc Finance for LSE?

Thanks,
Brandon
Reply 1
Hey Brandon

You really need to know Matrix/Linear algebra to survive the LSE course. Believe me, I am MSc Fin&Econ student and I am glad I have taken a full year course in lin algebra. First lecture starts with differentiating matrices. If you dont know what that is, you shouldnt even consider taking this course.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Differenciating matrices? I did that in my first year in BSc Economics. Only small matrices mind you.
Reply 3
The LSE programme is much more theoretical than the Oxford MFE and so the math component is more important for the former.

Concerning the applicants to offer ratio, LSE doesn't explicitly state these. However, it is clear from forums like these that LSE gives out LOADS of offers. Possibly this is because LSE receives more applications (people are generally less confident to apply to Oxbridge) although I do think LSE is slightly easier to get into. My estimate is probably about a 25% offer rate at LSE.

Latest

Trending

Trending