The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Eru
Well i never used burn primarily in any of my decks, but i always put a couple of spells in when i was playing red, just to have the option available (mostly breath of darigaaz as mass removal against weenie/swarm decks).

Well yeah, i agree with that, though i prefer personally playing a benzo/reanimator sort of deck with the mongrel, so with the Black/Green combo i can also play the ever annoying spiritmonger.

Spiritmonger was a bitch. Really. For about two years. If I didn't kill them by turn five, that thing really spoiled it for me.
Is it kind of like Yu gi oh?

:|

*cries*
~MOi~
Craig what a pleaure meeting YOU here. :smile:
Can someone explain to me how the game goes? Is it kind of like Yu gi oh? Cause I played it once...

Its certainly not like Yu-Gi-Oh, its far more complex. Yu-Gi-Oh is pretty much all about having the biggest creatures you can find with some monster reborns to win the match easily, as theres little scope for strategy in it. Its a little kids card game. Magic has alot of opportunities for playing intelligently and strategically, so its for people who have grown out of that phase (although, and i may get alot of stick for this, playing games like Yu-Gi-Oh etc can actually help develop strategy in playing Magic)
2 5 +
Spiritmonger was a bitch. Really. For about two years. If I didn't kill them by turn five, that thing really spoiled it for me.

Which is, of course, the power of the Benzo/Reanimator, as you can get a turn two or three spiritmonger with it... but yeah, if your on the other end of it, it isn't all that fun to deal with.
I have recently moved away from the big 6/5 fatties and I tend to spend max 3 mana on creatures, possibly pumping them up with something
2 5 +

I quote, from www.misetings.com:

Spiritmonger Causes Bowel Movement
By: MB - September 19, 2001
In a recent Providence PTQ, an unnamed man was fortunate enough to resolve not one, but two Spritmongers, back-to-back. This awesome display of force allegedly caused his opponent to ... um.. "sh*t his pants".

A 6/6 regenerator for 3BG, Spiritmonger can safely be described as a "sick beast." Spiritmonger is the only known creature in Magic that has yet caused this affect on an opponent, although some Magic theorists reckon that a Morphling could, under the right circumstances, have a similar effect.

Brian Kibler, Pro Tour Semifinalist and current favorite to win this years Magic Invitational, commented, "If someone played monger, monger vs me i may SAY i sh*t my pants, but i don't think i actually would."

:laugh: :rofl:
Reply 46
Eru
Its certainly not like Yu-Gi-Oh, its far more complex. Yu-Gi-Oh is pretty much all about having the biggest creatures you can find with some monster reborns to win the match easily, as theres little scope for strategy in it. Its a little kids card game. Magic has alot of opportunities for playing intelligently and strategically, so its for people who have grown out of that phase (although, and i may get alot of stick for this, playing games like Yu-Gi-Oh etc can actually help develop strategy in playing Magic)

I had some deck or other in yu-gi-oh, but I didnt like it really. With magic, you can buy a starter deck and get started straight away. You an also win with lots of wee critters rather than just a few big dragon things. Because of this with yu-gi-oh you have to shell out loads for lots of big cards. I didnt want to so I lost every time - with yu-gi-oh the deck with more powerful creatures nearly always wins.

With Magic I usually played with either a big green deck with lots of trample etc. or a deck with lots of little creatures. Although I had lots of custom decks my favourite was almost completely based around an artifact starter deck (cant remember which - prelude to the fifth dawn series I think or possibly fifth dawn itself). The creatures had the ability to pass on their strength/defense to other artifacts on the field when they died so my pponent always knew that by dfending himself he was only preparing for a big hit in the future.
Reply 47
And what is Spirtmonger? Im afraid I dont have a clue.
Another good card is platinum angel! it's only 4:4, but as long as it is in play you can't lose and your opponent can't win!
~MOi~
Craig what a pleaure meeting YOU here. :smile:
Can someone explain to me how the game goes? Is it kind of like Yu gi oh? Cause I played it once...

I'm afraid not, but the life score thing is similar in the two games. I personally don't like yu gi oh.

As for explaining how it goes... I'd be here all day! you would really need a starter set with a guided game to learn how to play.
Reply 50
My group worked it out as we went (though I had the greatest general knowledge of the rules). To the date when we stopped, I was still reaching new heights of understanding.

In all honesty, Magic is to Yu-gi-oh as a candle to the sun.
Reply 51
And what is Spirtmonger? Im afraid I dont have a clue

Off the top of my head (don't take this as truth, as I can't be arsed searching), I remember:

Spiritmonger
3GB
Creature
6/6

G: Spiritmonger's colour becomes the colour of you choice until EOT.
B: Regenerate Spiritmonger.

Whenever Spiritmonger does damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on Spiritmonger.
Reply 52
Ooh, nasty.

Thanks for the info.
staylor
Ooh, nasty.

Thanks for the info.

Still no match for Denisen of the Deep, though.
Reply 54
Just dug out my old decks (hidden from stealing brothers). My favourite (the 'transference' starter deck) was missing though, and I was annoyed to find that the Pressure Cooker Odyssey box was full of yu-gi-oh cards :mad:.
Yu-gi-oh cards :eek: must have been quite a shock :eek:
Reply 56
It certainly was! And they have terrible names as well.

On the bright side, I found my favourite old combination. The enchantment (black I think) which makes the enemy lose 2 life every time he puts a card in his graveyard. This, coupled with traumatize which makes them disose of the top half of their deck - bye bye 60 life :biggrin:.
Reply 57
Im decided - Im buying more cards tomorrow.
good for you :smile: have your exams finished yet? mine finished today :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 59
My last one was almost a week ago now :biggrin:, though Ive only just found the tim to go to Leeds :redface:.

Latest