The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
GastroGrub
what exam board is this cos i thought i had a history paper on nazi germany tomorrow....

edexcel
Reply 21
LondonSteve181
No way will 42 get an A, more like 48. 42/60 is 70%, thats the B percentage. An A is normally around 80% therefore 48/60. C will be something like 36/60, 60%

For the raw mark conversion to UMS - ie, what they detirmine to be the lowest A grade and thus give 80 UMS too, its usually around 41/42/43 - I've never seen one as high as you mention....actually had a Politics papers, and an easy one too, that gave me 100 UMS from 47/60 raw marks.

Anyway - I found the paper quite interesting too - Loving the fact that I read about resistenz and 'low level opposition' for question a. :biggrin:

For b, I did the stuff about terror state vs propaganda vs hitler myth - concluded the Hitler Myth was unifying + brought in idea of Hitler unifying his own deputies to one common aim (What Kershaw calls 'working towards the Fuhrer). Annoyed about not putting in State Pateralism tho.... :mad:
I put in about state paternalism, whauden i have been bricking it thinking **** I didn't really talk about terror, coz didn't really c how it unified, but that comment of urs has jus made me feel so much better. I put the working towards the fuhrer bit, i'm not sure which source i added it to tho lol.

So we're looking at about 42/60 to get around 96/120 which is the A grade UMS boundary? If thats true then thats the best news ive heard today!
Yeh - you can get all this info on the edexcel website, just go to www.edexcel.org and follow the links to history-advanced level-unit 6 examiner's report

Dave
Reply 24
The questions were a gift after the unit 5 representation and democracy paper.

i am really worried that I barely mentioned structuralist and intentionalist stuff though, jsut didnt think of it as being too important.

For A did everyone jsut write about resistenz and widerstand? Thats all I did, and I talked about east and west german historians interpretations of opposition and rubbish like that.
For part A i talked about Resistenz, as showed in sources, but then talked about Widerstand and the two institutions wihch could potentially oppose the regime; church and army and demonstrated their impotency.

I don't think the structuralist/intentionalist debate was essential at all for part B, this is not about was Hitler in control but more whether his personality created unity. I made a fleeting reference to polycracy and monolithic monocracy but didn't make a big deal about it.
OMG I've just checked on edexcel and you are totally right, i so capitulate. Says that 40/60 is the raw mark for an A, holy sh*t!!!! However 35/60 for a B? That's jus over half marks, i don't get why the boundaries are so low.
Reply 27
!Laxy!
Qa was a gift. no problemo at all.

Qb was really strange. In the end i tried to break down the question. I wrote about:

- Percieved unity due to Gestapo pressure but not really united.
- Less united as time went on (change over time!)
- Hitler as a great orator.
- Use of propaganda machinery (ie radio)
- Many people united behind Hitler but not behind Nazi PARTY.
- Was Hitler in control? (Struct v's Intent)

May be also other things but i can't remember. Should i have included anything else??

The Struct v's Intent COULD be brought in as the question asked about Hitlers charismatic 'leadership' - did he lead? Although it should not have formed the bases of your arguement.

oh sounds like you did v. well! :smile: i kinda attempted to include that kinda stuff but ended saying how all the schemes made them feel united as well like KdF or Hitler youth. but the sources were mainly saying how he wasn't liked at all when i thought he was the main reason people accepted the nazi party?!?
The sources all said he WAS liked, not disliked. The sources showed how people were dissatisfied with the party at times, but as Peukert said Hitler was seen as above this and immune to criticism.
Reply 29
LondonSteve181
The sources all said he WAS liked, not disliked. The sources showed how people were dissatisfied with the party at times, but as Peukert said Hitler was seen as above this and immune to criticism.

o dear.

Latest