Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Classical Music Society

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Welcome

A few members have expressed a desire for a haven to talk about classical music - from traditional, film, baroque to contemporary. All classical music discussion is welcome here

So I'm your founder. I'm Mike. I like all sorts of classical, but generally I prefer more tonal/melodic stuff. I totally love JS Bach, Mozart, Beethoven (no kidding), Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Holst and Haydn to name a few! I've recently started getting into film music too which I'm sure I can learn more about from others in this here society

See attachment for my proposed logo :cool: I originally had something more complex but it really didn't work when shrunk, so I opted for something simple yet powerful: a quaver

Note: I am aware of the existance of the UKL Music Society, but this seems to be more for music students and it's still lurking about in the academic subforums.

Note #2: I've closed my film music society thread upon creation of this one

Note #3: No need for a member list. If you're a tr00 member it'll show up under 'My Societies'!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: bmp mew2.bmp (4.5 KB, 346 views)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bach is chordally a genius.
    Have you heard much Mussorgsky? There's another very good composer. I reccommend Pictures At An Exhibition, and Night On A Bald/Bare Mountain.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know Mossourgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition quite well, along with a couple of other pieces which I can't remember the names of. I agree he's great too Especially PAAE #4!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooooo, I love pictures at an exhibition, played it last year with the local youth orchestra, nice stuff...

I tend not to got for Baroque stuff (except for the really popular violin concertos etc), it bores me, much prefer more romantic and contemporary stuff. HUGE fan of Shostakovich, as well as Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Mahler, Satie, Debussy, Chopin, Sibelius, Tarrega.

As for film music, John Williams is a genius, although has anyone noticed that the theme from Schindler's list sounds suspiciously similar to the Harry Potter main theme? Practically identical!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: I haven't noticed that, no... but the idea that those two films contain the same tune is quite funny.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i love debussy! his images, estampers and pour le piano are amazing and they are seriously underplayed. my goal of the summer is to play them all , and as for film music, i love phantom of the opera
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So who wants to be in?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm most definitely in!!
    Loving Bach (the St John and St Matthew Passions - fab), Handel (ooh the Coronation Anthems), Mozart just because he is such a legend and Dvorak for his amazing harmonies and ridiculous key changes!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I actually read the other day that they've discovered a new Bach mass
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be in!!!
    Another Bach Mass? Isn't it a bit late?? :P
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    So I actually read the other day that they've discovered a new Bach mass
    Awesome! He's actually a legend. And he had a bazillion kids or something.....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
    Awesome! He's actually a legend. And he had a bazillion kids or something.....
    20 And 3 of them were half-decent composers themselves.

I want a big book on classical music for my birthday - any recommendations?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can put me down too . I'm mainly into the Classical/Romantic eras, though I do listen to other things too... Mozart is a particular favourite of mine (not very original, I know).

I seem to have quite a collection of piano concertos (Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Grieg, Shostakovich....the list goes on). I also really like opera, especially anything sung by Maria Callas - what a voice... And I really wish I could play the cello; there are some truly wonderful cello concertos out there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would love to be put in! Recently I've become obsessed with Debussy, I find that once I accomplish the piece technically only a little tweaking needs to be done before its up to my standard. Mozart just irritates me, though it is rewarding when it sounds perfect.
    I play the cello! Well, not at such a high standard as the piano. But I do love playing Suite no 1 in G by Bach - that is so beautiful.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceFleur)
    I would love to be put in! Recently I've become obsessed with Debussy, I find that once I accomplish the piece technically only a little tweaking needs to be done before its up to my standard. Mozart just irritates me, though it is rewarding when it sounds perfect.
    I play the cello! Well, not at such a high standard as the piano. But I do love playing Suite no 1 in G by Bach - that is so beautiful.
    I play 'cello too! I love that Bach suite too, but my bowing technique is so poor I couldn't manage a very musical performance and switched to Mendelssohn!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I play 'cello too! I love that Bach suite too, but my bowing technique is so poor I couldn't manage a very musical performance and switched to Mendelssohn!
    My playing is so irregular and unstable - sometimes I play well and sometimes I play poorly. My bowing technique is good (according to my teacher) but for some reason I am always too flat when I play. So now I am learning to play sharper even if I don't think it is correct.

But I do remember once my bow nearly ran out of control! I was auditioning for a scholarship and I played so fast (my nerves!) my bow nearly flew out of my hand! But thankfully it didn't and I calmed down by the end.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceFleur)
    My playing is so irregular and unstable - sometimes I play well and sometimes I play poorly. My bowing technique is good (according to my teacher) but for some reason I am always too flat when I play. So now I am learning to play sharper even if I don't think it is correct.

But I do remember once my bow nearly ran out of control! I was auditioning for a scholarship and I played so fast (my nerves!) my bow nearly flew out of my hand! But thankfully it didn't and I calmed down by the end.
    I'm really not that good at playing. I did A Level music and got a shocking mark in my practical! I did grade 3 and then stopped grades although I play pieces around grade 7 now. I managed to mess up the bass-line of Pachelbel's canon when my string quartet was playing in a concert the other day. I lost concentration (because it's so boring!) and my bow slipped off my strings. I turned to the audience, said "sorry!" and carried on! It was sooooooo embarrassing!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is it okay If I post?

Mussorgsky's(I have no idea how to spell the guys name) Night on Bald Mountain was also the piece that they played in Fantasia with Mickey and the magical hat.

Fun piece to play, it's about darkness and evil blah blah blah and then the end with the bells chiming represents the sunrise, pushing back the evil. Very fun piece, but Beethoven's more fun to play.

I play Violin and some piano
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not that good at playing. I did A Level music and got a shocking mark in my practical! I did grade 3 and then stopped grades although I play pieces around grade 7 now. I managed to mess up the bass-line of Pachelbel's canon when my string quartet was playing in a concert the other day. I lost concentration (because it's so boring!) and my bow slipped off my strings. I turned to the audience, said "sorry!" and carried on! It was sooooooo embarrassing!
    I had an embarrassing experience at a concert at sixth form - I was playing a Bach unaccompanied piece (flute) and about a third of the way in, my music stand just started to slide down...all the way. Fortunately there was a bit of a natural break in the music (thank God it was unaccompanied), so I stopped, put the stand back up again and resumed... I probably could have done it without the music but I was so nervous by that stage I wasn't going to risk it! Not fun at all.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    I had an embarrassing experience at a concert at sixth form - I was playing a Bach unaccompanied piece (flute) and about a third of the way in, my music stand just started to slide down...all the way. Fortunately there was a bit of a natural break in the music (thank God it was unaccompanied), so I stopped, put the stand back up again and resumed... I probably could have done it without the music but I was so nervous by that stage I wasn't going to risk it! Not fun at all.

The best way to get over stage fright is play a piece as a performance in front of all your friends who play an instrument every 6-10 weeks.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 12, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered instrumental and classical

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.