Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Classical Music Society

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest)
    The best way to get over stage fright is play a piece as a performance in front of all your friends who play an instrument every 6-10 weeks.
    That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately my performing days are well and truly over...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately my performing days are well and truly over...
    it was part of my high school curriculum, every 6 weeks we had to do a solo for everyone else. Next time I had to do a performance on stage solo, I didn't even think twice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'd think I'd have gotten used to performing to an audience now I've been doing it for years and years, but (with the trumpet) I still get nervous I don't think I'm confident enough in my ability.

No problems with the bass, though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceFleur)
    I would love to be put in! Recently I've become obsessed with Debussy, I find that once I accomplish the piece technically only a little tweaking needs to be done before its up to my standard. Mozart just irritates me, though it is rewarding when it sounds perfect.
    I play the cello! Well, not at such a high standard as the piano. But I do love playing Suite no 1 in G by Bach - that is so beautiful.
    woo! somebody else who's obsessed with debussy i so want to learn the cello, the sound is wonderful where volins just give me a headache
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i forgot to mention, please count me in
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    woo! somebody else who's obsessed with debussy i so want to learn the cello, the sound is wonderful where volins just give me a headache
    true, I hate the metallic timbre of my instrument, sadly I wish they'd write complicated solos like they have for the violin, instead for the viola. I love the timbre of the viola because it has a resonance quality similar to the cello but doesn't get metallic when it starts to hit its upper register.

Debussy is a great composer, but I like Dvorak and Sibelius more.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    true, I hate the metallic timbre of my instrument, sadly I wish they'd write complicated solos like they have for the violin, instead for the viola. I love the timbre of the viola because it has a resonance quality similar to the cello but doesn't get metallic when it starts to hit its upper register.

Debussy is a great composer, but I like Dvorak and Sibelius more.
    Violas sound so nice but there is so little for them to do. I think I played a viola concerto once. I think it was by Mendelssohn but I'm not sure. I remember it was beautiful though.
    I LOVE Dvorak, his American Quartet is amazing. The second movement 'cello part makes me cry!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I missed this thread completely. Can I join?

My favourite composer is without a doubt, Chopin. His nocturnes on the piano are truly beautiful- restrained and simple, but still effective

I am also a big fan of Rachmaninov and Prokofiev. They have so many powerful and moving pieces, and yet they can produce things like "Peter and the Wolf" :p:. What a crazy world!

Michael
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I be in?!

I like Mozart, Beethoven, Rachmaniov, Haydn just to name a few
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this strictly classical or from the wide range of periods

i'll listen to anything really, preferably stuff that uses a whole orchestra such as berlioz, schubert (unfinished symphony, what a great piece of mysic that was) and other stuff like that
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scubar)
    Is this strictly classical or from the wide range of periods

i'll listen to anything really, preferably stuff that uses a whole orchestra such as berlioz, schubert (unfinished symphony, what a great piece of mysic that was) and other stuff like that
    No no, it's very much in the wide sense From early Roman fanfares to modern film music
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    mmmm, Elgar's Cello concertos...

Not that into opera at all, but Bizet's Pearl Fisher's duet is FANTASTIC.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    He only wrote one Catty :P

Favourite composers: Sibelius, Brahms, Bach, Tchaikovsky (symphonies not his ballet music)

Least favourite composers: Mozart, Berlioz

The opening to Sibelius 1 almost makes me cry! A pure clarinet solo over a soft timpani roll... how can it be so powerful and gorgeous when there's so little to it?

Count me in!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha, i couldn't quite remember what number it was (or if it had a number at all) so i put an 's' on the end just for good measure :P thanks

mmmm, sibelius...i do like tchaikovsky's ballet music though....and ballet music in general. big dance fan here.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    By the way, sorry to butt in but if anybody has written any classical music they'd like to share please feel free to share it with us here!!

Also if you like, I can add a few links to some of everyone's favourite pieces next to their names on the list. I'll update the list tomorrow for those who aren't on it yet
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
    Violas sound so nice but there is so little for them to do. I think I played a viola concerto once. I think it was by Mendelssohn but I'm not sure. I remember it was beautiful though.
    I LOVE Dvorak, his American Quartet is amazing. The second movement 'cello part makes me cry!
    Yeah not much for violas which pisses me off, the sound quality is amazing, which is why I'm more interested in the Chinese Violin now a days, because the timbre is different, it's so live, like there's 3 types one has the timbre of bird song, the other of the human voice and the third one is an in between.

I love Dvorak's cello concerto, and let's see, his 9th Symphony, and a number of other things. Mendelssohn's violin concerto is another favorite of mine. Let's see what else, for Solo pieces besides Mendelssohn's I had lots of fun playing Mozart's 5th, hmm can't think of others right now, oh well.

Although I must say Mahler's pieces are crazy, you guys should analyze them, very interesting stuff.

OneArmed, I am not putting up stuff that I have written, esp. not all the goddamn chorals I had to write for theory class.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    May I join?

I adore classical music esspecialy Debussy, Mussorsgky, Chopin, Elgar, Wagner.....alot of romantic composers!

My two favourite pieces of all time have to be prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune by debussy, and the music to swan lake final scene by tchaikovsky (it has to be the final scene...the bit where it goes into a major key....it makes me shudder!)
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah not much for violas which pisses me off, the sound quality is amazing, which is why I'm more interested in the Chinese Violin now a days, because the timbre is different, it's so live, like there's 3 types one has the timbre of bird song, the other of the human voice and the third one is an in between.

I love Dvorak's cello concerto, and let's see, his 9th Symphony, and a number of other things. Mendelssohn's violin concerto is another favorite of mine. Let's see what else, for Solo pieces besides Mendelssohn's I had lots of fun playing Mozart's 5th, hmm can't think of others right now, oh well.

Although I must say Mahler's pieces are crazy, you guys should analyze them, very interesting stuff.

OneArmed, I am not putting up stuff that I have written, esp. not all the goddamn chorals I had to write for theory class.
    That's one reason I love Dvorak, he uses all the instruments really well and gives them a lot to do. He was a viola player, hence why the viola gets to pay the first bit of the main theme in the first movement of the American Quartet!
    I also love Wagner. Yeah so he was a big Nazi (it's true....) but his music is so moving. Orff's Carmina Burana is amazing, went to see it live at the Royal Albert Hall - fantastic, especially the famous 'O Fortuna'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catty)
    i do like tchaikovsky's ballet music though....and ballet music in general. big dance fan here.
    Talking of ballet, I went to see a triple bill at Covent Garden on Saturday - one of the pieces was "A Month on the Country" with music by Chopin (Variations on "La ci darem la mano", Fantasy on Polish Airs, Andante spianato and Grande Polonaise brillante). It was absolutely brilliant, and the combination of Chopin's wonderful music and Sylvie Guillem/Jonathan Cope was a real treat ...
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    Talking of ballet, I went to see a triple bill at Covent Garden on Saturday - one of the pieces was "A Month on the Country" with music by Chopin (Variations on "La ci darem la mano", Fantasy on Polish Airs, Andante spianato and Grande Polonaise brillante). It was absolutely brilliant, and the combination of Chopin's wonderful music and Sylvie Guillem/Jonathan Cope was a real treat ...
    I can imagine Chopin is excellent for ballet music.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2014
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered instrumental and classical

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.