Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Classical Music Society

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spheniscidae)
    I meant that between my Grade 6 and Grade 7 exams was just under one year, not that I only learned piano for one year before I took my Grade 7! That would have to be some insane talent! xD

I've played piano since the age of five... I think I had been playing for around 7 years when I took my Grade 7 exam.

Wow, you've only been playing since September and you're already doing the Fantasie Impromptu and Pathetique Sonata?! I only played those after I had completed Grade 8 - at this rate, you'll be the one ready to take Grade 7 after one year! (Though admittedly, the second movement of the Beethoven and the Largo section of the Impromptu are the easiest parts of the pieces xD).

2-3 hours is a lot! I have to manage to squish my practise times in between my school lessons, so I usually only practise for 1-2 hours a day, and on some days when my lessons run from 9AM to 6PM non-stop I don't practise at all... it's really bad, 'cause if I'm working on an especially difficult part of a piece, and I only just manage to get it under my fingers, after a day of no practise, I always forget how to play it again.

Today, I found a problem with the Sonnetto del Petrarca that I really wanted to play... my hands are too small to reach any of the left hand chords in the first four-and-a-half bars! Being short is such a pain sometimes.
    Ah I see! Well still good going.

Yes the whole of the Pathetique and Fantaisie-Impromptu would be far far far out of my reach at the moment- maybe in a few years . The Chopin Nocturne is probably the hardest thing I can play. I have always been very musical and do have grade 8 in the guitar so I am not coming from a total beginner.

I manage to fit in a lot of practice time, probably even more than that, just because I don't really have much else to do at home in the evenings unless I'm going out, so I tend to just sit at the piano..
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtking3000)
    I do love that quartet.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If we're doing quartets...

• 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a second there I thought I hadn't listened to Ligeti's 2nd quartet before.
    For that second I knew what it felt to be a plebeian.
    Never again I hope to feel that way.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! How's everything going?

I absolutely adore classical music and musical soundtracks. I find every musical era to be beautiful and interesting in its own unique way, because they are different and wonderful. Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Debussey, Gershwin, Bernstein, Sondheim... the composers of music I enjoy listening to are ENDLESS. Not to mention how John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Andrew Lloyd Webber... and other composers of musicals or movie soundtracks are simply ingenious in what they do. In short, classical music, I believe, is the heart of music in general; I couldn't imagine the world without it.

I play piano and I sing. I've been playing piano since I was eight, though I stopped taking piano lessons when I was about to take my grade 7 exam. I didn't have enough time to dedicate to practicing piano anymore due to a hectic schedule over the last two or three recent years. But I still continue voice lessons, and I still play piano when I have free time and I slowly progress to learning my own choice of pieces - like Yiruma's work, or Beethoven's first movement of Moonlight Sonata (though I'd love to learn his third movement as well), Mozarts twelve variations of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Schubert's Musical Moments... the list goes on. I am currently taking my Grade 8 singing exam from ABRSM and my Advanced Diploma (for performance, I think it's called) from the board of Trinity Guildhall. I have a lot of songs to learn; a lot of work to do, WHILE doing my four A-Levels this year.

I also love opera. Of course. Anyone have any particular favorite operas or musicals to mention or to recommend?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ You'd probably like Porgy and Bess if you're into Gershwin and musicals.

Anyone heard this?

Me rikey! :sexface:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

My leaver's piece. Hope you enjoy it xx
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In a Wind Dectet I play in we are doing a transcription of the Medelssohn string Octet and it is simply wonderful, has opened my eyes to Mendelssohn in a whole new way. Here is an excellent recording, the Scherzo is simply frightening!

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a mind in tune)
    Hey everyone! How's everything going?

I absolutely adore classical music and musical soundtracks. I find every musical era to be beautiful and interesting in its own unique way, because they are different and wonderful. Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Debussey, Gershwin, Bernstein, Sondheim... the composers of music I enjoy listening to are ENDLESS. Not to mention how John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Andrew Lloyd Webber... and other composers of musicals or movie soundtracks are simply ingenious in what they do. In short, classical music, I believe, is the heart of music in general; I couldn't imagine the world without it.

I play piano and I sing. I've been playing piano since I was eight, though I stopped taking piano lessons when I was about to take my grade 7 exam. I didn't have enough time to dedicate to practicing piano anymore due to a hectic schedule over the last two or three recent years. But I still continue voice lessons, and I still play piano when I have free time and I slowly progress to learning my own choice of pieces - like Yiruma's work, or Beethoven's first movement of Moonlight Sonata (though I'd love to learn his third movement as well), Mozarts twelve variations of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Schubert's Musical Moments... the list goes on. I am currently taking my Grade 8 singing exam from ABRSM and my Advanced Diploma (for performance, I think it's called) from the board of Trinity Guildhall. I have a lot of songs to learn; a lot of work to do, WHILE doing my four A-Levels this year.

I also love opera. Of course. Anyone have any particular favorite operas or musicals to mention or to recommend?
    I'm a big opera fan, so I'll name a few that cover most bases

Montiverdi - l'Orfeo (how could you not!?)
    Mozart - Don Giovanni
    Wagner - The Ring Cycle in full, but my favourite is Gotterdammerung
    Strauss - Elektra
    Berg - Wozzeck
    Adams - Nixon in China

I've only recently 'got into' opera, and these are just some of my favourites I've encountered from different time periods. Anyone got other suggestions?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bartok's "Duke Bluebeard's Castle's" short and interesting enough for a newbie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My favourite pieces are:

Chopin Ballade No.1 (anything from Chopin really! ), Beethoven Piano Concerto No.1, Tchaikovsky June, Danzas Argentinas by Ginastera (learning them right now! ) and Liszt Concert Etudes!

And this rare yet beautiful Tchaikovsky October:

More of my favourite pieces are at: http://www.youtube.com/elainemusic369

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered instrumental and classical

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.