The Student Room Group

Meany Boss

Hiya i'm currently working at peacocks and i have been working here for about 4 months. my boss has recently been pressuring us saturday girls to work overtime. i don't mind a bit but she keeps asking me when my a-levels are over so i can start working. i only wanna work maybe 1 or 2 days a week but she wants the saturday girls to work more like 4 after our exams. i really don't want to but she keeps pressuring me. what should i do? ive said no to her before but she keeps bringin up that my contract says i will work flexible hours :frown:
You only HAVE to work your contracted hours.They can't force you to work more.Just say you have commitments over the summer but you can work 1-2 days extra.
Reply 2
Say you have lots of things planned, make it up, say you can only work 2 days a week (pick 2) and then say I have commitments, if she asks what then make something up, like umm gotta look after my cousin over the holidays.

Alternatively just tell them the truth that you need a break and have been looking forward to some time to yourself, with friends/ family etc. and yes you know your contract says 'flexible' but you have plans and are still very willing to work 2 extra days.

Good Luck :smile:
However the employer would be fully within their rights to sack you and get someone else.
Reply 4
ChemistBoy
However the employer would be fully within their rights to sack you and get someone else.

Lol I suppose, oh well thats life I guess, just think of all the £, it'd be enough for me to say I'll work it lol :p:
ChemistBoy

They can't just sack you for no reason if you're not in breach of your employment contract though?

It might say on your contract that the company reserves the right to change your working hours to meet business requirements, etc. - so basically they can change the days you work on, etc. but you aren't obliged to work any more than your contracted hours.
Reply 6
You say you have a contract with flexible hours, but are you contracted to Saturday? If not she/he is well within their rights to ask you to work other days.
things have got worse now! my boss has said from when my exams finish she wants me to work same hours as another sat girl working the week, means she wants me to work every sat plus every other sunday plus 3 weekdays 11-5.30 :frown: i said i wanted to work a couple of afternoons a couple of weeks ago for summer and she was ok but nows shes really pushing me to give in. tempted to stick to my guns and say 2 afternoons maximum. contract says flexible hoyrs so woudn't mind working 8 hours during week (contract sat hours) but not 18 like she said.
Fair enough, if you're not contractually obliged then, politely, tell them how it is.

Latest