The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It is changing slowly but surely to a more clinical role. You should be able to find out more information on the following websites (use google to find them)

- Pharmaceutical Journal
- Chemist and Druggist Magazine
- Pharmacy PLB
- United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association
- Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists
- National Pharmacy Association
Reply 2
TigerSwift
It is changing slowly but surely to a more clinical role. You should be able to find out more information on the following websites (use google to find them)

- Pharmaceutical Journal
- Chemist and Druggist Magazine
- Pharmacy PLB
- United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association
- Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists
- National Pharmacy Association

u couldnt possibly give me a brief summary of how it is please :smile:
Reply 3
Less dispensing, more contact with patients to diagnose minor ailments, undertake pharmaceutical care and medicines managements, and also patient education. We also make more decisions with regards to prescribing and pharmacists can now become prescribers themselves.

This is as brief as I can put it. I still think you should have a look on some of those websites as reading it yourself will make you understand it better so if you need to talk about it with someone professional you'll be more confident, and they will be able to see you know what you talk about.
Reply 4
TigerSwift
Less dispensing, more contact with patients to diagnose minor ailments, undertake pharmaceutical care and medicines managements, and also patient education. We also make more decisions with regards to prescribing and pharmacists can now become prescribers themselves.

This is as brief as I can put it. I still think you should have a look on some of those websites as reading it yourself will make you understand it better so if you need to talk about it with someone professional you'll be more confident, and they will be able to see you know what you talk about.

thanks that was so hepful.
quick question; are all pharmacists atm independant prescribers, or are they just supplemetary precribers and in future, everyone will be independant prescribers??
Reply 5
u will need additional training to become a prescriber.
Reply 6
No, not all pharmacists are prescribers. All pharmacists are able to suggest certain P medicines and some people call this counter prescribing - but it doesn't involve a paper prescription.

You have to do additional training as Gio said. Most pharmacists are likely to become independent prescribers, though this does not allow them to prescribe CDs. Supplementary prescribers may prescribe CDs but only if they are on the list of allowed drugs.
Reply 7
TigerSwift
No, not all pharmacists are prescribers. All pharmacists are able to suggest certain P medicines and some people call this counter prescribing - but it doesn't involve a paper prescription.

You have to do additional training as Gio said. Most pharmacists are likely to become independent prescribers, though this does not allow them to prescribe CDs. Supplementary prescribers may prescribe CDs but only if they are on the list of allowed drugs.

thanks, so like in 5 years time, will all phamracists be independant prescribers? as my uni said that my year will be the first generation of independant prescriber? :s-smilie:

also,i noticed that you are in 4th year, I am currently in 2ndyear, and am really struggling with the workload as it has increased a lot from 1st year and also i do not remember a lot from last year
do you have any tips to pass 2nd year??
Reply 8
not sure about that all pharmacists will be independant prescribers thing as pharmacists will need to get a GP to train them which is the hardest part

in order to pass - just work harder, maybe try to be exam-smart - well, thats how i did it anyway lol

Latest

Trending

Trending