The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Practice by taking the exam each year. I took it every year from year 7-13. Once you know the system you use it to your benefit.

Exam technique - don't answer all the questions unless you know the answer or can take an educated guess.

I wouldn't spend too long preparing for it - it isn't really important unless you applying to a university course where there is Maths involved, where it can take 2 lines of your PS. Even then the effect is negligible. Although if you qualify for BMO 1 in Year 12, you are guaranteed an offer from UCL Maths.
Reply 2
I got silver :frown:
People take these seriously?
I have a far more important exam on the 4th of November. :sigh:
Reply 4
TheTallOne
Practice by taking the exam each year. I took it every year from year 7-13. Once you know the system you use it to your benefit.

Exam technique - don't answer all the questions unless you know the answer or can take an educated guess.

I wouldn't spend too long preparing for it - it isn't really important unless you applying to a university course where there is Maths involved, where it can take 2 lines of your PS. Even then the effect is negligible. Although if you qualify for BMO 1 in Year 12, you are guaranteed an offer from UCL Maths.

Yeah, but who wants to go there?!
Mask Of Sanity

You better buy 1000 lockers so that mischievous kids with nothing better to do can open and close them at their discretion.

Good luck :yy:
Reply 6
When I did it I just took the exams without revising (it is possible to get a Gold this way). I wouldn't take it too seriously, just turn up and see what you can do.

However, there are books publish by UKMT that would help. I have some now, and they would have been really useful when I was doing maths challenges. I also would recommend the Art of Problem solving wiki... focus on learning a few techniques (modular arithmetic is invaluable for almost all the number theory questions). Also it would be a good idea to do some geometry (I absolutely hate it, but geometry tends to be ignored after primary school).
Reply 7
Princestia
UKMT Maths Senior Challenge - how to prepare?

I know some people say you're not supposed to, but to those who got Gold in the UKMT maths senior challenge - how did you do it? How did you prepare/revise? Any exam techniques, etc. also?

A lot of it is logic based and requires only basic knowledge of mathematics. Knowing the properties of geometric shapes should get you a few marks. Volume/area stuff.
TheTallOne
You better buy 1000 lockers so that mischievous kids with nothing better to do can open and close them at their discretion.

Good luck :yy:

:laugh: Even if they have better things to do, something tells me they'll prefer to open and close lockers.

Danke though. I shall be needing it.
yusufu
Yeah, but who wants to go there?!

:shifty:
Well, maybe not for Maths.
Hai. Bai. I'll get back to work.
Reply 10
Mask Of Sanity

Me too :sigh:

Just doing this as a bit of fun really.
Try out past papers.
Adam92

Likewise. Good luck to you though! For both.
Adam92

Me too! But I think doing UKMT wouldnt be too bad for perhaps some of the more bizarre multiple choice questions.
Reply 14
Mask Of Sanity
:shifty:
Well, maybe not for Maths.
Hai. Bai. I'll get back to work.

:p:
Reply 15
Mask Of Sanity
Likewise. Good luck to you though! For both.

And you :yep:
I got a gold and did nothing to prepare.
TheTallOne

:O I am getting those UKMT booklets out...
What mark do you have tto get to qualify for that?
Princestia
UKMT Maths Senior Challenge - how to prepare?

I know some people say you're not supposed to, but to those who got Gold in the UKMT maths senior challenge - how did you do it? How did you prepare/revise? Any exam techniques, etc. also?

I just went over a couple of past papers for Gold. However I got pretty much nowhere in the Olymiad + Kangaroo, so I'd recommend more serious practise (past booklets, other logic problems, AEA or something?) for those unless you have THE POWER:smile:
Marsha2112
What mark do you have tto get to qualify for that?

Mid to high eighties (it varies from year to year).