The Student Room Group

Psychopath Amanda Knox and the US Media...

Dear TSR,

This tragic murder has really, truly opened my eyes to how biased the US media is. And I will never again believe anything I hear on the news without independent research.

I don't think any sane person could really way up this evidence (I have only put the main points here) and believe her innocence was even likely:

1) Her blood is found mixed with Meredith's (deceased) in 3 locations in the flat. Knox has cut on her neck next day (scratch wound perhaps?)

2) A small sample of her DNA is found on the handle of a knife which has Meredith's on the tip, which is found at her boyfriend's flat next day and has been wire brushed clean and bleached and matches the wound.

3) She has changed her story completely in terms of her location. Firstly claiming she was there and that her boss at the local bar did it all! (destroying his business and putting him through hell - he is later proven to have rock tight alabi) despite her a week later standing by this statement. She then and now claims she was at her boyfriends the whole night, but is still foggy. A story she stands by, despite CCTV evidence strongly to contrary.

4) The couple are accidentally discovered the next day outside the apartment with a mop and bleach and are said to look startled. Police/forensics state the apartment smelt of bleach and had been subject to vigorous cleaning activity, despite non of the blood being cleaned up!

5) The stagged 'brake in' where nothing was stolen, designed to make it look like a robbery/rape, linking Knox's blood to other room.

6) The stab wounds with two knives and 40 bruises found on her body + numerous other pointers which can only be explained with multiple attackers.

7) Knox knowing the state of crime scene before door is knocked down!

The list goes on and on...

Yet I watched this and was dismayed! barely any of the evidence was explored.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OmjhYksebQ

Hundreds of articles all downplay the evidence against her in order to align with some sort of nationalism, Time magazine among them.

Never believe.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
niceguy21
Yet I watched this and was dismayed! barely any of the evidence was explored.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OmjhYksebQ

I take it you mean the whole programme, not that 73 second clip?
Reply 2
one guy told me us news is classed as entertainment so theres no need to be factual
Reply 3
Its disgusting. A real girl was killed and her parents have to watch while a suspect (whose constantly changing stories look damning to say the least) irrespective of their guilt are lauded like some femme fatale like its a movie.. Just shows truth and decency trump an average at best white american female turning a murder into some kind of soap opera. Shame in most part goes to the Italian media for their handling of it, if Meredith had been Italian it wouldn't have been treated in such a way. Makes me thankful that our media wouldn't treat something so serious this way.
"Amanda Knox"........wait WHO?
Reply 5
Americans have a severe nationalism problem. After the photo came out of the men, women, children and BABIES murdered by American troops during the Vietnam War (google Mai Lai massacre) people were protesting with banners saying 'My Country: Right or Wrong' and calling anyone who criticised the murders 'anti-American'.

Imagine how different the reporting of case would be if Meredith was the American and Amanda was the Brit.
Reply 6
There is so going to be a movie made about her/her boyfriend.

http://www.amandadefensefund.org/

:rofl:
She's only innocent because she's American. :rolleyes:

See, it makes me glad that we have the comparatively impartial BBC rather than just the ****** commercial stations, and even they [ITV, C4 [for all intents and purposes anyway] and Sky] pale in comparison to Fox, CNN and MSNBC.

Charlie Brooker owned US news a while ago. Funny stuff.
Reply 8
O-Ren
Americans have a severe nationalism problem. After the photo came out of the men, women, children and BABIES murdered by American troops during the Vietnam War (google Mai Lai massacre) people were protesting with banners saying 'My Country: Right or Wrong' and calling anyone who criticised the murders 'anti-American'.

Imagine how different the reporting of case would be if Meredith was the American and Amanda was the Brit.

Yet, you don't think Brits rally around Meredith and mock/dislike Amanda?
Aeterna

Meredith isn't the one with a stack of evidence against her, and also happens to be a murder victim.

Knox is clearly neurotic, bang her up.
I was not aware that Knox had been found guilty in a court of law as yet.
Reply 11
Aphotic Cosmos
Meredith isn't the one with a stack of evidence against her, and also happens to be a murder victim.

Knox is clearly neurotic, bang her up.

Regardless, I think your average Brit would rally around Meredith, even if they didn't know all the evidence against Amanda. That mentality is rather natural, in my opinion.
Aeterna

ridiculous. Meredith has been murdered and this girl has a stack of evidence against her and thinks wearing beatles slogan t shirts will help her get off.
Reply 13
Aeterna

WTF of course people rally around Meredith she was the MURDER VICTIM.

And no I don't think anyone seems biased against Amanda, more interested in seeing where the trial is going. In fact the last time I read about Amanda was in the Times and they were reporting Amanda's testament and why she might actually be innocent.

You're talking rubbish mate.
Reply 14
I love the British nationalists here: if the suspect's parents are interviewed on American TV and claim their daughter is innocent, that clearly means that the US media is pushing the view that the suspect is innocent. :rolleyes:
Reply 15
O-Ren
WTF of course people rally around Meredith she was the MURDER VICTIM.

If you're peddling this logic, why aren't Americans (as is claimed in this thread) rallying around Meredith because she was a 'murder victim'? Why are they rallying around her potential murderer, if this is a case of humanity?

You're talking rubbish mate.

Speak for yourself.
niceguy21
Dear TSR,

This tragic murder has really, truly opened my eyes to how biased the US media is. And I will never again believe anything I hear on the news without independent research.

I don't think any sane person could really way up this evidence (I have only put the main points here) and believe her innocence was even likely:

1) Her blood is found mixed with Meredith's (deceased) in 3 locations in the flat. Knox has cut on her neck next day (scratch wound perhaps?)

2) A small sample of her DNA is found on the handle of a knife which has Meredith's on the tip, which is found at her boyfriend's flat next day and has been wire brushed clean and bleached and matches the wound.

3) She has changed her story completely in terms of her location. Firstly claiming she was there and that her boss at the local bar did it all! (destroying his business and putting him through hell - he is later proven to have rock tight alabi) despite her a week later standing by this statement. She then and now claims she was at her boyfriends the whole night, but is still foggy. A story she stands by, despite CCTV evidence strongly to contrary.

4) The couple are accidentally discovered the next day outside the apartment with a mop and bleach and are said to look startled. Police/forensics state the apartment smelt of bleach and had been subject to vigorous cleaning activity, despite non of the blood being cleaned up!

5) The stagged 'brake in' where nothing was stolen, designed to make it look like a robbery/rape, linking Knox's blood to other room.

6) The stab wounds with two knives and 40 bruises found on her body + numerous other pointers which can only be explained with multiple attackers.

7) Knox knowing the state of crime scene before door is knocked down!

The list goes on and on...

Hundreds of articles all downplay the evidence against her in order to align with some sort of nationalism, Time magazine among them.

Never believe.

All I see in that clip are two parents in denial defending their daughter. No intelligent person familiar with this case, American or otherwise, would believe Amanda not to be guilty. It's true that American televised media is not very impartial, and most Americans actually interested in the unbiased facts know to go to the respectable newspapers (The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, etc.) to get it.

It would be a serious mistake to judge our telemedia based on this, though. The show that clip is from is "Larry King Live," a show none but the most idiotic of Americans would describe as unbiased reporting of the news. Larry King is a television personality and is by no means a journalist or anything of that nature, and his show has a history of being a platform for all sorts of voices, including disreputable voices (like acquitted murderer OJ Simpson or Vladimir Putin or, in this case, delusional parents).
Reply 17
Aeterna
If you're peddling this logic, why aren't Americans (as is claimed in this thread) rallying around Meredith because she was a 'murder victim'? Why are they rallying around her potential murderer, if this is a case of humanity?

Because as I've already pointed out there seem to be a large number of Americans who lack humanity when it comes to non-American people.

Are you trying to make this easy for me? You've just supported my original point there.

Oh and saying 'speak for yourself' and then not being able to give me a coherent reason why I'm talking rubbish makes you look like a fool. Comebacks do not equal winning an argument.
Reply 18
O-Ren
Because as I've already pointed out there seem to be a large number of Americans who lack humanity when it comes to non-American people.

Are you trying to make this easy for me? You've just supported my original point there.

Oh and saying 'speak for yourself' and then not being able to give me a coherent reason why I'm talking rubbish makes you look like a fool. Comebacks do not equal winning an argument.

I love how you simultaneously attack American "nationalism", while clearly being a rabid British nationalist yourself. Virtually everything you said cannot be supported by any reasonable evidence, and your views seem to be supported entirely by your hatred of America.
Reply 19
O-Ren

Simply a baseless generalisation, which does little to reinforce your flawed argument. So, Brits (as perfect as you believe us to be) support Meredith in this context because she is a human being who has died (and not because she is British); whereas, Americans do not support the death of a human being, because the potential murderer happens to be American? Do you honestly believe the British or American media would even care if this happened to be a case of a Kenyan accused of murdering a Brazilian, in Italy?

Ah, more playground insults ('fool', 'talking rubbish mate'), which reveal your juvenile debating caliber. I also find it highly laughable how you believe I am required to reinforce my 'comeback', when you have yet substantiate your childish drivel.

Latest

Trending

Trending