The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thegoonman
Firstly, you are very sad to have a blog.
Secondly, the stuff you talk about in your blog is cringe worthy.
Please die.

AHAHAHAHAHA

funny

but true
Do you create posts like this because you like being devil's advocate, or are you just a bit of an **** hole?
We might all have thoughts which make us seem superior to other people, as long as we don't go hurling abuse at people or be snappy at those we don't like it's ok.

I would say that we shouldn't base our feelings 100% on first impressions, if we talk to someone who may seem a bit weird or ugly or lower class, the way they come across as an individual is surely what should matter... they might not live up to your shallow stereotypical judgements.
Reply 23
rajandkwameali
And also, on what basis do we owe others civility? And especially to groups of persons who we dislike?

In society, the following groups of people are disliked:

- uglies
- nerds/geeks
- low social-class people/chavs
- people with odd interests

your life must be a mess then, being a part of all four of those categories and all :beard:
I don't really agree with the groups you listed, but yeah I think toleration is pretty important. Overt rudeness to others for personal reasons of dislike just makes me cringe :pinch: I think it's a pretty ugly personality trait in itself to tell someone to **** off because you don't like them or what they stand for, and they haven't been personally rude to you. If they have then very well, but it still gives you the upper hand if you continue to be civil while they talk **** at you :yes:

And as someone else said you'll be pretty screwed in jobs and stuff if you go round being intolerant to what you don't like.
Thegoonman
Firstly, you are very sad to have a blog.
Secondly, the stuff you talk about in your blog is cringe worthy.
Please die.

Ok I can talk about what I want in there, you don't have to read it.

I could say you are very sad to be on here so whatever.
Reply 26
iwilson03

Well then by what you said you're double sadder than everyone else.

p.s who actually reads your blogs?
Reply 27
iwilson03
Why don't you like children? They aren't all the same so why dislike them based on age?

And in answer to your question; yes we should 'tolerate' them. Whats the alternative? :P
You should be polite at any rate, and people aren't only civil in public because they don't like the consequences of not being civil - they are civil because most people aren't arrogant and pompous and feel good will to others.

Btw you seem to have a bit of an obsession with image, far beyond what is normal. Referring to people as 'uglies' as if you are superior to them.

This
Thegoonman

Goonman you don't have any high ground to stand on when calling others sad cos all you do on here is troll.
Thegoonman

Yeah but the point is I don't actually care - I really am not going to talk to you about who is 'sadder'.

And a few mates from school read it. I don't spend much time on it, maybe an hour a week, so again it doesn't massively bother me.

Maybe you should spend less time anonymously criticising people about what they do with their life and just get on with yours?
Reply 30
Live and let live - I won't interact with people I don't like, won't learn to like, or who are horrible to me. However, I don't grudge them their existence, they can live their own lives however they want as far as I'm concerned (and I'd expect anyone to believe the same). I'm friends with a wide range of people, some sane, normal people, some who are absolutely crazy - I don't believe in targeting one group as bad, because there's so much variety in them; it's like someone hating whales so believing all cetaceans should be killed. Live and let live :wink:
Reply 31
iwilson03

Don't mind what they say, I found your blog interesting and entertaining. :wink:
HadrianH
Don't mind what they say, I found your blog interesting and entertaining. :wink:

Haha well thank you.

This is what the thread is about anyway, toleration which comes in all forms.
Reply 33
Just be polite to them, surely that rule goes for anyone, even if you dislike them, whether it is for a good reason or not. Politeness costs nothing.
You seem to be setting incerdibly high standards on everyone,I think we should tolerate and respect everyone unless that specific individual does something awful to lose it. Even then you need to tolerate because what is the alternative?

When it comes to weird hobbies and interests, some think hanging round internet forums starting off a dodgy debate weird.
rajandkwameali
why was it arrogant? It's just how human beings are.

which doesn't look on chavs as low class n-word people? or uglies as inferior?:s-smilie:

Just gtfo now.
LOL on the blog the guy in the picture looks like he has those special kinds of needs.
rajandkwameali
And also, on what basis do we owe others civility? And especially to groups of persons who we dislike?

In society, the following groups of people are disliked:

- uglies
- nerds/geeks
- low social-class people/chavs
- people with odd interests

and a lot of other groups could fall under the preceding list. but when we encounter somebody we don't like, how should we respond to them?

for example, i don't like children much. i was in brum the other day, and outside HMV in the Bullring, some 13 year olds asked me for 50p. i walked past, trying my utmost not to tell them to **** off and leave me alone. they swore at me for ignore them, but i don't care, i have no loyalty to them, eh? but is it standard to just ignore people from groups you hold an aversion to? :confused:

as an example, take uglies or chavs. Human beings value looks, and in younger people, it's seen as sad not to date. so should we hold more sympathy for the uglies, since it's not their fault they don't date much? i don't hate anybody, but most younger people are cruel to uglies for this reason, no?

and with regard to chavs, most seem to hate/despise chavs, since they ostensibly contribute little to society and are anti-social. But say one sees a chav in the street, or in the shopping centre or something. how should one respond to them? :s-smilie: i don't hate anyone, but i only tolerate chavs, at best. should we be more accommodating in general to chavs, and accept in every society there is an anti-social element?

are people only civil in public since they don't like the consequences of not being civil?

this seems a weird post, but it's just something that popped into my mind today.

You sound like an absolute chump. Prepare for a short and hard life.
Yeah, I'm always polite. It doesn't mean I want to be but you've basically got to act out of self interest - it's only going to cause you bother if you're a **** to people.
Xenopus
Just be polite to them, surely that rule goes for anyone, even if you dislike them, whether it is for a good reason or not. Politeness costs nothing.

everything has a cost.

the cost here is accomodating lesser people. uglies, people with weird interests (like World of Warcraft) are ok, but chavs are not.

Latest

Trending

Trending