The Student Room Group

Obama says US in global race to develop clean energy

President Barack Obama championed US leadership on clean energy on Friday, as international deadlines for climate change mitigation loom and a growing number of Americans is questioning the science of global warming.

At a speech at MIT, Obama said the US faces stiff competition from other countries to develop clean technologies that will power the 21st century (see video clip). "The nation that wins this competition will be the nation that leads the global economy ... and I want America to be that nation," Obama said.

He said the $787 billion stimulus bill enacted in February "makes the largest investment in clean energy in history", spurring the development of new battery technologies for hybrid vehicles and "doubling our capacity to generate renewable electricity".

But though the stimulus sets a new US record, a report (pdf) from the bank HSBC earlier this year noted that the US's $112 billion investment in clean energy was only half China's $221 billion stimulus investment in greenhouse-gas-reducing technologies.

The US is also facing challenges at home. On Thursday, the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press reported that only 57 per cent of Americans believe there is solid scientific evidence for global warming, down from 77 per cent in 2007.

And the cap-and-trade legislation that is now making its way through the US Senate is unlikely to be voted on before the UN climate change conference in Copenhagen, Denmark, begins on 7 December.

But speculation continues that Obama may sign bilateral agreements with China, now the world's largest greenhouse gas emitter, and India on climate change mitigation before the conference begins. He will meet with Chinese president Hu Jintao on 16 and 17 November and Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh on 24 November.

What do you think? Who will win?

Energies we can use

1. Fission
2. Solar
3. Wind
4. Geothermal
5. Fusion
Reply 1
I think we'll see China and Obama's true colours in regards to energy policy and the need to tackle climate change at Copenhagen. Wouldn't it be lovely if more Yanks got out of their little bubble and faced the truth of climate change, and not glibly deny it.
Reply 2
LoveTEC

Energies we can use

1. Fission
2. Solar
3. Wind
4. Geothermal
5. Fusion

We can't use fusion! . You can't start assuming the existence of technology which don't exist
Puangiangi
I think we'll see China and Obama's true colours in regards to energy policy and the need to tackle climate change at Copenhagen. Wouldn't it be lovely if more Yanks got out of their little bubble and faced the truth of climate change, and not glibly deny it.

Temperatures have been dropping globally since 1998. Wow, 11 years of dropping temperatures, that climate change sure is scary :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Made in the USA
Temperatures have been dropping globally since 1998. Wow, 11 years of dropping temperatures, that climate change sure is scary :rolleyes:

Oh, please please! Click me!!

Sorry for being a patronising prat.
Reply 5
LoveTEC

Energies we can use

1. Fission
2. Solar
3. Wind
4. Geothermal
5. Fusion

My view is quite pessimistic I'm afraid. In matters of energy there's no free lunch.

If you're going to use a great amount of energy in a short time it's going to be messy.

If it's clean - it's not going to give a lot of energy.

We must take into account the possibility that we will never find an energy source that is both clean and sufficient for our needs.

Therefore we need to think more about how to use what we already have in a better way.

Latest

Trending

Trending