The Student Room Group

Differentiation help :)

I've been given the question:

Find the stationary points of y=1x+1x21x3y=\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{1}{x^3} and determine the nature of each.

I think I've been approaching it in the wrong way because I'm completely stuck for an answer. Would anyone be able to talk me through how to solve it? (I'm on OCR AS Level if it helps)

Thanks
xxx
Reply 1
Serendipity &#9829

Find the stationary points of y=1x+1x21x3y=\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{1}{x^3} and determine the nature of each.

I think I've been approaching it in the wrong way because I'm completely stuck for an answer. Would anyone be able to talk me through how to solve it? (I'm on OCR AS Level if it helps)

Thanks
xxx

First, differentiate. Stationary points will be at the zeroes of the derivative.

What exactly are you stuck on?
Serendipity &#9829

Thanks
xxx

Differentiating, you should get:

dydx=1x22x3+3x4\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{1}{x^2}-\frac{2}{x^3}+\frac{3}{x^4} At staionary points the value of this derivative is equal to 0, so I need to solve this equation. How can I make this easier to solve?
Reply 3
james.h

(Remember that ddx(1x)=ln(x)\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)=\mathrm{ln}(x). :smile:)

oh really..
james.h
First, differentiate. Stationary points will be at the zeroes of the derivative.

(Remember that ddx(1x)=ln(x)\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)=\mathrm{ln}(x). :smile:)

What exactly are you stuck on?

1xdx=lnx+c.\displaystyle\int\frac{1}{x} dx =ln|x| + c.:p:
Reply 5
Serendipity &#9829

Thanks
xxx

At a stationary point,the derivative of the equation i.e the gradient of the graph is zero. So differentiate it,and then equate it to zero and solve :smile:
Reply 6
rbnphlp
oh really..

Ha ha. :o: Oops. Been doing too much integration lately. Mistake fixed. :smile:
Reply 7
namedeprived
1xdx=lnx+c.\displaystyle\int\frac{1}{x} dx =ln|x| + c.:p:

Looks like I need some differentiation help. :p: All fixed. :o:
I changed the fractions to indices
x1+x2x3x^{-1}+x^{-2}-x^{-3}
(which I cant say made it much easier and differentiated it to
dydx=x22x3+3x4\frac{dy}{dx}=-x^{-2}-2x^{-3}+3x^{-4}
and set dydx \frac{dy}{dx} to 0.

Im not really sure where to go from there though. I did try factorising it so x=0 at one point but I really am completely stuck.
Serendipity &#9829
I changed the fractions to indices
x1+x2x3x^{-1}+x^{-2}-x^{-3}
(which I cant say made it much easier and differentiated it to
dydx=x22x3+3x4\frac{dy}{dx}=-x^{-2}-2x^{-3}+3x^{-4}
and set dydx \frac{dy}{dx} to 0.

Im not really sure where to go from there though. I did try factorising it so x=0 at one point but I really am completely stuck.

Try and write the derivative with positive powers. Then try and write as one single fraction, with a common denominator x4x^4

james.h
Looks like I need some differentiation help. All fixed.
Pfft, I've made mistakes that are a lot worse than that.:p:
Reply 10
Serendipity &#9829

Yup do as the above posts suggest and then to determine the nature of the stationary points.
Differentiate it again
You end up something like
d2ydx2=2x36x4+12x5\displaystyle\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{2}{x^3}-\frac{6}{x^4}+\frac{12}{x^5}

All you then do is sub the stationay points , x=3 and -1 into it and see
if f''(x)<0 maximum
f''(x)>0 ,mimimun
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted :smile:

Who needs maths teachers when TSR exists.

Latest