Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Zimbardo; conformity or obedience

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im doing an essay on conformity/obedience.

Was zimbardo's prison study a case of conformity or obedience?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thats for you to interpret. there is no right or wrong answer to that question. if you can articulate that question and answer it then you will rack up marks. i did the same essay and ****** up because i did exactly what the teacher said and nothing more. you need to be interesting and add that little bit extra to get the A/A* grade
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    Im doing an essay on conformity/obedience.

Was zimbardo's prison study a case of conformity or obedience?
    I've always thought it was obedience. But the entire study was started to investigate roles and labels, norms etc in a prison scenario. Zimbardo found that any behavioural incidences, e.g. aggressiveness etc, were down to situational factors.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, it doesn't fit either of those catagories well. It's more of an investigation into situational psychology.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ Agreed, as usual. It's more obedience than conformity, but there's probably a bit of both, i.e. they obeyed because other people did blah blah. The most interesting thing is the people being guards taking on those roles, and that's not either. It's too bizarre and specific a situation to really use as anything to do with obedience/conformity usefully but I think they shove it in there because it's interesting.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: October 28, 2009
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Psychology Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.