The Student Room Group

Choices too competitive.. Birmingham or Glasgow??

Hi.

I'm taking the European Baccalaureate.

I'm expecting to have 80%-85%.

My choices for Bsc Economics are:

LSE (85%)
Warwick (85%)
St Andrews (82%)
Edinburgh (75% - but ofc need a lot more)
x

I had UCL (85%), but they want 90% in Maths, which is outrageously high.
I wanted to put Durham, but they also ask for 85% so that's not safe.

I was thinking of Glasgow (city seems great + need only 75%) or Birmingham (sister went there, ask only 80%, seems a decent city + ranked highly for econ)

What do you think are better? I was also thinking York (80%) , but it looks so dull and boring.. Same with Bath (80%) but, although it's ranked okay, seems sooo bad.

Any safer yet good choices?
Reply 1
robbiee
Hi.

I'm taking the European Baccalaureate.

I'm expecting to have 80%-85%.

My choices for Bsc Economics are:

LSE (85%)
Warwick (85%)
St Andrews (82%)
Edinburgh (75% - but ofc need a lot more)
x

I had UCL (85%), but they want 90% in Maths, which is outrageously high.
I wanted to put Durham, but they also ask for 85% so that's not safe.

I was thinking of Glasgow (city seems great + need only 75%) or Birmingham (sister went there, ask only 80%, seems a decent city + ranked highly for econ)

What do you think are better? I was also thinking York (80%) , but it looks so dull and boring.. Same with Bath (80%) but, although it's ranked okay, seems sooo bad.

Any safer yet good choices?

Working from the history of A-level students, York, Bimringham and Southampton are all safe but good choices. Bath is not safe but is good. Finally Glasgow is safe and not good.
Reply 2
Paulwhy
Working from the history of A-level students, York, Bimringham and Southampton are all safe but good choices. Bath is not safe but is good. Finally Glasgow is safe and not good.

I'm curious- I get the whole mathematical content of the BSc vs BA/MA, but why is Glasgow 'not good' and, lets say, Edinburgh is? They both carry very similar applicant profiles (at least as far as Scots are concerned), prospects and entry standards, Glasgow's RAE and QAA were slightly better and they have a slightly larger department. Your TAELT is of course based on how tough it is for entry and that alone, but obviously like Nottingham several years ago or St Andrews for the last decade, these things are subject to change as school leavers' tastes change. If an institution is 'not good' purely because it's not got a high compulsory mathematical content (as those modules exist as options on the Scottish MA), then are you saying that any BSc is automatically top choice for undergraduates? The more complex mathematical content of Oxford's Ugrad and grad programs isn't always necessary, after all...

Latest

Trending

Trending