The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
hmm not sure man, I don't think it's that important to learn the really flashy words lol.

BTW what are the conditions necessary for 'crowding out'? Does it only happen when the economy is close to its full capacity?
Reply 61
I asked this on tutor2u but got no response, can anyone help me here..

I said that if you have an increase demand for labour by a demand side shock then this will decrease NRU as the level of unemployment will fall at the labour market clearing wage, becuase of the increase in demand.

but this will not change the NAIRU because an increase in demand for labour will lead to a fall in the number of people unemployed, meaning people in employment get less competition and gain wage making power, cause wages to rise and a return to long run aggregate supply, or NAIRU, where costs have increased (monetary validation) and as wages have risen above the equilibrium wage rate, involuntary unemployment bids down wages and causes a return to labour market clearing again, at NAIRU

and though all that NAIRU has stayed the same but NRU has increased. if this correct, and does it show that NRU is dependant on supply and demand whereas NAIRU is only dependant on supply?

help! confused
thanks for any feedback
Reply 62
mik1w
I asked this on tutor2u but got no response, can anyone help me here..

I said that if you have an increase demand for labour by a demand side shock then this will decrease NRU as the level of unemployment will fall at the labour market clearing wage, becuase of the increase in demand.

but this will not change the NAIRU because an increase in demand for labour will lead to a fall in the number of people unemployed, meaning people in employment get less competition and gain wage making power, cause wages to rise and a return to long run aggregate supply, or NAIRU, where costs have increased (monetary validation) and as wages have risen above the equilibrium wage rate, involuntary unemployment bids down wages and causes a return to labour market clearing again, at NAIRU

and though all that NAIRU has stayed the same but NRU has increased. if this correct, and does it show that NRU is dependant on supply and demand whereas NAIRU is only dependant on supply?

help! confused
thanks for any feedback

Your making a confused distinction between the NRU and NAIRU that doesn't exist. You are correct in saying that if AD increases then we can operate in the short run beyond LRAS (which is the NRU/NAIRU/Full employment) - but then we always return to it due to the wages rises, causing costs to rise for suppliers which pushes it back to LRAS (in the long run).
Reply 63
unit 6 is easy, its unit 5 thats going to be w*nk
Reply 64
Unit 5 is a nasty one i still find problems answering the 10 mark and 30 mark data response as the questions are not specifically clear and i end up gettin stunned. Does anyone have any idea what may be the main topic in unit 5 plz

Vikz
I think I am the other way round, better in ECN5 than ECN6... probalby explained by different quality of teaching for each module tho.
Reply 66
corey
Your making a confused distinction between the NRU and NAIRU that doesn't exist. You are correct in saying that if AD increases then we can operate in the short run beyond LRAS (which is the NRU/NAIRU/Full employment) - but then we always return to it due to the wages rises, causing costs to rise for suppliers which pushes it back to LRAS (in the long run).

I have been taught that the NRU is the rate of unemployment when the labour market is in equilibrium. So when demand increases, this will affect the NRU I thought.

Also, I have been taught there is a distinction between full employment. does this refer to everyone having a job (supply of labour = supply of labour force) or full employment excluding voluntarily unemployed people?

Thanks
Reply 67
Hi...i'm in need of more help! On the aqa specification it says;

Candidates should understand the concept of the minimum efficient scale of production and its implications for the structure of an industry and the ease of entry

I understand what the minimum efficient scale of production is but I dont really get how it relates to the structure and ease of entry to an industry. Can anybody help??
Reply 68
Can anyone explain optimal tariffs pls? ta
Reply 69
I don't knwow hat they are.. are you sure you need to know about it?
Reply 70
mik1w
I have been taught that the NRU is the rate of unemployment when the labour market is in equilibrium. So when demand increases, this will affect the NRU I thought.

Also, I have been taught there is a distinction between full employment. does this refer to everyone having a job (supply of labour = supply of labour force) or full employment excluding voluntarily unemployed people?

Thanks

I learnt that the nru is when the aggregate demand and aggregate supply of are equal, at market ruling wage rate. The difference between the labour force(those searching for employment) and labour supply(currently employed) conveys the amount of voluntary unemployment (those searching for a higher wage rate who do not accept the going wage rate) and more involuntary employement meaning those who have not got the skills to be accpeted in types of employment. To reduce the nru the goverement need to intervene by means of supply side economics to improve incentive to work thus shifting the labour supply closer to the labour force.

I hope this helps u.
Reply 71
I thought structural unemployment was calssified as voluntary unemployment, because it's not the wage rate but their immobility that makes them unemployed.
i know the jan 05 papers have already been asked about....can nobody even give a brief summary what was on them? surely one of you has a copy?!
Reply 73
mik1w
I thought structural unemployment was calssified as voluntary unemployment, because it's not the wage rate but their immobility that makes them unemployed.

If they don't have the skills to be in the work place...then how does that make them voluntarily unemployed?
Reply 74
because they COULD take another job, by moving to a region where their skills are required, or by taking a job which does not require their skills (eg. unskilled labour), but they chose not to because they would prefer to wait until they get the job they want.

Same for frictional unemployment, it is voluntary because the person COULD take a job faster but he risks not finding the best job for him if he takes the first one he sees.
Reply 75
ChrisH2107
i know the jan 05 papers have already been asked about....can nobody even give a brief summary what was on them? surely one of you has a copy?!

yeah bump to this.. could someone at least type up the essay questions for unit 5? I typed up all the essay questions on the past ones from the website (on the attachment on the first page).. I havent been given these. reps as an incentive!!
Reply 76
ECN5 JAN05 Q

(a) Explain how, by adversely affecting the environment, economic activity can lead to market failure

(b) Evaluate the view that government intervention can correct all themarket failures caused by the effects of economic activity on the environment

(a) Explain how the law of diminishing returns and returns to scale affect a firm's cost of production

(b) Evaluate the view that the separation of ownership from control in large firms inevitably causes diseconomies of scale

(a) Explain why contestable markets generally function more efficiently than non-contestable markets

(b) Do you agree that there is no need for competition policy? Justify your answer
Reply 77
definition of utility industry and market contestability? :smile:
Reply 78
mik1w
because they COULD take another job, by moving to a region where their skills are required, or by taking a job which does not require their skills (eg. unskilled labour), but they chose not to because they would prefer to wait until they get the job they want.

Same for frictional unemployment, it is voluntary because the person COULD take a job faster but he risks not finding the best job for him if he takes the first one he sees.

No. The point is they are structually unemployment as they don't have occupational or geographical moblity to get a job - they are involuntarily unemployed
Reply 79
Whats the difference between contestability and competitveness?

Is it just to do with sunk costs and ease of entry/exit?

Latest

Trending

Trending