The Student Room Group

Which country or empire has or had the most influence in the world?

Poll

Which country or empire has or had the most influence in the world?

By popular demand, I'd like to know which country or empire you think has had or currently has the most influence in the world.

The following criteria should determine your vote:

-Politcal influence
-Economic influence
-Military influence
-Cultural influence

Also please tell us why you've chosen Britain(because let's face it TSR is full of patriots).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I approve this version :yep:
Reply 2
I have to say that I would be thoroughly shocked by anyone picking the USA.
Reply 3
Sadly, it's probably the Sith Empire having the biggest influence with all the computer nerds out there..
each empire has contributed huge amounts

French gave us modern law
British gave us a hell of a lot lol
Nazi Germany made significant contribution to science (especially medicine)
The Roman Empire is obvious.
Don't know much about Ancient Greece though.

Considering verything its hard to choose the best one lol
Dream Weaver
each empire has contributed huge amounts

French gave us modern law
British gave us a hell of a lot lol
Nazi Germany made significant contribution to science (especially medicine)
The Roman Empire is obvious.
Don't know much about Ancient Greece though.

Considering verything its hard to choose the best one lol

D-E-M-O-C-R-A-C-Y :smile:
ScotlandStandUp

If that is the best argument for Ancient Greece then there were way more deserving Empires.
The USA have never had an empire, nor have the egyptians.

this thread should have been named 'what culture has had the biggest influence'
Dream Weaver
If that is the best argument for Ancient Greece then there were way more deserving Empires.

They created democracy. Which is undoubtably the greatest thing they've contributed, there's obviously more, I just haven't studied them in enough detail.
indigenousscot
The USA have never had an empire, nor have the egyptians.

this thread should have been named 'what culture has had the biggest influence'

The American Empire is a cliché.

I didn't say the Egyptians had an empire, look at the title, country or empire.
Reply 10
The British Empire was the largest in history.

I suspect it's influence was similar?
Reply 11
I voted British, but thinking about it, probably the Roman Empire
Reply 12
I think the sheer spread of the British Empire warrants something. We owned america and lots of asia, africa, carribean for vasts amount of time

We, Britannia Ruled The Sea

But i also think the others do have a claim, like the Romans and the Greeks... but patriotism :biggrin:
MaceyThe
The British Empire was the largest in history.

I suspect it's influence was similar?

This was the Roman Empire at it's best, moreover the land you see which was covered in red and the land that wasn't, was the only known land on that era.

So in effect they practically conquered all of the (known) world, but more importantly, left behind them an entire legacy.

They revolutionised entertainment, architecture(a lot of which came from the Greeks), baths, gymnasiums, education(such as law), military warfare and a lot more things we think came from 'nothing'.
ScotlandStandUp

Greek version of democracy was VERY different to ours and was limited to Athens - for a start, there were no elections, as the Athenians viewed elections as undemocratic as the rich and powerful would be able to demand more votes than a poorer person (Can see where they're coming from tbh!)

I voted Roman Empire - there's a reason that the period that followed the Roman Empire's collapse was called the 'dark ages'. Roads, public health system, developments in medicine (albeit with Greek doctors), professional military (alright the Spartans had one too but on a much smaller scale), etc etc. Far, far ahead of its time in the West at least.
Just one reason why the Roman Empire wins outright - language
How many languages are rooted in Latin? English, German, French etc
Reply 16
i would say it's a mash up between, greek,roman,ottoman,british and spanish.

I mean a lot of roman things were of greek origin. and some of the later egyptian cutoms had their roots in ptylomey, greek culture.

and roman culture has had an effect on europe hugely. Especially languages.

Ottoman= muslim world(any, moorish empires etc included not just ottoman)

provided quite a lot of medicne and provided the greek philosophers work to western scholars and arabic numerals.

Then spanish empire had a lot of influence on the americas . british empire had an effect on africa,asia, and north america and to a point europe.

I would say roman empire springs to mind straightaway however greeks did a huge amount especially in mathematics and engineering etc.
Persian Empire's not up there, your poll is made of massive amounts of fail.

In no particular order, I'd say the British empire, Persian empire and Roman empire.
Democracy
Persian Empire's not up there, your poll is made of massive amounts of fail.

In no particular order, I'd say the British empire, Persian empire and Roman empire.

I was actually going to put up the Persian Empire, I put the Jews in instead. Last minute edit :smile:
Reply 19
This was the extent of the British Empire:

The LARGEST EMPIRE IN HISTORY, and for over a century, was the foremost global power.

By 1922, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458,000,000 people, one-quarter of the world's population, and covered more than 13,000,000 square miles (33,670,000 km2,) approximately a quarter of the Earth's total land area.

As a result, its political, linguistic and cultural legacy is widespread.

At the peak of its power, it was often said that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" because its span across the globe ensured that the sun was always shining on at least one of its numerous territories.

What is the foremost language in the world. Roman? No - Engrish!:biggrin:

Plus I'm a patriot!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending