The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Looks awesome and is a good idea as long as it doesn't get called boris tower or somthing **** that will remind people of boris.
Reply 161
looks like a massive satan tower..

it looks crap
Everyone is saying that the design in the picture is a monstrosity but the same thing happened with the Eiffel tower when that was first built - people called for it to be destroyed because it didn't fit in with the traditional Paris skyline and was a massive blot on the horizon and now look at what people think of it.

I say build something crazy and outlandish. It will make people hate Boris and in a few years will become a massive landmark anyway. Win win.
Reply 163
L i b
If that's the sort of Britain you really want to live in then you're a very depressing individual.

You mean a Britian where funds are spent on priorities first, such as health and education, rather than poinless ghastly sculptures, that just eat up revenue in future years with maintainance ect. Any non useful building/structure (such as this) is a waste of money.

At least the London Eye generates income ect, and therefore self maintaining. The millenium bridge, its a bridge therefore fit for purpose. A giant red pylon. ooo its solar powered, whoopy do, how about an actualy wind generator. Ho wait thats functional and fit for a purpose too but yet people will complain about that spoiling the horizon.

And im a depressed individual :eek3:
Reply 164
near_comatose
Ah, yes! Lakshmi Mittal spends £15m on the NHS - ALL PROBLEMS ARE NOW SOLVED

and him spending it on a giant pylon would solve what? except absoulty nothing.

How about BJ saying "Hey thats very nice of you to offer 15mill mate, but would it be ok to invest that in new equipment for the NHS to screen for (instert various diseases/illnesses here)?" ..."errr, what you mean no, I can have 15mill but i have to spend it on a giant sculpture!!"
Reply 165
Skyslayer
You mean a Britian where funds are spent on priorities first, such as health and education, rather than poinless ghastly sculptures, that just eat up revenue in future years with maintainance ect.

Despite the lack of a question mark, I'll answer that: yes.

And im a depressed individual :eek3:

Depressing.

Skyslayer
How about BJ saying "Hey thats very nice of you to offer 15mill mate, but would it be ok to invest that in new equipment for the NHS to screen for (instert various diseases/illnesses here)?" ..."errr, what you mean no, I can have 15mill but i have to spend it on a giant sculpture!!"

Why should he ask? The offer made is already clear: they 15 million pounds is for a sculpture, not for some bloody medical machine.
Reply 166
Skyslayer

What is the point in spending money exclusively on boring, practical things? Imagine living your life and never buying yourself a new games console or a nice car or whatever.

Arts and Culture are a very important part of our country as well, you know. I'd far rather the £15 million was spent on a sculpture than on the NHS or anything else even if it was taxpayer's money.
Reply 167
Idea = Great
Tower = Horrible
Reply 168
Viva la spending huge amount of cash during a financial crisis when it could be spent on more worthwhile cap.
Like...sterilisation operations to stop silly kids getting eggo preggo'd.
Reply 169
Well, Al Qaeda will be grateful to Boris even if no-one else is.
Skyslayer

Nobody said this was to solve anything. Shut up and let the richest guy in the UK spend money how he pleases.

Latest

Trending

Trending