The Student Room Group

St John's Ambulance volunteering

Heyy
does anyone know what you can do as a volunteer at St John's ambulance, and what it involves, would it be helpful for medicine? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

My mates do it, I know that its helpful for medicine but im not entirely sure what it involves. I suppose i could ask them for you :smile: Sorry, haven't been much help :o:
If I remember rightly, under 17s have to do cadets:
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/young-people/cadets.aspx
It's very useful for medicine. However, they're bloody disorganised; I emailed them about joining in June of last year and they didn't reply. My medical UCAS application was sent, and a few days ago they emailed me back apologising and saying my enquiry had got 'overlooked'.
I'm in St John Ambulance and have been involved from an organisational/managerial point of view - what would you like to know?
Further to the last post, I guess it might just be easier if I do the whole "Welcome to St John" spiel right away, rather answering specific questions.

I joined St John at university, but I know a number of sixth formers who have joined as a method of getting experience for medicine applications. It's a great charity, and can get you a lot of practical experience, but that being said, the organisation isn't always viewed positively by NHS trusts, and you can encounter a lot of skepticism.

Joining St John, as others have alluded to, can take a while depending on where you live. You essentially have to fill out a application form, and then undergo basic first aid training in Emergency Life Support, Family First Aid, Manual Handling Principles and a course on how to fill out our legal paperwork for each patient. I teach some of these courses to new members myself, and they essentially cover the basic situations that you might encounter in the workplace, at home, or while providing first aid cover at events.

Once you have all the essential paperwork out the way and are trained up, you are free to go out and cover events. This can range from music concerts to village fetes, sports matches to the Marathon, and rumour has it we are coving the Olympics. On a typical duty, you can encounter anything. I've treated people who have had strokes, bad cuts, people being sick, unconscious people - you name it, it can happen.

The more you train, the more qualified you can get. I am now a Patient Transport Attendant, which allows me to transfer patients to and from hospital. You can also become an Emergency Transport Attendant, and these can cover 999 calls for the NHS in some areas. You can learn to use oxygen, AEDs and a number of other skills depending on where you live.

That's the basics anyway. Let me know if you want to know anything specific :smile:
Reply 5
Explorer Dora
Further to the last post, I guess it might just be easier if I do the whole "Welcome to St John" spiel right away, rather answering specific questions.

I joined St John at university, but I know a number of sixth formers who have joined as a method of getting experience for medicine applications. It's a great charity, and can get you a lot of practical experience, but that being said, the organisation isn't always viewed positively by NHS trusts, and you can encounter a lot of skepticism.

Joining St John, as others have alluded to, can take a while depending on where you live. You essentially have to fill out a application form, and then undergo basic first aid training in Emergency Life Support, Family First Aid, Manual Handling Principles and a course on how to fill out our legal paperwork for each patient. I teach some of these courses to new members myself, and they essentially cover the basic situations that you might encounter in the workplace, at home, or while providing first aid cover at events.

Once you have all the essential paperwork out the way and are trained up, you are free to go out and cover events. This can range from music concerts to village fetes, sports matches to the Marathon, and rumour has it we are coving the Olympics. On a typical duty, you can encounter anything. I've treated people who have had strokes, bad cuts, people being sick, unconscious people - you name it, it can happen.

The more you train, the more qualified you can get. I am now a Patient Transport Attendant, which allows me to transfer patients to and from hospital. You can also become an Emergency Transport Attendant, and these can cover 999 calls for the NHS in some areas. You can learn to use oxygen, AEDs and a number of other skills depending on where you live.

That's the basics anyway. Let me know if you want to know anything specific :smile:

Thanks for the information :smile:
+rep for you
mariam-x
Heyy
does anyone know what you can do as a volunteer at St John's ambulance, and what it involves, would it be helpful for medicine? Thanks!

felt_monkey
If I remember rightly, under 17s have to do cadets:
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/young-people/cadets.aspx
It's very useful for medicine. However, they're bloody disorganised; I emailed them about joining in June of last year and they didn't reply. My medical UCAS application was sent, and a few days ago they emailed me back apologising and saying my enquiry had got 'overlooked'.

16 and 17 year olds can either be members of the Cadet or Adult division, it's up to the decision of your unit leader. You undergo various amounts of training as Explorer Dora has mentioned, and get to provide first aid cover for various events. If you're under 18, there are certain duties you can't attend/ duties you are required to leave early from.

It's a lot of fun and certainly a valuable experience, quite a few members are prospective medics/ medical students.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :yep:

p.s. It's 'St. John Ambulance' (Quite a few people within the organisation get a bit funny when people add the 's' on....)
Reply 7
Explorer Dora
the organisation isn't always viewed positively by NHS trusts, and you can encounter a lot of skepticism.

Wa??? Does that apply to Unis as well? Because I'm intending to use this in my PS as the volunteering and experience of Medicine. And also St John Ambulance is ridiculously disorganised and take years to get anything done. For example I applied a couple of months ago and only recently got my induction training booked for December. And they ask you to come to meetings which are often scheduled at incredibly awkward times and days for College students. I wouldn't be doing this at all if I didn't need volunteering so badly, all my other options weren't so depressingly rubbish and I couldn't get into random events for free. Pretty much the only thing keeping me there is the chance to do some first aid and watch some sport/live music. If only my induction came before the Arctic Monkeys gig...
Scrubby
Wa??? Does that apply to Unis as well? Because I'm intending to use this in my PS as the volunteering and experience of Medicine. And also St John Ambulance is ridiculously disorganised and take years to get anything done. For example I applied a couple of months ago and only recently got my induction training booked for December. And they ask you to come to meetings which are often scheduled at incredibly awkward times and days for College students. I wouldn't be doing this at all if I didn't need volunteering so badly, all my other options weren't so depressingly rubbish and I couldn't get into random events for free. Pretty much the only thing keeping me there is the chance to do some first aid and watch some sport/live music. If only my induction came before the Arctic Monkeys gig...

The most important thing is that you can show the universities it's made you a better person/ more suited for Medicine etc. much in the same way you tell them how your work experience/ extra currcular activities impacted you.

I just went to meetings as often as I could, not going when I had exams etc. and I managed to avoid a bit of this organisational hassel by talking to my local division in person.

Cheer up, there'll be loads of other good events :smile:
Reply 9
Witty Username
The most important thing is that you can show the universities it's made you a better person/ more suited for Medicine etc. much in the same way you tell them how your work experience/ extra currcular activities impacted you.

I just went to meetings as often as I could, not going when I had exams etc. and I managed to avoid a bit of this organisational hassel by talking to my local division in person.

Cheer up, there'll be loads of other good events :smile:

Hmmm, yeah but I can't help thinking a hospice or something might show me in a better light because they are just so depressing. But yeah St John Ambulance is good bar the inordinate amount of work I've had to do to get anything arranged with them. And that gig would have been brilliant...especially for free.
Scrubby

Well it's important to remember UCAS and the universities aren't the NHS, and therefore they will treat all St John work as relevant experience. My boyfriend has just got a job as a trainee paramedic off the back of his St John experience, so they certainly see it as a good way to get into the field.

The NHS have a varying relationship with voluntary ambulance services, and unfortunately, we as organisations have at various times deserved this. As with all voluntary organisations, not all volunteers take the correct ethos, and therefore the NHS have at various points encountered something slightly less than professionalism. Where my St John division is, we are on the border of two counties and two NHS trusts. One welcomes all support from St John, and really respects what we do; the other can't stand us because of previous bad experiences. There's also a small amount of tension because we have traditionally covered when the Ambulance Service strike, which obviously reduces the effectiness of their point.

Also, with regard to events being badly organised - don't put up with it. I used to arrange all the events for my division, and they should be organising something for everyone. If you do not get on with your division, ask around and find one that suits you. Also, if you are applying to uni, see if there is a LINKS unit around you and get a taste of that.
Scrubby
Hmmm, yeah but I can't help thinking a hospice or something might show me in a better light because they are just so depressing. But yeah St John Ambulance is good bar the inordinate amount of work I've had to do to get anything arranged with them. And that gig would have been brilliant...especially for free.

As I say, don't put up with it. You're a member, and you should be welcomed and fully inducted as soon as possible. See if you can talk to a member of Sector or County Staff, or talk to your current Divisional Officer (person in charge at meetings) and see if you can speed the process up.

And the councert thing is pretty cool :smile: I've been to quite a few with St John now. First one this year, I was in the VIP area and didn't have to do any first aid at all! On the other hand, I spent all of Oasis holding a sick bucket, so it can go anyway!
i volunteer at st johns ambulance and i am applying for medicine. i have found it really healpful and it has helpped me learn a lot of basic healthcare.
you can pretty much do what you want when volunteering there you can be a first aider or even work in admit its pretty much up to you. however you need to be trainned before they can send you out on the field.
but i would say go for, i love it.
Scrubby

I tried to get hospice experience when I was 16, and found that most places won't take you on till you're 18. St John has its depressing moments too, believe me. If you're in London (i'm sure this is true for the rest of the country too) there's always stuff going on :yes:
Explorer Dora
As I say, don't put up with it. You're a member, and you should be welcomed and fully inducted as soon as possible. See if you can talk to a member of Sector or County Staff, or talk to your current Divisional Officer (person in charge at meetings) and see if you can speed the process up.

And the councert thing is pretty cool :smile: I've been to quite a few with St John now. First one this year, I was in the VIP area and didn't have to do any first aid at all! On the other hand, I spent all of Oasis holding a sick bucket, so it can go anyway!

I can totally relate. Missed the best bits of Blur because of a vomiter this summer :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Explorer Dora
Also, with regard to events being badly organised - don't put up with it. I used to arrange all the events for my division, and they should be organising something for everyone. If you do not get on with your division, ask around and find one that suits you. Also, if you are applying to uni, see if there is a LINKS unit around you and get a taste of that.

I've looked around but it takes about a month for anybody to reply to my enquiries which makes it harder. But there are no units around my area who schedule meetings at suitable times so I guess I'll just try and deal with it.
Reply 16
Witty Username
I tried to get hospice experience when I was 16, and found that most places won't take you on till you're 18. St John has its depressing moments too, believe me. If you're in London (i'm sure this is true for the rest of the country too) there's always stuff going on :yes:

Exactly. That's when it gets fun. It's the same in hospitals. Never a dull moment. Whereas in hospices every moment is incredibly dull and depressing. I've seen an hospice that allows Over 16's to volunteer but iI was given a tour which horrified me and the Volunteering Co-ordinator just wouldn't shut up. Frankly, for no pay I shouldn't have to put up with that amount of crap. Some crap, sure. Vomit on my jeans or something. Ok. Hyperactive old woman and hospice full of dying people. No.
Scrubby
I've looked around but it takes about a month for anybody to reply to my enquiries which makes it harder. But there are no units around my area who schedule meetings at suitable times so I guess I'll just try and deal with it.

That's pretty rubbish. Which St John 'county' are you in?
Explorer Dora
That's pretty rubbish. Which St John 'county' are you in?

Judging from their profile, London. It is quite hard to get things organised around here. How is the organisation where you are?
Witty Username
Judging from their profile, London. It is quite hard to get things organised around here. How is the organisation where you are?

Well I'm in St John in two counties, so it varies. West Mids is exceptionally organised, but often thinks too highly of itself. Plus there's a hell of a lot of internal politics which can get very bitchy.

Lincolnshire are my other county, and they are lovely. Don't know about the organisational side so much as I tend to base myself in West Mids, but I love going on duty there. And the people are fantastic

How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending