The Student Room Group

GCSE english, requirement for jobs?

Hi all, I'm new to the forums.

I got a D in GCSE english language and literature. I'm in 2nd year uni. I'm going to try to get a job next year. Do I have enough?. Because my work will mostly be technical related stuff and I have the one or two certificates to show for that sort of job. I'm asking this because when I look at job requirements they usually state minimum pass for english, maths, science blah blah. But I have met people who have fewer qualifications and some with D grade English, and they end up working for big-medium companies. So whats that all about?

Cheers
Reply 1
To be honest I would play it safe and try and get your english grade up to a C or above.
Reply 2
i'm trying to find a place where I can just resit the exam. I've only checked out two places and had no luck. Does anyone know of any college in the London area that offer resit for GCSE english without having to spend 30 weeks or 1 year to get the certificate.
Reply 3
I'm sure Google will be able to assist you!

And just to echo the previous poster's comments, I would advise you do retake the subject given its importance.
Reply 4
LovinLost
Hi all, I'm new to the forums.

I got a D in GCSE english language and literature. I'm in 2nd year uni. I'm going to try to get a job next year. Do I have enough?. Because my work will mostly be technical related stuff and I have the one or two certificates to show for that sort of job. I'm asking this because when I look at job requirements they usually state minimum pass for english, maths, science blah blah. But I have met people who have fewer qualifications and some with D grade English, and they end up working for big-medium companies. So whats that all about?

Cheers

It be okay if ye wah'na be a farmuh!
Reply 5
LovinLost
i'm trying to find a place where I can just resit the exam. I've only checked out two places and had no luck. Does anyone know of any college in the London area that offer resit for GCSE english without having to spend 30 weeks or 1 year to get the certificate.

http://www.northlondoncollege.co.uk/examreg.html
does your university not offer anything like key skills?? a certificate in key skills would would prove you have the minimum standard of english,
But otherwise it would be best to retake it and try to get a C as most universities don't even let people in without a C or above in english language. (my Brother got an E in Literature and no-one cares)
I would just like to say a D is a pass.
Reply 8
The minimum requirement for most degree courses is a minimum of grade C or above in English and Maths. However, this is not always the case. You could enrol on an evening class or do a distance learning course. If you can find someone in a recognised position of authority, you can self teach, but they will need to authenticate your coursework.

There are several centres who have indicated that they may be willing to accept private candidates. This is the list from the AQA web site:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.php

There are some other qualifications you can take - such as Key Skills or Certificate in Literacy. However, this is not always recognised as being the same as GCSE English. Also note that most people use the word 'English' to refer to Language, so your results in Literature are less important. Good luck.

Latest