The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hell no.

What is the appeal of the working classes?

(aside from trying to extract the wealth tied up in them from the people...)
This thread is reminding me of the Monty Python Four yorkshiremen sketch.
Reply 42
Umm, middle class, please. Why would you wish to be born disadvantaged just so you could have the privilege of feeling smug when you are older? I'd rather have money and advantages from the get-go thanks very much.

Edit: If we're wishing for stuff, I'd much rather be born upper class - with a huge inheritance and not needing to do a days work ever.
Tefhel
Umm, middle class, please. Why would you wish to be born disadvantaged just so you could have the privilege of feeling smug when you are older? I'd rather have money and advantages from the get-go thanks very much.

Edit: If we're wishing for stuff, I'd much rather be born upper class - with a huge inheritance and not needing to do a days work ever.

Why is working class = disadvantaged?
I'd rather be born middle class.
Reply 45
blinkbelle
Why is working class = disadvantaged?

Because working class families have less disposable income, and therefore less money to spend on opportunities that others could afford.
blinkbelle
Thanks for calling me an idiot! Generalise much?! I think it depends on the individual's perceptions of the class system and their own personal experiences more than anything else.

So, your honestly saying that you would deprive yourself of all the privileges that come with being middle class, just so you get a nice warm feeling when your older, that lets you know you worked your way up there. When you could been in the same position but it would have been much easier, you would have enjoyed your time more, and would probably be happier.

So yes, if that is the case, you are an idiot.
End of the day, you can get to any class no matter where you start. I was born working class, but after my mum working very hard the last 16 years, i'm now considered middle class in a working class sixth form. Joy. :smile:
I would like to have been born upper class, shame my parents weren't cousins.
I don't care about class. I'm not aiming to be any particular class. I don't think in class terms and I couldn't care less how other people who are obsessed with defining people see me. If I'm seen as working-class then I'm proud of it because I'm me and if I can't be proud of myself I may as well slit my wrists. If they see me as middle-class or upper-class then I'm happy with that too. Yet most of all I want to succeed and be happy whilst retaining what is quintessentially me. If that means being working-class for the entirety of my life then fantastic. I don't understand why people aim for attaining borders that don't exist though. Those who are striving to be a particular class are just like dogs trying to catch their tail.
onlytruths
This thread is reminding me of the Monty Python Four yorkshiremen sketch.
Ee, I were dreamin' a-livin' in a septic tank, I were. :hubba:
I like being working class from a council estate, I appreciate little things so much more than some people I know with money, sorry but a high volume of upper class people take things for granted.
Max Hinks
So, your honestly saying that you would deprive yourself of all the privileges that come with being middle class, just so you get a nice warm feeling when your older, that lets you know you worked your way up there. When you could been in the same position but it would have been much easier, you would have enjoyed your time more, and would probably be happier.

So yes, if that is the case, you are an idiot.

If you read my post, you'll see that I don't want to be working class so I can 'work my way up', but simply because in my experience I had a great childhood, full of the cultural traditions, etc that come with being working class. I have not seen any middle class equivalents. Equally, I would prefer to appreciate things more and have been raised with the values which are inherent within me, because of my upbringing in a traditional, Northern working class family.
placenta medicae talpae
Working class.
Any day.

No, wait ...

Every day :biggrin:
I'm interested, why do you set so much store by it? I noticed the comment on your profile, too.
northern-vic
I like being working class from a council estate, I appreciate little things so much more than some people I know with money, sorry but a high volume of upper class people take things for granted.

This.
I don't think people understand what working class is.

And i'd guess, if you were born into a working class family there's around a 95% chance you'll stay working class and carry-on the family tradition by becoming a happy slapper.
blinkbelle
If you read my post, you'll see that I don't want to be working class so I can 'work my way up', but simply because in my experience I had a great childhood, full of the cultural traditions, etc that come with being working class. I have not seen any middle class equivalents. Equally, I would prefer to appreciate things more and have been raised with the values which are inherent within me, because of my upbringing in a traditional, Northern working class family.

But you would still deny yourself those privileges?
osiris6607
I don't think people understand what working class is.

And i'd guess, if you were born into a working class family there's around a 95% chance you'll stay working class and carry-on the family tradition by becoming a happy slapper.

That's Lower class. Not working class. And that's just mean, although it did make me smile.
Max Hinks
But you would still deny yourself those privileges?

What privileges?
Reply 59
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Born working class and work up to middle class. I like having goals.

You'd like your parents to go through menial labour and have less money to provide a comfortable lifestyle for you and the rest of your family so that you can enjoy having goals?

Latest

Trending

Trending