The Student Room Group
Reply 1
KatMizzle
In my highers i got CCCD.

I know what happened.. i underestimated the workload and didn't work hard enough.

This year, though, i'm working unbelievably hard - and will continue to!

But...

Do you think i'll just get rejected from all 5 of my choices (Strathclyde, Aberdeen, QMU, Dundee, Heriot-Watt) just for having poor grades?

Strathclyde most likely won't, however it really does depend on a lot of things.

The competition of the course(law and medicine are a definite no), your personal statement and whether you attend the open day or not.

Send each of the universities an e-mail and ask them for more information, furthermore, if your grades are acceptable.
Courses such as Social Work and Nursing generally have lower entrance requirements - Nursing at Uni of West of Scotland, for example, requires just two C. My friend's in a similar position - BCCD - but he's staying positive, and he is looking good for a place on Fire Risk Engineering at Caledonian, which is the course he would want to do anyway - it requires BBCC, but they apparently will likely give him a conditional due to the fact that the uptake isn't so big. Don't write yourself off just yet :smile:
Be careful: Strathclyde have a requirement of a Higher English (I think at an A, but I'm not so sure) for a surprising number of their courses. If you don't have it, and aren't taking it this year, you will be automatically rejected for those courses.
Reply 4
KatMizzle

I know what happened.. i underestimated the workload and didn't work hard enough.

But...

Do you think i'll just get rejected from all 5 of my choices (Strathclyde, Aberdeen, QMU, Dundee, Heriot-Watt) just for having poor grades?

There was people at my school who got similar grades and worse and applied for QM/Heriot-Watt/Stirling - they got offers and are now at uni but the offers were suprisingly demanding.
Reply 5
If your predicted grades are As or Bs then most of them should still consider you but it really depends on the course and the amount of demand for a place
Reply 6
TheUnbeliever
Be careful: Strathclyde have a requirement of a Higher English (I think at an A, but I'm not so sure) for a surprising number of their courses. If you don't have it, and aren't taking it this year, you will be automatically rejected for those courses.

It's a higher English pass I believe, not an A (well, at least for English, Journalism or Creative writing).
Reply 7
KatMizzle

But...

You probably won't be automatically rejected, but a lot depends on the course.

Strathclyde's Arts faculty is undergoing cutbacks after scoring poorly for their research (because half of the funding comes from there). Oddly, it means they're restricting capacity and driving entry requirements up slightly, which usually fools a few people into making a place seem better than it actually is. Less competitive courses (mathematical sciences and engineering usually) aren't as strict. If you're predicted good grades this year, you might have a shot. Outside of the three perceived 'main' universities in terms of competitiveness and standard of entry (Glasgow,St Andrews, Edinburgh), you've probably got the next four on your list in general, as well as QMU. For the latter, you'd stand a very good chance of an offer, I believe most of their courses, aside from the competitive speech therapy/physiotherapy etc, are around the BBB at higher mark- so you might gain an offer on a couple of Bs this year. Aberdeen always struggle to gain enough applicants because of its location, but its a very good university, so I think you'd also stand a chance of a conditional there too, and entry isn't over the top at your others.

All of this depends on your ability to meet said conditionals though. If you're set ABB, do you think you can make that? Because you might well be set something in that ballpark. If you don't, then consider changing a couple of your options. UWS, Napier, Caledonian, Abertay are all better options, maybe switch one or two of your options for them if need be.
Reply 8
Napier take anyone! :p:

My friend got into Journalism through clearing at Napier with grades similar to yours.

You could do nursing :s-smilie:
Ape Gone Insane
Some universities count may count a single "C" as a "B".

:s-smilie:
Ape Gone Insane
What?

They'll take a C as a B? How? :confused:
Reply 11
Ape Gone Insane
If you sit 2 years (S5 and S6) they may take one of your C's (achieved in S5) as a B.

Again: WHAT?! Who told you that?
That's odd ^
Reply 13
Ape Gone Insane
If you sit 2 years (S5 and S6) they may take one of your C's (achieved in S5) as a B.

Wow I hope the unis I've applied to do that :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending