The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
the mymble's daughter
I'd like to see you say that to my friend D. He was made redundant at the beginning of the year and has been unable to find a job despite applying for many. He is a highly intelligent man who speaks four or five languages fluently and several others enough to get him by. He is a qualified chef and welder and one of the kindest, funniest, most charming people I have had the privilege of getting acquainted with. But no-one will employ him.

Maybe he needs to look harder, then. There are jobs out there. Many of them. Lots of shops in my city have vacancies, for starters.
cpj1987
You just used it as an excuse. You said that you were qualified enough to have a job, that you have a good enough personality, but that you couldn't get a job because 'it's not what you know, it's who you know'.
In reality, it would've been you that was the problem.

no, i said sometimes its not what you know its who you know, i didnt say that was a reason why i couldnt get a job then
Reply 362
tinktinktinkerbell
no, i said sometimes its not what you know its who you know, i didnt say that was a reason why i couldnt get a job then

Right, fair enough.
tinktinktinkerbell

Massive backtrack! That was clearly what you implied!
:rolleyes:
cpj1987
Maybe he needs to look harder, then. There are jobs out there. Many of them. Lots of shops in my city have vacancies, for starters.

Upping sticks and moving to your city is not an option, sadly. His wife is training here and his children are in school and they do not have the funds to relocate. You have no idea how hard he is looking and how much he loathes being reliant on benefits. It has turned him into a shadow of a man. Shops are loathe to take him on because (we are guessing here) he has a strong accent and people tend to treat him like he's not quite right (I've seen this happen.). If you have such a sensitive nose for a vacant position then I suggest you come here and find him one. He would be grateful for it and be sure to give you plenty of his native 'cher booboo' in thanks.
Reply 365
the mymble's daughter
Upping sticks and moving to your city is not an option, sadly. His wife is training here and his children are in school and they do not have the funds to relocate. You have no idea how hard he is looking and how much he loathes being reliant on benefits. It has turned him into a shadow of a man. Shops are loathe to take him on because (we are guessing here) he has a strong accent and people tend to treat him like he's not quite right (I've seen this happen.). If you have such a sensitive nose for a vacant position then I suggest you come here and find him one. He would be grateful for it and be sure to give you plenty of his native 'cher booboo' in thanks.

I'm sure Preston isn't the only place in the UK to have jobs.
cpj1987
I'm sure Preston isn't the only place in the UK to have jobs.

There are a few in Bristol too! And most only require ONE language.
Reply 367
Democracy
I just find myself not caring about what you think. Great stuff! :borat:

Pity.

I think you'll find that if everybody listened to me the world would be a better place for me.
Freddy Jnr
There are a few in Bristol too! And most only require ONE language.

You know you really are coming across as a right tit. I mentioned his language skills as a demonstration of his education and intellect and well you know it. Quit looking for a fight.

I was demonstrating the fact that finding work is not always that easy, however hard you look and however capable you are. He is in the jobcentre every day applying for as many jobs as are available, from Lidl to kitchens to cleaning work. No-one is interested in him when there are ten others with a nice midlands accent in the queue beside him.
if you listen to a select few in this topic its piss easy to get a job, it just shows they dont know what they are talking about
Reply 370
Notice Arshinov makes a few sensible posts, the rest includes an argument over a hamster. A hamster. We truly live in an age of decadence.
Reply 371
cpj1987

Have you not noticed the time of year? Staff will be recruited part-time in the run up to Christmas, and most will be out the door when it's over.
Intourist
Have you not noticed the time of year? Staff will be recruited part-time in the run up to Christmas, and most will be out the door when it's over.

doesnt matter, a jobs still a job and it will look better on a CV than having a blank space
the mymble's daughter
You know you really are coming across as a right tit. I mentioned his language skills as a demonstration of his education and intellect and well you know it. Quit looking for a fight.

I was demonstrating the fact that finding work is not always that easy, however hard you look and however capable you are. He is in the jobcentre every day applying for as many jobs as are available, from Lidl to kitchens to cleaning work. No-one is interested in him when there are ten others with a nice midlands accent in the queue beside him.

Sorry - I was just looking to get a reaction there and you're clearly on to me.

:p:

I do appreciate that's it's not easy to get a job all the time, especially in difficult times. What type of accent does he have? If he went for a job in Lidl, they may well be looking for a "lifer" and not want to take someone who will, no doubt, (as he should) look for a better opportunity as soon as it comes along. The five languages, welding and culinary skills may render him "over-qualified" in that respect.
Freddy Jnr
Sorry - I was just looking to get a reaction there and you're clearly on to me.

:p:

I do appreciate that's it's not easy to get a job all the time, especially in difficult times. What type of accent does he have? If he went for a job in Lidl, they may well be looking for a "lifer" and not want to take someone who will, no doubt, (as he should) look for a better opportunity as soon as it comes along. The five languages, welding and culinary skills may render him "over-qualified" in that respect.

You are a bad, bad man:whip: :wink:

He's Algerian, he's lived in this country for years but still sounds obviously 'foreign', more Frenchish than anything. I guess his combination of skills is rather eclectic; we've suggested he teaches languages but he claims his English isn't good enough.
Reply 375
tinktinktinkerbell
doesnt matter, a jobs still a job and it will look better on a CV than having a blank space

Of course it matters you silly bugger.
Reply 376
Intourist
Of course it matters you silly bugger.

No it doesn't. :s-smilie:
IF the job you end up getting is a Christmas temp job, you take it and you find another before it ends.
Reply 377
cpj1987
IF the job you end up getting is a Christmas temp job, you take it and you find another before it ends.

In an ideal world. Lets have a look at more complicated, and often ******* realities. A part-time and temporary job at minimum wage. With a family ...
cpj1987

cant believe im about to agree with you but yes i do

a jobs a job at the end of the day and people if they really want a job shouldnt be picky, unless they have a good reason IE a medical one
Reply 379
tinktinktinkerbell
cant believe im about to agree with you but yes i do

a jobs a job at the end of the day and people if they really want a job shouldnt be picky, unless they have a good reason IE a medical one

And it doesn't cover the cost of your living, you lose other benefits or have to claim others. Never has there been such stunning insight since Jeremy Kyle's trailblazing success at goading tattooed people into arguing.

Latest

Trending

Trending