The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
burgerchips
I'm applying to study modern languages and got an e-mail inviting me to attend an open day on 25th November or 9th December today. Apparently I'll have an interview during the course of the day :s-smilie: Nothing has changed on UCAS though to say I'm having an interview or anything so a bit confused but oh well!
Anyone else applying to do languages?!

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I don't think UCAS will change to state anything to reflect you have an interview. Interviews are fairly unusual these days (it's only really Oxbridge, UCL and medical courses that bother with them these days), so they're basically outside of the UCAS system. Only once you've had the interview and UCL decide to make you an offer or decline you will you see any change on UCAS, I believe.

If the MFL open/interview days are structured as they were for (at least) the last two years, they basically consist of a guided tour of UCL, a brief pause for (very) light refreshments, a few talks by various officials (e.g. the dean of the arts/humanities faculty, dean of students, international office, UCLU etc) followed by applicants being taken to the department in which they'll be interviewed. Once there, some departments give a further brief presentation and then you're left to wait for your interview with other applicants. Usually some current students are on hand during the waiting period so you can ask them questions. It's relatively painless to be honest. The interviews are not in the style of the Oxbridge grilling and are generally quite informal.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Mumintroll

So will you be asked to show your ability in that subject? E.g. be asked maths questions or speak a little Spanish?
Reply 42
For those who had chemistry interviews yesterday .. (Yesterday being Tuesday 3rd November lol)

How'd they go?
Reply 43
Got an interview for physics in the new year. Anyone able to tell me what they are like?
Reply 44
mcp2
So will you be asked to show your ability in that subject? E.g. be asked maths questions or speak a little Spanish?

I can only answer for MFL. If it's not an ab initio language, then yes, you will nearly always be asked to speak a little of the language in question. Sometimes, for people studying two languages, the interview is conducted by only a representative of one of the two language departments - so you might get away with not having to speak both (e.g. the French dept might interview you for French and German, and you might get away without speaking any German). But, more often than not they manage to arrange for two interviewers in such a case.

No clue what Maths does, sorry. I think I've heard that English makes applicants do a wee written exercise, analysis of a poem or text or some such thing. But, don't quote me on that one.
Reply 45
OK so I will most probably be tested a little. Thank you for the response!
Reply 46
Interview at UCL for Geophysics, 9th december. Anyone else wanting geophysics at UCL or am I the only one? :-S
biotech/chem interview 16th december
burgerchips
I'm applying to study modern languages and got an e-mail inviting me to attend an open day on 25th November or 9th December today. Apparently I'll have an interview during the course of the day :s-smilie: Nothing has changed on UCAS though to say I'm having an interview or anything so a bit confused but oh well!

i'm applying for German&Swedish, I haven't heard anything from them since i got acknowledgement
Reply 49
Name: Ruth
Subject Applying for: Archaeology
Date of Interview:18th November

such short notice o.O they only just told me! aaaah
Reply 50
I have an interview in the new year for Information Management For Business. They havnt decided when yet which is... annoying to say the least but oh well :woo: interview :biggrin:
Reply 51
burgerchips

Did they send you an e-mail or did they notify you by post?
I've applied and I still haven't heard anything yet! :woo:
Only acknowledgement!
Xehra
For those who had chemistry interviews yesterday .. (Yesterday being Tuesday 3rd November lol)

How'd they go?

This.
Reply 53
I'm applying for French and got an email inviting me to interview on the 2nd of december. It says 'group 1' so I'm guessing it will be a group interview?

Anyone else in group one ? :smile:
Reply 54
anyone heard about Maths yet!?! :frown:
Reply 55
If anyones interested I have a friend who had a physics interview today and he was told that 99.9% of the people in the room would get an offer
Reply 56
jamz0770
If anyones interested I have a friend who had a physics interview today and he was told that 99.9% of the people in the room would get an offer

Thank you!
Should i be worrying i haven't heard anything back, not even an acknowledgement of reciept of application applying for biomedical science? :frown:
Reply 58
katiekatiejane
Should i be worrying i haven't heard anything back, not even an acknowledgement of reciept of application applying for biomedical science? :frown:

Check your Junk folder for acknowledgement thats where mine was. UCL seem to be pretty slow so I wouldnt worry if you have nothing yet. I applied on the 25th of september and got something back this week. (Different course though)
Reply 59
jamz0770
Check your Junk folder for acknowledgement thats where mine was. UCL seem to be pretty slow so I wouldnt worry if you have nothing yet. I applied on the 25th of september and got something back this week. (Different course though)

has anyone heard from ucl for biomedical sciences?

Latest

Trending

Trending