The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DFranklin
rbnphlp: You seem to be arguing as follows:

I want to solve f(x) = 0. I will multiply both sides by g(x) to get g(x)f(x) = 0. Therefore, any solution to g(x) = 0 is a solution to f(x) = 0.

Put like that, it's obviously invalid reasoning...

Youre right as always ..:eviltongue:
DFranklin
Look guys, I know you want the equation to have a certain form, but I'm really struggling to see how you could *possibly* decide that when someone posts x^2+2x+2ln(x)=0 they really mean x2+2x+12lnx=0\frac{x^2+2x+1}{2 \ln x} = 0 :confused:

no these are two different questions, right?
Reply 22
In terms of specifying 2lnx=0 as a solution it is slightly relevant but whatever, the problems seems to have been resolved.
Reply 23
rbnphlp
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^2%2B2x%2B2lnx%3D0

that's all well and good but i was hoping someone would tell me how to actually solve it instead of picking the easy way out
Reply 24
OP, could you actually write the question in a form which isn't ambiguous? I mean, we're 27 posts into the thread and I can't even tell what the exact question is.
Reply 25
Ratiasu
that's all well and good but i was hoping someone would tell me how to actually solve it instead of picking the easy way out

you should know newton raphson or bisection method something like that to solve it..
Reply 26
Oh and x=1 isn't a solution :p:.
Reply 27
Small123
Oh and x=1 isn't a solution :p:.

yes it is draw a lnx graph (im sure im not wrong this time)
Reply 28
rbnphlp
you should know newton raphson or bisection method something like that to solve it..

i actually have no idea what you're talking about

oh and i dont know how to write it out 'properly' i've got no programs to do that, can anyone suggest one
Reply 29
rbnphlp
yes it is draw a lnx graph (im sure im not wrong this time)

substitute x=1 into x2+2x+12lnx\dfrac{x^2+2x+1}{2lnx}. The answer will not be 0.
Reply 30
Small123
substitute x=1 into x2+2x+12lnx\dfrac{x^2+2x+1}{2lnx}. The answer will not be 0.

I was reffering to when lnx=0 , not the question the op asked
small123 just answered you innit? equate the numerator to zero.
Reply 32
rbnphlp
I was reffering to when lnx=0 , not the question the op asked

Ah, ok.
Reply 33
Ratiasu
i actually have no idea what you're talking about

oh and i dont know how to write it out 'properly' i've got no programs to do that, can anyone suggest one

I believe that if you look just above the thread, near where it says 'Useful Resources', there's a link on 'How to use LaTeX'.

either that or just use some damn brackets.
Reply 34
alright i'll use brackets then

it's (x^2)+(2*x)+2*ln(x)=0 is that any clearer?
Reply 35
That's very clear, thanks.

We cannot solve this equation to give an exact answer (like 4, 23/2, e^(23 + pi)). Therefore, you're going to have to find an approximate solution using numerical methods. Do you know how to use any of the following?:
- interval bisection
- linear interpolation
- the Newton-Raphson method
Reply 36
Oh sorry. Had a stupid moment. Got mixed up with ln0 and ln1.
Reply 37
tommm
That's very clear, thanks.

We cannot solve this equation to give an exact answer (like 4, 23/2, e^(23 + pi)). Therefore, you're going to have to find an approximate solution using numerical methods. Do you know how to use any of the following?:
- interval bisection
- linear interpolation
- the Newton-Raphson method

can't be solved? hmm... now that new, and no i don't know those
Reply 38
lol this thread is gold
Reply 39
Pheylan
lol this thread is gold

not for me:no:

Latest