The Student Room Group

UCAS help

I am having a nightmare completing my UCAS application. It asks what form of funding I will receive but I have already been to a careers adviser and they have said I need to apply to the actual course first and the deadline for SAAS is June next year. Will I just select the SAAS option on the assumption that as a Scottish citizen who will be studying in Scotland I will not have to pay for my tuition?

The other thing that's confusing me is references. Do you chose a reference and tell them first or will UCAS contact them? It seems the best option to appoint someone from my school but they will have no idea what my predicted grades will be or how suitable I will be for the course as I left school over 4 years ago and similarly my previous employer will not have this knowledge either. Is anyone else having this problem. I really need help!!!

Cheers
You need a referee to write a statement about you, similar to your personal statement but from their point of view. I'm pretty sure you cannot send off your application without this.

Maybe get a short reference from a few people like your previous employer, last form tutor at school etc and ask whoever writes the reference to take into account what they say?
Reply 2
Yeah the UCAS form will not go through without a reference but I was just wondering if I would just put someone down for it and UCAS will get in touch with them or get the particular person/ body to write me one and send that with my application or if the application will allow me to attach this. Do you think that I should get in touch with SAAS to check if I would get funding?

Cheers,
Reply 3
eshepherd12
Yeah the UCAS form will not go through without a reference but I was just wondering if I would just put someone down for it and UCAS will get in touch with them or get the particular person/ body to write me one and send that with my application or if the application will allow me to attach this. Do you think that I should get in touch with SAAS to check if I would get funding?

Cheers,
I can't help you on the funding front so contact SAAS if you need advice, or check out the Money and Finance forum here.

On the reference issue, check out the UCAS page on Apply, which has a whole section on references including what to do if you are applying independently.

Latest

Trending

Trending