The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
popadom
I have a question. I'm applying for Biomed at Queen's campus. Do I still need to pick a college?

Yes, or you can put in an open application.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
You have a choice of John Snow or Stephenson. If you don't want to chose, then go for an open app and they'll allocate you to one of these two.
racoon97
What bad things? :o:

Whad did you do in the end? I was having similar thoughts to you, wasn't sure about queens campus but visiting the campus helped a lot. Theres a huge, i mean huge shopping park nearby with a bowling alley and cinema, theres a few good clubs around and the facilities are modern.

Are you a after a lively, exciting student experience? If so I would say that neither Durham or Queens campus is suitable. If you are looking for a more chilled out, enjoyable time then either should be okay. Durham has that traditional feel and queens campus has the contemporary feel, Durham feels more lively though due to the extra students up there.
Reply 23
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Whad did you do in the end? I was having similar thoughts to you, wasn't sure about queens campus but visiting the campus helped a lot. Theres a huge, i mean huge shopping park nearby with a bowling alley and cinema, theres a few good clubs around and the facilities are modern.

Are you a after a lively, exciting student experience? If so I would say that neither Durham or Queens campus is suitable. If you are looking for a more chilled out, enjoyable time then either should be okay. Durham has that traditional feel and queens campus has the contemporary feel, Durham feels more lively though due to the extra students up there.

I've changed to the course offered at Durham City. I'm thinking the setting will suit me more. I don't expect to get an offer, but here's hoping.
Reply 24
I got onto both Psychology and Applied Psych, and opted for Applied psych so that "in the real world" I would be one step ahead of the other 8768414532495908 plain psychology graduates out there.

It has more applied courses which will help if you want to go into an applied career rather than academic - forensic psychology has just started up in Applied Psych for example.

When I started my boyfriend was on main campus, and in second year I moved to Durham. TBH I prefer Stockton to study in and will travel down for the clean, new, spaciousness of it all. The lecture rooms I've had modules in in Durham are very old and musty and crumbly. However, Durham is obviously a much nicer place to live in.

It depends what is more important - where you live, or what you are studying. If you want Durham "no matter what" then I suggest ditching the degree and just getting a job int mines.
Reply 25
Sorry, I just thought to add.

The Applied course has a much heavier weighting of science. That was another large part in my decision to take AP over straight psychology as both my parents are scientists, and felt that when it comes to applying for jobs, I would look better having studied modules called "clinical cognitive neuroscience" than the Durham Psychology equivalent "How the brain works and what happens when it all goes wrong".

Stockton also houses the Wolfson research Centre for clinical neuroscience, and as an applied psychology undergrad you have the opportunity to work as a research assistant on various neurocognitive projects. When i was studying, I spent a summer (paid) learning and applying Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to subjects.

The focus of the course was mainly around autism, dyslexia and visual field disorder (agnosia, apraxia etc).

The stuff about it being easier because it has a lower entry is nonsense. My boyfriend was studying history in Durham at the same time as I was doing AP, and attended a couple of my lectures. I think it was biology and cognitive, and he said himself that it was much more complex and taxing than anything he had studied (he did A-level chemistry). However, we also had a lesser workload than history, so I am in no way criticising that!

Latest

Trending

Trending