The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Would be pretty good if the colleges were as financially well of as the Oxbridge colleges though, we can only dream i suppose!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Becca

I suppose the college gives guided tours but not that many people go on them - it isn't a huge source of income anyway.

I'm not really sure why this matters but its not true. I live in the castle and see lots of people queueing for tours every day!

Some of the rooms in the castle do have kitchens, mine does but others don't so it really depends on where you end up living. I definitley wouldn't worry about the accommodation at castle, it's similar to every other college and in general not that many people actually share rooms and very few move out after the first term!
Reply 22
jelly-baby
I'm not really sure why this matters but its not true. I live in the castle and see lots of people queueing for tours every day!

Some of the rooms in the castle do have kitchens, mine does but others don't so it really depends on where you end up living. I definitley wouldn't worry about the accommodation at castle, it's similar to every other college and in general not that many people actually share rooms and very few move out after the first term!

I used to live in the Castle as well, and I think relatively speaking (compared to how many tours they could give/the amount of tours given at certain Oxbridge colleges) there are not many tours of Durham castle. AFAIK, the tours are not every day.
Reply 23
Becca
Castle doesn't have that much money. I'm not sure the Durham colleges are financially like Oxford or Cambridge. All the balls are funded by ticket sales and JCR fundraising afaik.
What money the college has goes into maintaining the buildings and stopping the castle from falling in the river.
I suppose the college gives guided tours but not that many people go on them - it isn't a huge source of income anyway.

I have a friend on the Castle MCR exec and he was telling me about how the MCR and JCR have too much money at the moment - they were threatened with having their charitable status taken away for hoarding it. The MCR have just spent a huge sum of money on a load of unnecessary entertainment equipment just to get round the problem.

I think they should have bought a speedboat or a hot air balloon or something cool but never mind :frown:
Reply 24
I realise this is too late to affect your college decision but

this is a lie, we dnt have hords of money. if we had this money then it would be spent on improving the college with necessary and usefull equipment and renovations. i go to castle and by the sounds of it so does Becca so we would know a little more about it.
Reply 25
Jemobel
I realise this is too late to affect your college decision but

this is a lie, we dnt have hords of money. if we had this money then it would be spent on improving the college with necessary and usefull equipment and renovations. i go to castle and by the sounds of it so does Becca so we would know a little more about it.

Fair enough, my friends on Castle exec must have been lying.
Wait, so we can live in Castle and not have to share rooms??
Reply 27
Dairy Milky Chocolate
Wait, so we can live in Castle and not have to share rooms??

Yes, but if you actually live IN the CASTLE, rather than Castle's other accommodation, then there is a high chance of sharing, especially if you are a first year.
Reply 28
DougieG
I have a friend on the Castle MCR exec and he was telling me about how the MCR and JCR have too much money at the moment - they were threatened with having their charitable status taken away for hoarding it. The MCR have just spent a huge sum of money on a load of unnecessary entertainment equipment just to get round the problem.

I think they should have bought a speedboat or a hot air balloon or something cool but never mind :frown:

I heard this too, directly from two or three members of the MRC exec!
Reply 29
pipsi
I heard this too, directly from two or three members of the MRC exec!

Thank you! I'm not completely insane :biggrin:

Latest