The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jail please
Bslforever
yeah, it probably would be more sensible for drives to swerve out into oncoming traffic so that they would avoid the puddle.

And as for it being illegal to drench someone and not stop...are you sure? So its ok if i pull over, hop out of my car and go "daaaamn, sorry about that". ... would that really make any difference?

Slowing right down or even stopping are the options to consider if there is oncoming traffic.

If it does happen, you are expected to stop, apologise and offer to pay for any damage you caused - dry cleaning bills, new mobile telephone etc. The victims could certainly sue and would certainly expect to wi if they did.
DanielNewton
As I said I was refering to the post by Good Bloke (I did not right that)

I was really thinking of these 2 paragraphs;

Inconsiderate driving: liable to a three point endorsement, a fine up to £5,000, possible disqualification - and the vehicle can be seized.

Possibly, dangerous driving - given the deliberate nature of the act and the likelihood of causing an accident by aquaplaning - fine, likely disqualification from driving, possible gaol time up to twelve months.

No-one is going to get charged for something so trivial. The police have real work to do.
Bslforever
It could be construded as assault? Seriously? Now you are def making that up. The day that soaking someone from your car is assault will be the day that a drive by shooting can be seen as squirting someone with a supersoaker from the window of your car.

I wrote that. Merely touching someone, or threatening to strike them, can be an assault in law. Assault is legally defined as an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. This incident certainly seems to qualify.

A drive-by shooting is a tad more serious than an assault - attempted murder might be more the area you should be thinking of there.
Bslforever
No-one is going to get charged for something so trivial. The police have real work to do.

There is nothing 'trivial' about it;

If your driving down the road :driver:
and you see a huge puddel coming up :eyeball:
and there is someone walking next to the puddle and you swerve into the puddle, aqua-plane the water onto said person :devil: and drive away.

Simply you have commited an offence, you are driving dangerously (going into a puddle on purpose) you did not stop, say sorry (although if you did it on purpose) nor did you ask them if you damaged anything or ask them if you could replace said damaged items.

I agree with the mod above, this person should sue you :call:

* this is an example
Clubber Lang
jail please

at least 3 months, for all the times i've been splashed by cars driving over puddles.
Reply 46
That man is bloody creepy.:wtf:
DanielNewton
There is nothing 'trivial' about it;

If your driving down the road :driver:
and you see a huge puddel coming up :eyeball:
and there is someone walking next to the puddle and you swerve into the puddle, aqua-plane the water onto said person :devil: and drive away.

Simply you have commited an offence, you are driving dangerously (going into a puddle on purpose) you did not stop, say sorry (although if you did it on purpose) nor did you ask them if you damaged anything or ask them if you could replace said damaged items.

I agree with the mod above, this person should sue you :call:

* this is an example

I dont think you know what aquaplaning is.

If the judicial system has progressed to the point of attempting to prosecute someone for getting someone else wet, i don't know what the world is coming to.
That's ******* hilarious but it's also disgustingly immature and irresponsible and it's good that they're being prosecuted.
Bslforever

If the judicial system has progressed to the point of attempting to prosecute someone for getting someone else wet, i don't know what the world is coming to.

It is coming to a higher degree of civilisation, I think. This is not new, by the way; the law has been there (and frequently used) for many, many years.
they wil ldefinitley get somesort of driving charge because its so easy to do them for it

fine and points i would imagine minimum.
Good bloke
It is coming to a higher degree of civilisation, I think. This is not new, by the way; the law has been there (and frequently used) for many, many years.

The law against getting people wet has been frequently used for many many years?

With a higher degree of civilisation (as you call it) we are calling more work onto an over stretched judicial system meaning that whilst we go chasing up rediculous events like happy splashing, real problems slip through the cracks.
Bslforever
I dont think you know what aquaplaning is.

Are you achually insane?

Its not 'just getting somone wet' its driving like an utter tosser to cause some innocent person to get drenched :mad:

- Water could have stones/loose debris from the road in it
- Water from the side of the road is dirty
- You have to drive (at speed) into a puddle which is dangerous driving
- You could loose control and run this person/group of people over

Said drenched person could be miles away from home, you could have damaged there clothes or you could have damaged expensive electronics such as there iPod or Mobile phone. - Surely you have to agree with that? If not then I'm going to go ahead with my assumption that your one of these people that drives arround doing this.
DanielNewton
Are you achually insane?

Its not 'just getting somone wet' its driving like an utter tosser to cause some innocent person to get drenched :mad:

Said drenched person could be miles away from home, you could have damaged there clothes or you could have damaged expensive electronics such as there iPod or Mobile phone. - Surely you have to agree with that?

"Driving like an utter tosser to cause some innocent person to get drenched" is just a very emotive way of saying "getting someone wet"
Reply 54
Why would they hand themselves in?
Bslforever
"Driving like an utter tosser to cause some innocent person to get drenched" is just a very emotive way of saying "getting someone wet"

Yes you are 'getting someone wet' but....

Said drenched person could be miles away from home, you could have damaged there clothes or you could have damaged expensive electronics such as there iPod or Mobile phone.

Doing this is wrong, I think your one of these people that 'Happy Splash' there is no logical reason on earth (unless your somekind of retard) that you would think this is acceptable behaviour.
DanielNewton
Yes you are 'getting someone wet' but....

Said drenched person could be miles away from home, you could have damaged there clothes or you could have damaged expensive electronics such as there iPod or Mobile phone.

Doing this is wrong, I think your one of these people that 'Happy Splash' there is no logical reason on earth (unless your somekind of retard) that you would think this is acceptable behaviour.

No i get you...you already posted that in your last post...i read it.

I don't happy splash as it happens. The reason being i cant yet drive, and im not quite fast enough on foot to run through a puddle and soak everyone. I tried. All i got were wet socks.
Bslforever

"Getting wet" rather mimises the potential harm and inconvience, though, doesn't it? The need to replace a £300 mobile telphone, the need to spend several pounds in dry cleaning a suit and the discomfort and even ill-health that spring from being drenched (and we aren't talking about a few drops of water, we are talking about a couple of gallons of cold oily, muddy water - with force). Spectacles worth, say £200, could have been knocked off and broken, and grit forced into someon's eye. It isn't trivial at all.
Good bloke
"Getting wet" rather mimises the potential harm and inconvience, though, doesn't it? The need to replace a £300 mobile telphone, the need to spend several pounds in dry cleaning a suit and the discomfort and even ill-health that spring from being drenched (and we aren't talking about a few drops of water, we are talking about a couple of gallons of cold oily, muddy water - with force). Spectacles worth, say £200, could have been knocked off and broken, and grit forced into someon's eye. It isn't trivial at all.

It is trivial in comparison to many other problems, i just think we should prioritze the ones that matter.

And ok, i do understand that it is not a nice thing to do. Im not condoning it, but i just dont think its that big a deal. If it happened to me, i would be pissed, but i could laugh it off.
Bslforever
If it happened to me, i would be pissed, but i could laugh it off.

Let's hope that it happens to you on a day when you aren't on your way to an important job interview in your best (or only) suit, with your contact details securely stored in your iPhone or a PDA and your exam certificates or other important douments in your hands. A good muddy splashing under those circumstances might severely test your powers of laughing off.

Latest

Trending

Trending