The Student Room Group

Tottenham cannot play home fixtures on the same evening as Arsenal

Tottenham cannot play home fixtures on the same evening as Arsenal - and with the Gunners game selected for television it could not be moved from Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/8329587.stm

First time I have heard this - why so?

Is it due to police resources, or them being worried the fans will all kick off on the tube or something?
Reply 1
Police resources, it's like this in lots of places, Manure and City can't play together, not Southampton and Portsmouth etc.
Reply 2
Probably police/public resources. I read an article over the summer about the fixtures compilation computer and remember reading that there are a number of teams that cant have home games at the same time. It stretches to all the leagues so any clubs that are close together, regardless of league, cannot have games at the same time.
And just general infrastructure issues I would presume
Not even Newcastle and Sunderland play at home on the same day, even though they're two separate cities.

"Putting the fixture list together is incredibly complex - with a whole series of factors ensuring it is an increasingly difficult task.

Just to give you one example; every club is paired with another in regard to when they play their home and away fixtures. This is done for a number of reasons, one being so that clubs like Everton and Liverpool do not play at home on the same weekend.

West Ham, it turns out, are paired with Dagenham and Redbridge. But for reasons of revenue Southend request they do not play at home on the same day as the Hammers as they believe it impacts upon their attendance.

Southend, though, are in Essex, as are Colchester, so they cannot play together on the same weekend. Colchester share stewards with Ipswich so those two clubs also request they do not play home games on the same weekend. Transport links dictate Ipswich and Norwich do not play together on the same weekend either. In other words, when West Ham play at home can have an impact on when a club as far away as Norwich (108.8 miles) play their home fixtures. And there are 12 other professional clubs in London...."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html
Reply 5
QED
Police resources, it's like this in lots of places, Manure and City can't play together, not Southampton and Portsmouth etc.

What the heck?! They're in different cities though!
EskimoJo
What the heck?! They're in different cities though!

Do they have the same constabulary though?

That extract is really interesting though Stu, I knew it wasn't a case of simply putting them all in a hat and drawing out dates, but never appreciated the depth to it. Quite mad really!
CJ

That extract is really interesting though Stu, I knew it wasn't a case of simply putting them all in a hat and drawing out dates, but never appreciated the depth to it. Quite mad really!

I find it amazing that they can actually fit all the fixtures in. Especially, like the article mentions, with the likes of Norwich and West Ham affecting one another. Must have been hell when they were in the same league together.
Reply 8
CJ

Both in Hampshire, so they would have the same constabulary? But both cities are like 20 miles apart, so i don't see it ever being a problem.. Except on the trains..

Spurs & Arsenal are closer, so i can see why it would be a problem for the cozzers.
Reply 9
Stu Laverty
I find it amazing that they can actually fit all the fixtures in. Especially, like the article mentions, with the likes of Norwich and West Ham affecting one another. Must have been hell when they were in the same league together.

Would be a fun day out! :biggrin:
Reply 10
The trains, the trains, the trains indeed.
Reply 11
QED
The trains, the trains, the trains indeed.

Bloody too right. They used to be an absolute nightmare back when Southampton & Pompey were playing on the same day. (or when they do nowadays..)

Harmless banter always turned nasty.

Police were useless.
Reply 12
On a side note, all teams request not to play Millwall because they are in fact, *****.
.Andrew.
Both in Hampshire, so they would have the same constabulary? But both cities are like 20 miles apart, so i don't see it ever being a problem.. Except on the trains..

Spurs & Arsenal are closer, so i can see why it would be a problem for the cozzers.

I suppose because of the trains, and that Southampton and Portsmouth are the two most supported clubs in Hampshire (?). Certainly that applies for Newcastle and Sunderland, for Tyne and Wear, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for Pompey and Southampton.
Reply 14
Stu Laverty
I suppose because of the trains, and that Southampton and Portsmouth are the two most supported clubs in Hampshire (?). Certainly that applies for Newcastle and Sunderland, for Tyne and Wear, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for Pompey and Southampton.

Apart from Havant & Waterlooville. :p:

Yeah, more or less would be the same as you guys up there with Newcasle & Sunderland. I'd presume alot of Newcastle fans live in Sunderland and Sunderland fans live in Newcastle.. Paths would cross - Same situtation with Pompey & Soton.

I don't know how close Sunderland & Newcastle are, but yeah, you are right :yes:

Dangerous stuff.
im guessing its the same for chelsea and fulham?
.Andrew.
Apart from Havant & Waterlooville. :p:

Yeah, more or less would be the same as you guys up there with Newcasle & Sunderland. I'd presume alot of Newcastle fans live in Sunderland and Sunderland fans live in Newcastle.. Paths would cross - Same situtation with Pompey & Soton.

I don't know how close Sunderland & Newcastle are, but yeah, you are right :yes:

Dangerous stuff.

Newcastle and Sunderland are about 10-13 miles apart (so when you think of it in terms of the whole country its not too different than Pompey and Southampton. Yeah, Newcastle fans live in Newcastle, Sunderland in Sunderland mostly (although you do get a couple of opposing fans lurking in the other city :teeth: ). Paths cross, things can get ugly pretty quickly.
Reply 17
The last time City and United played at home on the same night, couple of weeks ago, they had to pay the police extra money to allow it.

Latest