The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computing interview at Imperial

Hey there,

I have an interview at Imperial Computing department on the 4th of November.

Just wondering if anyone has had an interview yet (including last years and before students!), or will be having one (maybe even on the same day as me! ).

If so, I was just wondering if you could give me a quick runthrough of what they'll ask, and if I need to do any revision for it.

Cheers everyone!

Dan.

P.S. If anyone else is going down on the 4th Nov to Imperial, contact me (MSN, email or PM on here is preferred. :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Danltn

4th of November is the first interview date for Computing.

Revision is not really necessary, but if there are maths/computing topics which you should know from your A-Levels, but are not confident about, then revise those.

They want to find out why you want to study what you've chosen and how willing/able you are to learn. You cannot really revise this. To test your abilities, they'll probably show you code and ask you to explain what it does*.

* Don't worry if you don't understand the code, they don't expect everyone to understand. If you struggle, ask!

See you next Wednesday!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
What 98QEHS said.

Also, I could be one of the tour guides on your interview day, so I'll let you know if you do end up in my group :biggrin:

Good luck!
Reply 3
98QEHS
4th of November is the first interview date for Computing.

Revision is not really necessary, but if there are maths/computing topics which you should know from your A-Levels, but are not confident about, then revise those.

They want to find out why you want to study what you've chosen and how willing/able you are to learn. You cannot really revise this. To test your abilities, they'll probably show you code and ask you to explain what it does*.

* Don't worry if you don't understand the code, they don't expect everyone to understand. If you struggle, ask!

See you next Wednesday!

They won't show you any code what-so-ever. (at least if it's anything like my interview last year)

I was asked an integration question and a logic question. When I got stuck with either question the interviewer helped me through it and made sure I was willing to listen to the advice I was being given and could learn from it.

The bulk of the interview was about my PS and interests, why Imperial, etc..
I had my interview a couple of years ago for 2008 entry. I got asked about the most efficient way to reverse a string of numbers in an array-type format. We talked through it, I came up with ideas (but they weren't optimal) and the interviewer helped me reach the best solution. That's the most important thing - listening to the interviewer and making sure you seem interested in what they're saying. If you get something wrong or don't know how to do something, it's not a disaster. Speak your mind if you have no idea, don't just stay silent. I was also asked about programming languages (don't worry, they won't ask you about anything you haven't learned, but they can ask you "have you done any Java?" and then if you say yes they could ask you about it, so don't lie!).
Danltn
Hey there,

I have an interview at Imperial Computing department on the 4th of November.

Just wondering if anyone has had an interview yet (including last years and before students!), or will be having one (maybe even on the same day as me! ).

If so, I was just wondering if you could give me a quick runthrough of what they'll ask, and if I need to do any revision for it.

Cheers everyone!

Dan.

P.S. If anyone else is going down on the 4th Nov to Imperial, contact me (MSN, email or PM on here is preferred. :smile:)

Hey, good luck!
My interview was OK, it was nothing you could revise for, they just ask you 'logic questions' ie, how could rearrange this and maybe a tiny bit of Maths. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else. And hopefully see you around in the Huxley building next week!
Danltn

I had my interview last year (Imperial was my second choice) for the Masters JMC.

I was asked three graph sketching involving trigonometric functions and a simple proof by induction. On the computer science side my interviewer asked me if I've heard of quicksort before. When I said I have he asked me to explain it to him. That took me by surprise a bit but I managed to string together a coherent answer. We then discussed the time and space complexity of the algorithm etc.

On the general side I was asked about my personal statement, interests in computer science and past programming experience.
Reply 7
Danltn

How was the day?
Reply 8
98QEHS
How was the day?

Wasn't impressed particularly by the Uni, Southampton is going to stay as my firm choice.

Interview questions were bloody hard for me, considerably harder than the other peoples' questions (seriously! maybe I just got unlucky but I knew a lot of the answers to other peoples' questions instantly. Ah well.). Got all the answers though.

All in all, I have no intention of going there, not one of my top two choices.

Dan.

Edit: Also, all my questions were entirely mathematical, no computing or logic questions, despite being interviewed by the head of Logic!
Reply 9
I just got invited to an interview on the 18th, so shall be spending the next week and a bit revising everything mentioned on my personal statement :s-smilie: Good luck to everyone else getting interviewed :smile:
Reply 10
Danltn
Wasn't impressed particularly by the Uni, Southampton is going to stay as my firm choice.

Interview questions were bloody hard for me, considerably harder than the other peoples' questions (seriously! maybe I just got unlucky but I knew a lot of the answers to other peoples' questions instantly. Ah well.).

All in all, I have no intention of going there, not one of my top two choices.

Dan.

Edit: Also, all my questions were entirely mathematical, no computing or logic questions, despite being interviewed by the head of Logic!

Fair enough man, good luck at wherever you go to :smile: Southampton is a very nice place (I live there during the holidays)
Reply 11
Hi, just found this thread as I also had my interview on the 4th (I might have even seen you there :wink:

I'm not sure how my interview went; I don't think it was appalling, but not brilliant either. I was asked a few questions about my personal statement and then given 2 logic problems with a small amount of maths involved (basically both problem solving questions).

I got the answers to them in the end although I think my interview ended up lasting about half an hour when they said it should last about 15 mins XD The interviewer was really nice and had to prompt me in the right direction when I got stuck.

I would kill for an offer though, loved the place :smile: Never seen it before but I would love to be in London for a few years, so just hoping. I have an interview at Southampton too, a week today in fact!
Reply 12
James305
I got the answers to them in the end although I think my interview ended up lasting about half an hour when they said it should last about 15 mins XD The interviewer was really nice and had to prompt me in the right direction when I got stuck.

So you're the one who delayed everything? :P:

What did you think of the demos? Interesting? Boring? Wish you could've just gone home?
Reply 13
Haha maybe that was me :P hopefully not. I was in group 5 so one of the last to go in and didn't they put a fair few of us in interviews at the same time? Might have held a few people up though hehe. Ah well, he let me finish doing the problems at least.

The demos were pretty good I thought, the self balancing robot was the most entertaining for the obvious reasons but they were all pretty neat. I wish I'd been more awake though, by then I was pretty tired from having to get up early for a train.

Did you have an interview or are you already there and was helping with the day?
Reply 14
James305
Did you have an interview or are you already there and was helping with the day?

I was helping on the day :smile:
Reply 15
98QEHS
I was helping on the day :smile:

Which one were you, what were you helping with? :smile:
Reply 16
Danltn
Which one were you, what were you helping with? :smile:

I was doing a demo. That's why I wanted to know what you guys think of them :woo:
Reply 17
Hehe, like I said I thought they were all pretty good so you did a good job :smile:

Hmmm lets play guess who you are :P Were you working on the social networking app for mac that's currently in beta?
Reply 18
James305
Hehe, like I said I thought they were all pretty good so you did a good job :smile:

Hmmm lets play guess who you are :P Were you working on the social networking app for mac that's currently in beta?

No, I didn't. I think I'd like to remain as anonymous as possible, so let's stop the guessing. I wish you guys the best of luck for your applications.
Reply 19
James305
Hi, just found this thread as I also had my interview on the 4th (I might have even seen you there :wink:

I'm not sure how my interview went; I don't think it was appalling, but not brilliant either. I was asked a few questions about my personal statement and then given 2 logic problems with a small amount of maths involved (basically both problem solving questions).

I would kill for an offer though, loved the place :smile: Never seen it before but I would love to be in London for a few years, so just hoping. I have an interview at Southampton too, a week today in fact!

Who was your interviewer, just out of curiosity?

Latest