The Student Room Group

Should they Legalize Marijuana?

It is not more dangerous than alcohol, and maybe in fact is less dangerous as evidence could suggest.

Legalizing marijuana could perhaps mean we could monitor how much people have and recommend certain units like we do with alcohol. It also has benefits, and if we tax it, not only will people buy it less (sad for me, but you know) but it would also boost the economy to such a great extent.

What are people`s views?

Scroll to see replies

That is always the arguement, but it would end up people getting stoned all the time instead of working at school/university ect.
Reply 2
God, this new to tsr.
nasri-diaby
God, this new to tsr.

This.

And yes - the amount of revenue generated in tax would be phenomenal.
Reply 4
Dream Weaver
That is always the arguement, but it would end up people getting stoned all the time instead of working at school/university ect.

Less than 10% of people in the Netherlands smoke dope on a regular basis.

NEXT
Reply 5
I think they should legalise all drugs, more tax revenue, can control what is put into them (not cut with anything dodgy etc, would get rid of some crime. Also the fact alcohol is more dangerous than most drugs as well means that really others might as well be legal
Reply 6
Read the other threads.
Reply 7
Dream Weaver

Same way everyone gets drunk and never does any work...O wait....
Reply 8
Dream Weaver

Just like alcohol means everyones constantly drunk :dunce:
Reply 9
I honestly think this certain drug isn't that dangerous compared to alcohol. Big boost to the economy which we need so I would say yes go for it.
Reply 10
Is it wierd that no one ever dissagrees with this??? Silly law.
Carl
Less than 10% of people in the Netherlands smoke dope on a regular basis.

NEXT

Exactly, and so many ordinary, NON DRUGGIE people smoke or bake marijuana quite a lot, as they don`t really consider it as a proper drug, just like a relaxing version of cigarettes slash alcohol. They`ve become lawyers, doctors, successful businesspeople, musicians etc....
Reply 12
Well if alcohol was discovered today, it would most certainly be a banned substance according to the current classification system in the UK.

Politicians won't compare any drug to the standard of alcohol as that is rather an exception to the rules than a clinch-point of legality.
Reply 13
http://blog.norml.org/2009/10/27/breaking-news-california-lawmakers-to-debate-marijuana-legalization-tomorrow/

It's possible it could become fully legalised in california tomorrow (that's drastic, it's more of a meeting to discuss it but it's hopefully a catalyst). If it does, then that's sure as **** gonna set the ball rolling. There's not gonna be sudden outbreaks of violence or anything bad - we'll get a regulated and taxed trade similar to that of alcohol.

Decriminalisation isnt the answer, legalisation is.

Somebody getting a criminal record for possesing marijauna for personal use is not justified - it's a public health issue not a criminal one.
Reply 14
Natasha_c

Public opinion is greatly out of step with opinion here. If my mum knew I smoked dope I think she'd disown me.
Reply 15
Natasha_c

So you know so much in law-making process?
Что глазки уже заблестели?
I think Yes.

I'm not gonna go into great detail as I'm trying to write a History essay...

Anyway, it would bring countless benefits; reduced crime, decreased use in under 18s, more focus on actual HARD drugs etc etc

Just think about what you say before you say it, people would not go out and get stoned all day BECAUSE THEY COULD, it's not like that, look at the Netherlands, there has been no marked increase in mental health problems (actually a decrease), or in crime, but quite the opposite!

There may be a brief interest in Cannabis at the legalisation point but after that it would die out and just become normal - it should be used over alcohol and I think it would be a great think for the UK at least to get away from the awful binge-drinking culture and start chilling the **** out.

Hopefully California will start the legalisation process next year.

And just for the record: I smoke weed quite a bit, in the last week I've spent at last 5 of the 7 days getting high (not all day, but I've been baked at some point) anyway, I have a great social life, I don't take any hard drugs (alcohol or otherwise) and I am extremely happy - I have a brilliant girlfriend, some great mates, a job and I do good in college. Just so people don't think I'm some 'druggie' like some people seem to think cannabis smokers are....
Reply 17
It is absurd for weed to be illegal whilst alcohol is legal. Having spent some time in Amsterdam, I can confirm that people are not all walking round stoned off their tits. It's a relatively benign substance.
Reply 18
Aye they should.
Reply 19
stoners unite !

Latest

Trending

Trending