The Student Room Group

Religious Idiots and Priceless Comedy (Curb Your Enthusiasm) DO NOT MATCH.

I have had it with religious morons attempting to ruin comedy with their constant whining and bitching.

If you're of a moronic (i.e. religious) persuasion, then simply do NOT WATCH TV. Do NOT listen to the radio. Do NOT read books. Do NOT go on the internet, and last, but far from least, DO NOT enter into conversation with someone who is not similarly deluded as you. It will only lead to you being offended and feeling the need to mindlessly complain to a generation that does not care, and organisations who, like me, find it impossible to empathise with the brain-dead.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2009/10/28/catholic-league-blasts-larry-david-curb-episode-urinates-jesus/

Scroll to see replies

The comedy keeps coming if you read the comments, "freedom of speech has gone too far".

Also i found this poll on the site:

Did 'Curb' and HBO Cross the Line?

Yes. This is unacceptable. Islam or any other religion would never be mocked like this. 76% (99,577 votes)

Yes. Every religion needs a sense of humor but this is not funny. 14% (17,900 votes)

No. This is a comedy show, and anyone and anything can be a target. 10% (12,600 votes)

I'm not sure. <1% (499 votes)

Bad times
Reply 2
rich2606
The comedy keeps coming if you read the comments, "freedom of speech has gone too far".

Also i found this poll on the site:

Did 'Curb' and HBO Cross the Line?

Yes. This is unacceptable. Islam or any other religion would never be mocked like this. 76% (99,577 votes)

Yes. Every religion needs a sense of humor but this is not funny. 14% (17,900 votes)

No. This is a comedy show, and anyone and anything can be a target. 10% (12,600 votes)

I'm not sure. <1% (499 votes)

Bad times

It's a sad world when a poll like that exists, when a poll like that has those results, and when Fox News has at least 100,000 people tuning into the website.
Reply 3
They do have a pretty good point, if they even had a picture of Mohammed there would be protests and perhaps even murders, yet he pisses on a picture of Jesus. It is just disrespectful. It's not like we are ruining your tv by asking for the very basic respect for our symbols. It's a shame, it shouldn't even have to be asked for, people should just not behave like scum bags. When stuff has a point to make, and it is actually funny, then I have no problem with it. Always Sunny had an episode a while ago where they made light of the Catholic belief in miracles, and they did it very well.
Reply 4
Fox News
Larry David is being criticized for a story line in which his character urinates on a photo of Jesus Christ.

:curious: Now that would be impressive.
Reply 5
rich2606

This point is absolutely true, no one would ever mock Islam or any other religion in this way. Don't you remember all the uproar that came about because of a few cartoons of Mohammed? If some American pissed on a picture of him and then broadcast it on national TV, all hell would break loose - seriously, there'd be jihads galore, and some other 9/11-type incident.

There is nothing wrong with poking fun at religion, of course there isn't. But using vile toilet humour to desecrate a religious symbol is incredibly offensive to that religion and not at all funny.
Reply 6
I always find it funny how the religous feel they have a right to be protected from criticism and ridicule or be abused abuse for their beliefs. They shouldn't have any more right than the advocates of any secular political, social, ethical or other belief systems have to such protection. Crude toilet humour comes part and parcel of free speech and free expression. Are any of you religous folk prepared to sacrifice your rights to free speech and hand over the power to the state, just so you won't get the hump?
I haven't seen the episode, but from reading the article it sounds like he spattered the picture by accident, he didn't just saunter in and slosh all over it. Not surprised by the poll though, it is Fox after all. Probably the worst news broadcaster I've ever seen.
Reply 8
Aeolus
I always find it funny how the religous feel they have a right to be protected from criticism and ridicule or be abused abuse for their beliefs. They shouldn't have any more right than the advocates of any secular political, social, ethical or other belief systems have to such protection. Crude toilet humour comes part and parcel of free speech and free expression. Are any of you religous folk prepared to sacrifice your rights to free speech and hand over the power to the state, just so you won't get the hump?

Are people not allowed to complain about it? Complaining has nothing whatsoever to do with asking for free speech to be taken away. If someone took a huge dump on a photo of your dead grandma, are you not allowed to tell them off or ask for an apology because you don't want 'to sacrifice their rights to free speech'? No, of course not :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Tefhel
Are people not allowed to complain about it? Complaining has nothing whatsoever to do with asking for free speech to be taken away. If someone took a huge dump on a photo of your dead grandma, are you not allowed to tell them off or ask for an apology because you don't want 'to sacrifice their rights to free speech'? No, of course not :rolleyes:

When did i imply you were not allowed to complain about it? In fact i think i suggest the opposite above. The question at the end was a genuine one, do you support the incitement to religous hatred laws?
the point about either everything is ok to make fun of, or nothing is, was made very well in the south park episode Cartoon Wars Part 1 &2, though unfortunately their network chickened out and they were forced to show a text description of what happened in a scene rather than show an image of mohammed like they wanted. Its all down to the fact that terrorism has been allowed to win with regard to free speech and islam and no one is willing to make a stand.
I don't see how Bill Donahue can complain, I mean he regularly poops out Jesus anyways.
Reply 12
rich2606
the point about either everything is ok to make fun of, or nothing is, was made very well in the south park episode Cartoon Wars Part 1 &2, though unfortunately their network chickened out and they were forced to show a text description of what happened in a scene rather than show an image of mohammed like they wanted. Its all down to the fact that terrorism has been allowed to win with regard to free speech and islam and no one is willing to make a stand.

This is what it boils down to in the end. Fear. Unfortunately a side effect of our right to free speech and freedom of expression is resentment and hatred from those people you offend. You would think that the state and Government should be on your side and protecting you from religous bigots who get annoyed because you piss on a picture of the messiah or indeed draw a picture of their prophet. But instead they pass laws like the relogous and racial hatred acts. Which protect and legitimise those who get offended and threaten violence. Those laws legitimise the fatwa called against Rushdie etc..

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression should be universal. Wether it is someone drawing offensive pictures of Mohammed or Islamic extremists calling for shariah in the UK.
Reply 13
Aeolus
When did i imply you were not allowed to complain about it? In fact i think i suggest the opposite above. The question at the end was a genuine one, do you support the incitement to religous hatred laws?

Did you even read the article? The whole point of the statement of the Catholic guy was that it has to be fair, you are either allowed to mock all religions, or none. You can't have double standards that it's always OK to mock Christianity but never mocking Judaism or Islam is somehow more offensive and therefore 'forbidden'.

I don't particularly care about the incitement to religious hatred laws, however, I don't see why anyone should be allowed to stir up religious hatred - which is what the laws are about. They don't say you can't make fun of religions, you can mock as much as you want as long as you aren't trying to condition people to hate x religion. Those laws frankly aren't particularly relevant to the topic at hand since they wouldn't apply in this case.
Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, also criticized the episode, saying David should "quit while he's ahead," and that the show is proof that the comedian's best years are behind him.

:toofunny: GTFO Donohue, and get a sense of humour on the way. People who take a offence at Curb of all things are missing the point of the show and shouldn't watch it in the first place. I'm willing to bet my left leg that neither Hudson or Donohue have ever watched other episodes of Curb, a series which has satirised just about every branch of society over the years - without complaint. Christians seriously need to lighten up.
Reply 15
Tefhel
Did you even read the article? The whole point of the statement of the Catholic guy was that it has to be fair, you are either allowed to mock all religions, or none. You can't have double standards that it's always OK to mock Christianity but never mocking Judaism or Islam is somehow more offensive and therefore 'forbidden'.

I wasn't aware we weren't allowed to mock Islam or Judaism?
Aeolus
I wasn't aware we weren't allowed to mock Islam or Judaism?

I think you're a bit confused. No one here (including the people quoted in the article itself) is saying that people shouldn't be ALLOWED to do anything, just that they SHOULDN'T, as a matter of courtesy. This is a question of decency, not legality. Your precious free speech is not under threat, but that doesn't mean that whatever you do or say is okay from a moral standpoint.

I get really annoyed when people assume that legal = ethical. They are completely different.
Reply 17
DC Doberman
I think you're a bit confused. No one here (including the people quoted in the article itself) is saying that people shouldn't be ALLOWED to do anything, just that they SHOULDN'T, as a matter of courtesy. This is a question of decency, not legality. Your precious free speech is not under threat, but that doesn't mean that whatever you do or say is okay from a moral standpoint.

And who is to say what is okay or not? And what moral standpoint are you reffering to? A christian moral standpoint?
Aeolus
And who is to say what is okay or not? And what moral standpoint are you reffering to? A christian moral standpoint?

There you go again, assuming someone has to be the authority on what's right and wrong.

I'm talking about everyone's INDIVIDUAL morality. These "religious idiots" that you like insulting so much have every right to say that this is in bad taste, and I agree with them. That has NOTHING to do with my personal religious persuasion. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. We're just expressing our disappointment for something that we find juvenile and disrespectful.
Reply 19
Tefhel
Maybe the social norm of common decency?

So according to the social norms of common decency we are not allowed to insult or mock each others beliefs and ideologies? Where is the line drawn? What is okay to mock and what isn't?

Latest

Trending

Trending