The Student Room Group

How to get a A* in A-level Psychology (WJEC)

Hiya, was wondering if anyone knew how many UMS marks you need to get a A* in Psychology (specifically the WJEC board)? I know that you have to achieve 90% of the UMS marks in the A2 exam; my teacher has been quite vague, so any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply 1
If your A2 exams are out of 200 UMS, then you need to obtain 180/200 UMS.
Reply 2
I think a lot of teachers are vague on this because they dont really know! Its new and the exam boards are also vague.

Its not just an issue of what you get at A2, it also includes how well you do at AS.

Dont ask me what the scores are. I dont know. I know you have to have scored an A at AS - whether thats an A on each paper or overall I am not sure.
Then you have to score a high A on A2 to be in the running for an A*

This is to prevent people doing really well on A" in one paper and coming out withy high socres but not having done well in the other papers.
A* represents an overall high performance.
Reply 4
wellpastmybedtime
I think a lot of teachers are vague on this because they dont really know! Its new and the exam boards are also vague.

Its not just an issue of what you get at A2, it also includes how well you do at AS.

Dont ask me what the scores are. I dont know. I know you have to have scored an A at AS - whether thats an A on each paper or overall I am not sure.
Then you have to score a high A on A2 to be in the running for an A*

This is to prevent people doing really well on A" in one paper and coming out withy high socres but not having done well in the other papers.
A* represents an overall high performance.

I think it's well past your bed time. Goodnight.
goldsilvy
I think it's well past your bed time. Goodnight.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother offereing to help people.

Maybe I just should go to bed and let all those teachers who suck "help" you. Then you might all have something to complain/ be rude about. :frown:
Reply 6
wellpastmybedtime
Sometimes I wonder why I bother offereing to help people.

Maybe I just should go to bed and let all those teachers who suck "help" you. Then you might all have something to complain/ be rude about. :frown:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level
Let me tell you something - I can assure you both as a WJEC teacher and as a WJEC examiner that we do not actually know how WJEC are going to assess A*. So much for the info on your wonderful website.

As I said, I tried to help. I told the truth. But you are all so black and white , I know more than anyone here , that you actually make fools of yourselves and you stop anyone trying to help you.

As I said, maybe students here are so up themselves they should be left to make their own mistakes.

You will get the teachers you deserve. Unfortunately some of you will not get the poor grades you equally deserve because some other sucker will pull their finger out to help you. It wont be me though.
Reply 8
wellpastmybedtime
Let me tell you something - I can assure you both as a WJEC teacher and as a WJEC examiner that we do not actually know how WJEC are going to assess A*. So much for the info on your wonderful website.

As I said, I tried to help. I told the truth. But you are all so black and white , I know more than anyone here , that you actually make fools of yourselves and you stop anyone trying to help you.

As I said, maybe students here are so up themselves they should be left to make their own mistakes.

You will get the teachers you deserve. Unfortunately some of you will not get the poor grades you equally deserve because some other sucker will pull their finger out to help you. It wont be me though.

An email from WJEC.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 November 2009 09:35
To: Mumford, Angela
Subject: RE: A* query

Candidates must gain Grade A on the qualification overall and at least
90% of the maximum uniform mark on the aggregate of the A2 units.

Kieran Mc Donnell
A Level Section Head
Tel No. 029 20 265 148
Interesting since he isnt actually the guy in charge of Psychology A level nor even the second in
command there.

But you can believe what you want. I prefer some proof myself
he following is from my WJEC teachers guide for the WJEC Psychology specification

"students have to achieve 90% overall to gain an A*, but this must include 90% on one A2 module. This is to ensure the better marks are not just from AS."

Those who are looking for this A* might want to take note of that second part.
Maybe we are at cross purposes here.

My point is that we as examiners do not know what standard we will be applying to the mark scheme.

One of the things that happened in the January AS exams was that WJEC instructed examiners to makr harshly and so few students were able to gain the top band of marks. Its very likely that will happen again. Whilst you might need 90% at A2 to get the A* dont count on actually being awarded top band for your answers unless they are very high standard.

Since we dont have books and there is little guidence , that isnt going to happen easily on WJEC.
Reply 12
what ur saying is they are gonna make it hard
Reply 13
richardxxx
what ur saying is they are gonna make it hard

Pretty much. Especially with the WJEC course being as difficult as it is anyway...
I am an examiner for WJEC and we were definitley NOT told to "mark harshly". Marking always applies the mark scheme accurately and fairly and all marks are moderated by senior examiners.

Latest

Trending

Trending