The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
They are complete, utter scum, and a blight on the human race and our country. Their disregard for other people's property is disgusting, you can't just go squat in someone's field and make a huge mess of it - they then proceed to ransack communities and steal money - vile, vile people. I think you'd find it very difficult to find someone with anything good to say about them... (I realise that they may not all do this, and if they own their own field and do not do anything illegal then they aren't included in these statements).
mathew551
You are because you're only looking at some gypsies, yet you word it so that you imply that all gypsies do this:

Pretty much all gypsies do that.

It's not generalising if it's correct.
TheMeister
He's not.

Yes he is. Read what he said!
most people on here who are defending gpysies have never met them or seen the damage they do, many of them are criminals and they usually are a drain on society.

Not all of them are like it, some are hard working and decent. Pretty much all of them think they're above the law, which they usually are because they live off the grid and generally don't like the tax paying public.
It's like I said to you in that thread yesterday OP. Perhaps you didn't see it...

"Ah well, we've had very different experiences then. My, and my local neighbours experiences with gypsy men have all been unpleasant. Gypies annoy people because of their seeming immunity to the law. Example, girl I know ran a roadside cafe, gypsies were caught stealing from the store part of it. When she remonstrated with them they kicked a window in, threatened her and then left. She phoned the police in a town up the road who pulled over the gypsies in question, but long story short they were let go. Generally, here (N. Ireland) at least (I'm assuming you're in England, not Italy) they have flagrant disregard for the law in general and as a consequence are going to be resented for that.

Edit: Have to disagree with you on the second part of your statement there as well actually, my mother worked with gypsy women about a decade ago, I can't recall the particulars, but she said they were nice girls, wild but nice - however they had no choice, they were born into that life and it was very hard to get out."
The word 'gypsies' has too many different meanings. It does not define one singular 'type' or 'group' of people but does have roots in ethnicity. For example my great, great grandfather was a 'gypsy' but I live in a nice house and cringe when someone drops gum on the pavement. 'Traveller' is probably a better word to describe the people you are talking about, and even then there are just too many variations to judge. To say travellers are inconsiderate thieves and squattors is like saying the Americans can't live without Fast Food, or the English survive solely on tea and scones; whilst it may be true for a minority, it is (as someone has already said) mostly this minority giving the rest a bad name. To judge and insult all travellers, gypsies or whatever you want to call them is unbelievably racist and ignorant. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Seriously ask industrial securtiy guards what they think of them or people that have to deal with them, they're just a pain in the arse.

Most are thieves and drug dealers, plus they love too fight.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a gypsy in the UK. Where would I go to find one?
AdviceSeeker09
Maybe not all, just a vast majority. I may be being stereotypical, but it's my opinion. Bite me.

*Chomp!*

The vast majority of the ones I have known have been fine, you do get the troublesome minority who are a nightmare though.

The legal difficulty in getting moved on though is such that I am seriously pondering doing the gypsy thing for my clinical years to save some money.
Most sites that Gypsies have left where i live are littered with they're rubbish that they didn't clean up. There were Gypsies who camped on the site of my school (when we had moved to a new site) they broke into the old building and one man fell of the roof and tried to sue the school because he hurt himself.

There is a (permenant) Gypsy camp in a village near my town and they refuse to leave even though the land is in the green belt and nobody is allowed to build there (they have built illegal buildings). I don't automaticaly hate Gypsies but my experience of them has been mostly negative.

The children from the Gypsy camp didn't even attempt to integrate in our school even though the reception towards them was positive, the hardly ever turned up, perhaps attending school on average twice a week.

I can see why people develop negative views towards Gypsies.
Reply 50
A quick thought : the gyppos near me, one of them has a brand new caravan, trailer and a new Audi A4. I bet they didn't get the money for such purchases by hard work and honesty...
GodspeedGehenna
Pretty much all gypsies do that.

It's not generalising if it's correct.

If you can't prove that it's correct (which is impossible) then you're generalising.
Sorry, back on the soapbox: Did anyone consider the people who run fairgrounds? True, a dishonest way to make a living if ever there was one, but at least they're TRYING. Rather than claiming BENEFITS. Increasing TAXES. Making us moan even MORE. Heaven forbid.
mathew551
If you can't prove that it's correct (which is impossible) then you're generalising.

Nah.
GodspeedGehenna
Nah.

Thought not.
BigFudamental
I'm not sure I've ever seen a gypsy in the UK. Where would I go to find one?

I'd say if you take a trip down to the local filling station there'll be one there siphoning the tanks.
Crime, the fact they do things such as squat and then claim land they have no right to, etc.
Reply 57
I cannot stand racism towards Roma. They are one of the last people it's ok to be racist against, even in newspapers.

I have Roma blood and I know some wonderful people of that race. It has a rich culture, its own religion and language and art methods, they are not just these... rats. Go open your minds people.
Reply 58
35mm_
the amount of hatred towards them on this site, and in real life, is astounding.

Just because somebody chooses to lead a different lifestyle to yours doesn't make them horrible people :mad:

Wow, a thread not about Muslims. :clap2:
Nambi
I cannot stand racism towards Roma. They are one of the last people it's ok to be racist against, even in newspapers.

I have Roma blood and I know some wonderful people of that race. It has a rich culture, its own religion and language and art methods, they are not just these... rats. Go open your minds people.

I don't think the gypsies in this thread are the Roma gypsies of continental Europe? I think people here are referring to Irish Travellers, who have nothing to do with Roma afaik, and I'm not sure they even constitute a distinct ethnic group. Might be wrong though...

Latest

Trending

Trending