The Student Room Group
Nothing would happen. He'd just act out his role as fidei defensor, without really believing it.

It's all ceremonial. You can't tell me every British monarch thus far has been truly religious; there's so much sex, sleaze and scandal in the Royal family's history I doubt it very much.
Reply 2
There would be no change. I doubt everyone in the Royal Family believes it yet they still go through all the motions - doing ceremonies etc
Reply 3
They'd go through the motions as the rest of us do when friends/family want to be all religious.

As silly as i think it may be I have no problem going to church once in a blue moon if it means something to those who have asked me to go.
I'm sure it's happened. He/she would just not mention it in public.
Reply 5
How'd you know there isn't/hasn't been one already!?!

:zomg: :yikes: :shock:
It doesn't really matter what a monarch thinks or believes. The monarchy is about the thoughtless cycle of ceremony, ritual and tradition.
Reply 7
Yeah, he or she would keep it to himself almost undoubtedly, or if they were really moral about it they'd have to abdicate rather than taking the Coronation religious oaths.

Still, I imagine there are plenty of people in official positions who are agnostic and go through the motions of our established faith.
I can imagine the daily mail headlines now... or rather their commenters.

It wouldn't be any different to how it is now anyway all it is is tradition.

Latest