The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah, I have. I'm planning to revise the ones you've named, will also look at how serious a threat the rebellions were (scale, proximity to London etc) and how the government responded.
Reply 2
Simon_KHFC
Yeah, I have. I'm planning to revise the ones you've named, will also look at how serious a threat the rebellions were (scale, proximity to London etc) and how the government responded.

Do you have any examples of effects of rebellions on govt? Or response of govt, cos I can't find anything other than executions, re-modelling of council of the north etc.
Reply 3
Originally Posted by laura7986
Do you have any examples of effects of rebellions on govt? Or response of govt, cos I can't find anything other than executions, re-modelling of council of the north etc.

Most obvious example would be Amicable Grant unrest of 1525, which actually forced Henry to back down over the policy. Also the combined effect of the two 1549 rebellions which contributed to Somerset's downfall, and, as you said, the execution of dangerous individuals (Warbeck, Mary Queen of Scots etc).
Reply 4
If you were to assess the effectivness of tudor government in dealing with rebellions (remembering you have to note changes over time and distinguish between beginning and end of period) would you say Elizabeth was in any way more effective in dealing with rebellions?
Reply 5
In a way yes, she harshly dealt with the rebellion of nothern earls, and that region did not rebel again. However, she hestitated in regard to Mary Sturat, which allowed her to gather support, which could have led to Elizabeth's downfall. Luckily she was persuaded by her ministers to do something about it, and eventually she executed her, which put an end to the rumours of her being deposed by Mary Stuart
Reply 6
she hestitated in regard to Mary Sturat, which allowed her to gather support, which could have led to Elizabeth's downfall.

Had Elizabeth executed Mary QofS before full breach with Spain and the Netherlands she would have faced a joint invasion of England from france and Spain (Treaty of Joinville 1584 provided for this) really it was a comprimise - domestic issues and Mary Queen of Scots are largely insignificant in comparison to the foreign diplomatic consequences.

Latest

Trending

Trending